PJ Fleck, staff, players deserve support Aug. 31st

Similar to how I haven't seen 1 person say a win didn't count last year? But I see you post both statements repeatedly.

Right. No one has belittled the Rutgers win last year to the point they have suggested it was more of a loss than a win. 9* Wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take that is supporting the team and not the coach. Nothing wrong with that but <b>you can separate the two.</b>

Which was my point, so I guess we agree. Great.

Right. No one has belittled the Rutgers win last year to the point they have suggested it was more of a loss than a win. 9* Wins.

Some wins are more meaningful than others. That's a fact. We were fortunate to win that game, but again I haven't seen anyone say we went 8-5 last year.

Some wins are more meaningful than others. That's a fact. We were fortunate to win that game, but again I haven't seen anyone say we went 8-5 last year.

It's almost like I should have been saying 9*-4 instead of 8-5?

Can't disagree with you there. Frustrating how some people think the worst of someone. Just bothers me. Other than that, I'm good. Haha. :)[/QUOTE

On some websites, the reader is given the opportunity to "block" ANY responses from a particular contributor because of past history/responses. Perhaps Nadine needs to give that option. Personally I like to read all response, even those with who/whom I disagree. I wouldn't want to block SON because he appears to despise PJ. In my eyes, support for the Gophers means support for everyone-everything associated with the program period.

It's almost like I should have been saying 9*-4 instead of 8-5?

Neither make sense because you're the only one pushing that narrative. Just like how you're making up the people think you want PJ to fail line in your mind. Those are your creations and not what other posters actually believe.

Neither make sense because you're the only one pushing that narrative. Just like how you're making up the people think you want PJ to fail line in your mind. Those are your creations and not what other posters actually believe.

I'm the only one that posts 9*?
I wasn't just told this week it was obvious I want PJ to fail?

Nice talk.

On some websites, the reader is given the opportunity to "block" ANY responses from a particular contributor because of past history/responses. Perhaps Nadine needs to give that option. Personally I like to read all response, even those with who/whom I disagree. I wouldn't want to block SON because he appears to despise PJ. In my eyes, support for the Gophers means support for everyone-everything associated with the program period.

That option exists here.

Nice talk.

Sure I've seen other posters post 9* but it was still something you made up based off of nothing.

And sure you swear you 'love PJ' and get defensive when people call you a Fleck hater, yet your posts are far more nit picky and negative than positive. Why? And I do believe you and the others that are negative, still want the program to succeed.

But I'll never understand any of the negativity to this point. Fleck took over the football team during a very dark situation and has done everything he can to bring Minnesota back into a positive light, along with promoting the school, city, state, and football team nationally more than any coach I've seen.

When Fleck starts losing games, I'll understand the criticism. I understand some opinions towards three small words on the uniforms, although I think it's completely meaningless and it was already done by the previous staff. But to this point he has done nothing to deserve the criticism I see daily on this site.

He gave it out then because it literally just opened up with Gentry retiring. They announced it pretty much as soon as they could.

Somewhat off topic: my understanding is we are at 91 scholarships next year, 6 over the limit. Hunter Register seems to be targeted for shunning so that will take us to 90. Gentry was let go or retired but the punter was awarded a scholarship. Juenemann will drop off after he and the other seniors graduate next year so that's 89.

Where do we go from here? I've heard we are looking to sign more recruits (25-28 total) so I'm curious what those that understand the numbers think will shake out to get us to 85. The NCAA won't do a headcount survey until the start of fall camp 2018.

Scholarship grid

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/83/499/7499083.JPG

Nice talk.

No you weren't. I am the "zipper" you are referring to. The post was in reference to SON. And it's clear SON doesn't support the current HC. Which we have already agreed can be a separate issue than wanting the Gophers to fail.

Some of us are a little harder to convince as far as genuineness vs calculated publicity and persona. We don't have to air our views but sometimes it is irritating to see people we view as less than 100% genuine have great success. There's no doubt in my mind the University of Mississippi had factions of fans with diverging views of the publicly pious Freeze.

When someone has to profess over and over again what they are or aren't...usually it's for a reason.

Like Slab (and Mulder) said : "I want to Believe" but frankly I can get past my suspicions if he delivers a quality product.

Some of us are a little harder to convince as far as genuineness vs calculated publicity and persona. We don't have to air our views but sometimes it is irritating to see people we view as less than 100% genuine have great success. There's no doubt in my mind the University of Mississippi had factions of fans with diverging views of the publicly pious Freeze.

When someone has to profess over and over again what they are or aren't...usually it's for a reason.

Like Slab (and Mulder) said : "I want to Believe" but frankly I can get past my suspicions if he delivers a quality product.

Were 10+ people on a television show telling you all about him not enough?

I'll bite.
Not saying this is true, but to answer your questions think about this.
The scholarship to Justin was great. Was it a coincidence that it just so happens to be on the day that the second episode of Being PJ came out? Could it be PJ had this planned from the moment he knew what the second episode was going to be about and wanted to make it an even bigger promotional tool for him and also The U. Also, since JJ is a 5th years senior he does have that scholarship to give out again next year to a recruit. It doesn't help him win a game this year, I agree. It helps bring the team a little closer though and that can help. As I said in another post, this team was pretty close even before PJ got here as Jay Sawvel said in his interview with Nadine. PJ has built on that for sure.

The helmet thing is the helmet thing. See that discussion topic for more if you want.

When PJ talks, I don't mind what he says when it is not the "scripted" stuff. Actually he is kind of enjoyable to listen to when it is not the "scripted stuff". Scripted stuff is RTB, HYPPR etc that makes him sound like a sham wow salesman that is kind of annoying.

The community service has always been there. I just think that it wasn't promoted as much by the previous staff. I would think Justin has been going to Childrens Hospital since he was a freshman. PJ had nothing to do with that, it came from within Justin to want to give back. There are many players on the team who were also doing those things well before PJ came. Difference is the marketing dept. and PJ are publicizing more. Some people like to do community service type things and not publicize it, others want to show everyone what they are doing all the time. Neither way is better. There are others who publicize that type of thing because they are trying to get something out of it. Which category is PJ in? Is he publicizing just because he wants to or is he publicizing because he wants to get something more out of it?

When it comes to the football team, wins and losses are what matter most. If it didn't, then coaches wouldn't get fired for not winning enough. If PJ develops his culture and is all about more than football, yet his teams do not win games going forward. There isn't a person on this board who won't be calling for him to be fired and replaced by someone who can get us to the next level. Including yourself.
Agree 99 99%.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Sure I've seen other posters post 9* but it was still something you made up based off of nothing.

So I'm not the only one pushing it? Huh, I just read somewhere I was. *pivot*

And sure you swear you 'love PJ' and get defensive when people call you a Fleck hater, yet your posts are far more nit picky and negative than positive. Why?

I love having PJ as our coach - never claimed to love PJ. Why are my posts more nit picky and negative? Because I don't like his style. Follow along please.

But I'll never understand any of the negativity to this point.

Im guessing you never understand when folks don't agree with you. Some folks are negative toward PJ's style because they don't like PJ's style. It really isn't that hard to understand. Hell, even PJ understands it.

No you weren't. I am the "zipper" you are referring to. The post was in reference to SON. And it's clear SON doesn't support the current HC. Which we have already agreed can be a separate issue than wanting the Gophers to fail.

So we all agree I don't want the Gophers to fail. Glad we got that sorted out. Am I part of the gang now?

Were 10+ people on a television show telling you all about him not enough?

I haven't watched. I'm on vacation.

I can't think of a coach in America that doesn't have some detractors. And perhaps Fleck really is Mother Teresa, Gandhi, Jane Goodall, Jonas Salk, and a great football coach all rolled into one. He did take a huge paycut to go to MN.

Somewhat off topic: my understanding is we are at 91 scholarships next year, 6 over the limit. Hunter Register seems to be targeted for shunning so that will take us to 90. Gentry was let go or retired but the punter was awarded a scholarship. Juenemann will drop off after he and the other seniors graduate next year so that's 89.

Where do we go from here? I've heard we are looking to sign more recruits (25-28 total) so I'm curious what those that understand the numbers think will shake out to get us to 85. The NCAA won't do a headcount survey until the start of fall camp 2018.

Scholarship grid

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/83/499/7499083.JPG

Good question.
In the grid you posted, it shows only 83 on scholarship for this year, and Justin is not part of the 83. So, Gentry leaving would have nothing to do with JJ getting a schollie or am I missing something?

So I'm not the only one pushing it? Huh, I just read somewhere I was. *pivot*

I love having PJ as our coach - never claimed to love PJ. Why are my posts more nit picky and negative? Because I don't like his style. Follow along please.

Im guessing you never understand when folks don't agree with you. Some folks are negative toward PJ's style because they don't like PJ's style. It really isn't that hard to understand. Hell, even PJ understands it.

I definitely understand when people disagree with me. To date, PJ has done nothing but recruit and promote the hell out of Minnesota. That's his style, and I don't understand how that can be taken as a negative.

I haven't watched. I'm on vacation.

I can't think of a coach in America that doesn't have some detractors. And perhaps Fleck really is Mother Teresa, Gandhi, Jane Goodall, Jonas Salk, and a great football coach all rolled into one. He did take a huge paycut to go to MN.

You want more proof then what 10 carefully selected people said when asked for comment in front of a rolling camera? That is when the most honest things are said. Only thing more sincere is a press release.

So we all agree I don't want the Gophers to fail. Glad we got that sorted out. Am I part of the gang now?

You were for about a minute, but your comments in the "Being PJ Fleck" thread got you kicked out again. :)

I definitely understand when people disagree with me. To date, PJ has done nothing but recruit and promote the hell out of Minnesota. That's his style, and I don't understand how that can be taken as a negative.

You're right, he has done a great job in recruiting and promoting The U of M.
He isn't doing all that promoting solely for the U though, there is a good amount of that which he is doing for himself, either to increase his demand for a later job or to increase his paycheck from the U.

Nah - your still in the Gang of 4-5.

Nah - your still in the Gang of 4-5.

It's a good gang to be in. Very determined. Did you see how many times each of us voted in the recent poll? Impressive.

Go Gophers!

You're right, he has done a great job in recruiting and promoting The U of M.
He isn't doing all that promoting solely for the U though, there is a good amount of that which he is doing for himself, either to increase his demand for a later job or to increase his paycheck from the U.

Which won't happen unless he wins at a high level, which 100% benefits the U, the players, the fans, and not just himself.

It's a good gang to be in. Very determined. Did you see how many times each of us voted in the recent poll? Impressive.

Go Gophers!

The poll with less than a third of the Gophers fan base is the proudest moment since Spoofins been a Gophers fan.

The poll with less than a third of the Gophers fan base is the proudest moment since Spoofins been a Gophers fan.

Well, someone said there was only 4-5 posters who thought we would win 8+ games. Sounds silly, but I swear someone did.

Considering 25 folks voted more than 8 and 22 voted under 7, let's assume a bell curve and that 53% (25/47) of the 68 folks voting "7-8" are thinking 8 (36 voters). Therefore, 61 of the 115 voters are thinking 8+ wins. I only took 6 quarters of calculus at the U, but I'm pretty sure that is more than 1/3 and that 61 is a lot more than 4 or 5. But please, you were saying....

Well, someone said there was only 4-5 posters who thought we would win 8+ games. Sounds silly, but I swear someone did.

Considering 25 folks voted more than 8 and 22 voted under 7, let's assume a bell curve and that 53% (25/47) of the 68 folks voting "7-8" are thinking 8 (36 voters). Therefore, 61 of the 115 voters are thinking 8+ wins. I only took 6 quarters of calculus at the U, but I'm pretty sure that is more than 1/3 and that 61 is a lot more than 4 or 5. But please, you were saying....

I voted for 7-8 wins too. Like I said it wasn't about the number of wins but you can keep spamming it if you want.

Think me and you were talking about different polls. I was talking about the helmet poll.

Good question.
In the grid you posted, it shows only 83 on scholarship for this year, and Justin is not part of the 83. So, Gentry leaving would have nothing to do with JJ getting a schollie or am I missing something?

The Jeuneman award doesn't affect us this year or next. It was simply a bridge to talk about scholarship numbers.

I will be there with my "oar in the water."

Top Bottom