PJ Fleck, staff, players deserve support Aug. 31st

I am really excited about the future of the program and this season. I recently got married and will unfortunately miss the home opener due to honeymoon obligations. Cheer loud for me in section 105!

I am really excited about the future of the program and this season. I recently got married and will unfortunately miss the home opener due to honeymoon obligations. Cheer loud for me in section 105!

Congrats! Sounds like the Gophers won't be the only ones scoring on August 31.

Congrats! Sounds like the Gophers won't be the only ones scoring on August 31.

Thanks and [emoji482]
I definitely lucked out like Jerry Kill used to say :)
I really tried to get us back in to town in time for the game as I love the Thursday night openers.

Congratulations to you both! :drink:

My only suggestions is never again refer to your honeymoon "obligations". Things will go better for you if you don't. :cool:

The game is on my birthday. What a sweet present.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reassess your priorities!!!!

Just kidding. Congratulations.

I know this board is the die hards, but I think we all should do whatever we can to get ourselves, our friends, family members out to the Bank on August 31st. PJ Fleck has done everything he can to bring exposure to Minnesota Football and as fans of the U and Gopher Football we should do our best to get as many people to that stadium for the home opener as possible!

I live in AZ and really wish it was easy for me to go. At the same time I do my best to send my friends videos and tidbits of what's going on with the team and Coach Fleck's efforts. I'm working on getting at least 1 or 2 of them out to the bank.

That's all. I just think it would be great to show Coach Fleck, the staff, and the players how much we appreciate their efforts. That we like what's going on with the program and we'll do our best to support it and build more and more support for Gopher football, because I think this is the best chance, in my 45 years, for Gopher Football to be what we've all wanted for so long. Let's not miss this opportunity, let's embrace it! Drag your friends and make it a fun night! Ski U Mah and Row the Boat!

Or we could show support to the guys that matter, the players on field

I am bringing my grandchildren to the game and we will be there early to cheer on our new coaching staff.

Or we could show support to the guys that matter, the players on field

Strange, I thought that's what the bolded meant.
PJ Fleck, staff, players deserve support Aug. 31st
I just think it would be great to show Coach Fleck, the staff, and the players how much we appreciate their efforts.

Maybe players means something different in bemidjigopher's translation of Some Day...Maybe's post though.

I'll be there despite PJ Fleck. I have nowhere near the excitement I have had in the past because of PJ Fleck. The program deserves our support no more this year because he is the coach than they have in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I support PJ Fleck because he wants to make a difference in other people's lives.

There's this false narrative that everything is all about PJ Fleck, but I disagree. It's all about this culture. The culture is all about serving and giving. If PJ was as self-centered and narcissistic as some of you think he is, why would he give a 5th-year third-string walk-on kicker a scholarship? How does that help PJ Fleck win a football game this year?

Then there's the hubbub about the helmets. I agree that words on a helmet do not help win a football game. But why is that the only determining factor to do something?

Everyone talks about the volume he speaks with and the energy he has. Clearly that turns some people off. Others don't mind it. Others love it. I fall into the category of people who don't mind it. I like that he has the passion, but it really doesn't affect me.

What I do love is the culture. Really, that's what everything comes back to for me. The community service. The team functions. Trying to mold these kids into responsible young men. It's kids like Justin Juenemann who embody what this culture is going to be about under PJ Fleck.

There are some people who only care about wins and losses. I don't. While I do believe this coaching staff can be successful on the field here over its tenure, it's not why I support them as much as I do.

"More than football" was one of the things Fleck said he wants he program to be about. I guess some people just don't like that.

If that makes me a Fleckite or whatever the trendy word of the week is, I don't care. I won't apologize for supporting PJ Fleck.

The Gophers play on Aug 31 and Mrs Bayfield & I will be there as usual to cheer on the team no matter who is the coach. That's what is most important.

I support PJ Fleck because he wants to make a difference in other people's lives.

There's this false narrative that everything is all about PJ Fleck, but I disagree. It's all about this culture. The culture is all about serving and giving. If PJ was as self-centered and narcissistic as some of you think he is, why would he give a 5th-year third-string walk-on kicker a scholarship? How does that help PJ Fleck win a football game this year?

Then there's the hubbub about the helmets. I agree that words on a helmet do not help win a football game. But why is that the only determining factor to do something?

Everyone talks about the volume he speaks with and the energy he has. Clearly that turns some people off. Others don't mind it. Others love it. I fall into the category of people who don't mind it. I like that he has the passion, but it really doesn't affect me.

What I do love is the culture. Really, that's what everything comes back to for me. The community service. The team functions. Trying to mold these kids into responsible young men. It's kids like Justin Juenemann who embody what this culture is going to be about under PJ Fleck.

There are some people who only care about wins and losses. I don't. While I do believe this coaching staff can be successful on the field here over its tenure, it's not why I support them as much as I do.

"More than football" was one of the things Fleck said he wants he program to be about. I guess some people just don't like that.

If that makes me a Fleckite or whatever the trendy word of the week is, I don't care. I won't apologize for supporting PJ Fleck.

I'll bite.
Not saying this is true, but to answer your questions think about this.
The scholarship to Justin was great. Was it a coincidence that it just so happens to be on the day that the second episode of Being PJ came out? Could it be PJ had this planned from the moment he knew what the second episode was going to be about and wanted to make it an even bigger promotional tool for him and also The U. Also, since JJ is a 5th years senior he does have that scholarship to give out again next year to a recruit. It doesn't help him win a game this year, I agree. It helps bring the team a little closer though and that can help. As I said in another post, this team was pretty close even before PJ got here as Jay Sawvel said in his interview with Nadine. PJ has built on that for sure.

The helmet thing is the helmet thing. See that discussion topic for more if you want.

When PJ talks, I don't mind what he says when it is not the "scripted" stuff. Actually he is kind of enjoyable to listen to when it is not the "scripted stuff". Scripted stuff is RTB, HYPPR etc that makes him sound like a sham wow salesman that is kind of annoying.

The community service has always been there. I just think that it wasn't promoted as much by the previous staff. I would think Justin has been going to Childrens Hospital since he was a freshman. PJ had nothing to do with that, it came from within Justin to want to give back. There are many players on the team who were also doing those things well before PJ came. Difference is the marketing dept. and PJ are publicizing more. Some people like to do community service type things and not publicize it, others want to show everyone what they are doing all the time. Neither way is better. There are others who publicize that type of thing because they are trying to get something out of it. Which category is PJ in? Is he publicizing just because he wants to or is he publicizing because he wants to get something more out of it?

When it comes to the football team, wins and losses are what matter most. If it didn't, then coaches wouldn't get fired for not winning enough. If PJ develops his culture and is all about more than football, yet his teams do not win games going forward. There isn't a person on this board who won't be calling for him to be fired and replaced by someone who can get us to the next level. Including yourself.

Was it a coincidence that it just so happens to be on the day that the second episode of Being PJ came out? Could it be PJ had this planned from the moment he knew what the second episode was going to be about and wanted to make it an even bigger promotional tool for him and also The U.

He gave it out then because it literally just opened up with Gentry retiring. They announced it pretty much as soon as they could.

Josh - I for the most part agree with everything you have said here, but you are missing a big point.

Take me for instance, I like the publicity PJF brings to the team, I think he will be a great coach, I think he will eventually improve recruiting, I want us to win lots of games - but also want to be proud of my favorite team off the field. I think PJF can accomplish all this, which is why I am delighted he is our coach. I was a Claeys supporter, but wouldn't trade PJ for him in a million years. WITH THAT SAID, why do I then need to like #RTB, H.Y.P.R.R., Howpher, the new helmets, or what I say is his "style"? Why do not liking those things mean I only care about wins or that I want him to fail? Why does SON saying he doesn't like PJF mean he doesn't want the same success for the team on/off the field as you?

He gave it out then because it literally just opened up with Gentry retiring. They announced it pretty much as soon as they could.

Nope. That has to be wrong. PJ only did it to serve himself and make himself look better by giving a 3rd String Kicker a scholarship who has never played. What a d!ck. :rolleyes:

Nope. That has to be wrong. PJ only did it to serve himself and make himself look better by giving a 3rd String Kicker a scholarship who has never played. What a d!ck. :rolleyes:

You have been a bit salty lately biggy.

Why does SON saying he doesn't like PJF mean he doesn't want the same success for the team on/off the field as you?

When teams lose coaches leave/get fired. If you have been around the Gophers for a long time, you have seen plenty of coaches get fired for not winning. Do you think it is a large leap to think that a person that doesn't really like PJ's style can't hope for a few more bad years to ensure the firing of said person they don't like? It isn't that much of a logical leap.

I have no idea if that is true or not. However, given we are deep in the passive aggressive society. It doesn't take a deepstate operative to put those dots together.

When teams lose coaches leave/get fired. If you have been around the Gophers for a long time, you have seen plenty of coaches get fired for not winning. Do you think it is a large leap to think that a person that doesn't really like PJ's style can't hope for a few more bad years to ensure the firing of said person they don't like? It isn't that much of a logical leap.

I have no idea if that is true or not. However, given we are deep in the passive aggressive society. It doesn't take a deepstate operative to put those dots together.

I do think it is a (very) large leap to suggest that a lifelong Gopher fan who invests a lot of their time on the team, this board, etc. wants the team to lose even a single game. In fact, I would call it <b>crazy talk.</b>

I am yet to have been shown 1 poster on here that wants the team to fail. Some zipper suggested I did which is as ignorant as it gets. Liking the coach and wanting the team to win are mutually exclusive items, IMO. A good rule of thumb is that if you are supporting a JB theory, odds are very good you are backing the wrong horse.

JWhy does SON saying he doesn't like PJF mean he doesn't want the same success for the team on/off the field as you?

I believe SON wants success for the team on/off the field. I also believe he wants that success to happen under a different coach than Fleck. We have another poster saying he is going to show up at the opener despite Fleck. I take that is supporting the team and not the coach. Nothing wrong with that but you can separate the two.

As another poster pointed out it isn't that much of a logical leap. Though it might be too hard for you.

I do think it is a (very) large leap to suggest that a lifelong Gopher fan who invests a lot of their time on the team, this board, etc. wants the team to lose even a single game. In fact, I would call it <b>crazy talk.</b>

I am yet to have been shown 1 poster on here that wants the team to fail. Some zipper suggested I did which is as ignorant as it gets. Liking the coach and wanting the team to win are mutually exclusive items, IMO. A good rule of thumb is that if you are supporting a JB theory, odds are very good you are backing the wrong horse.

Similar to how I haven't seen 1 person say a win didn't count last year? But I see you post both statements repeatedly.

I am okay with you thinking it is a (very) large leap. I think we both agree it is a leap as I stated. I just disagree on the distance :)

We are trying to defend the motives behind random people on the internet. I can't imagine anyone would/should feel like they have a strong foundation to stand on to prove a point.

In my view, I have a harder time understanding why someone would like the negativity of Reusse and dislike the positivity of a Fleck. I can easier imagine someone being miserable with a gopher loss because of their interest in being a bit more glass half-empty and having a desire to get rid of the glass half-full guy. So I agree I don't think anyone will be able to prove that someone wants the team to fail. However, I can definitely imagine that person deciding it is worth it to get rid of a certain person.

To repeat: We are trying to defend the motives behind random people on the internet.

So we have to piece random posts together to try to gather evidence of how or what they are interested in seeing. I am a fool for trying :D. I have been an idiot on the internet before and could be again :). I just think it is silly that people seem so absolute either way.

You have been a bit salty lately biggy.

Can't disagree with you there. Frustrating how some people think the worst of someone. Just bothers me. Other than that, I'm good. Haha. :)

Top Bottom