PJ Fleck, staff, players deserve support Aug. 31st

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
I know this board is the die hards, but I think we all should do whatever we can to get ourselves, our friends, family members out to the Bank on August 31st. PJ Fleck has done everything he can to bring exposure to Minnesota Football and as fans of the U and Gopher Football we should do our best to get as many people to that stadium for the home opener as possible!

I live in AZ and really wish it was easy for me to go. At the same time I do my best to send my friends videos and tidbits of what's going on with the team and Coach Fleck's efforts. I'm working on getting at least 1 or 2 of them out to the bank.

That's all. I just think it would be great to show Coach Fleck, the staff, and the players how much we appreciate their efforts. That we like what's going on with the program and we'll do our best to support it and build more and more support for Gopher football, because I think this is the best chance, in my 45 years, for Gopher Football to be what we've all wanted for so long. Let's not miss this opportunity, let's embrace it! Drag your friends and make it a fun night! Ski U Mah and Row the Boat!

I just moved to WA. Will be tuning into the game while I'm at work via iheartradio. Hopefully I don't startle anyone if I cheer.

I'll be there and will bring my 12-year old. I love the TH night opener as it is something fun to start off the last weekend of his summer with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since he was hired PJ has been on a 24/7 to bring Gopher Football to the top. One thing that really struck me was on the Gopher tour he hopped a a flight for a camp in Chicago , but still got back for the function in Coleraine. I would hope at this stage that the image of Tim Brewster is not still hanging over his head. I went to the Hibbing function and when I pulled in the parking lot
he was out there greeting fans. Iron Rangers are first and foremost hockey fans and are very wary of people that aren't "Iron Rangers " They call them interloper's. Well, he made a lot of friends in Hibbing that day. I agree with OP. I have never felt more confident about Gopher Football and my quest to make it too Pasadena before I do the happy trails. Ski-U-MAH Row the boat!!

HS football starts that same night. Which takes me out of going to Gopher game.
Would be nice if The U and MSHSL would sit down and come up with a plan so there isn't overlap.

I would hope that Gophers fans want to turn out and support the program - but the program is more than just the head coach. Yes, Fleck has done a lot to promote Gopher FB. I could argue that he's also promoting himself to a certain extent - the "PJ Fleck" brand - but that is another argument.

The point I'm trying to make - if you weren't excited about supporting Gopher FB when Kill or Claeys was the coach, but you are excited now, are you a Gopher Football fan or a PJ Fleck fan? Can you be one without the other?

If you are turning out to support Fleck, that's fine. I would hope you are also turning out to support the players - the University and its traditions - Goldy - the Band - and the entire package that is college FB. PF Fleck is not the Gopher Football program - he's part of the program.

This is part of my discomfort with Fleck - the cult of personality aspect. I want it to be The Gopher Football program and PJ Fleck - Not PJ Fleck and the Gopher Football program. The program comes first. At least I think it should.

the team and staff deserve an elite crowd. let's do our part.

Would be nice if The U and MSHSL would sit down and come up with a plan so there isn't overlap.

I really don't understand why the HS games need to be on Thursday at all. Friday the rest of the season. Doesn't make sense.

Short Ornery Norwegian - I think the majority of Fans are supportive of the Gopher Football program and believe PJ Fleck can not only increase visibility, which he has, but grow the success of the program with more wins over time. I was excited for Jerry Kill because he had a track record of taking poor programs and making them much better. At that point the program was crap. The talent of this program is better than when Jerry showed up, but may holes with transfers, suspensions, etc. So this will take time, in my opinion with injuries and QB play the biggest variable to determine wins this year. But back to August 31, I'll be there with all 7 of our season tickets excited for football and excited to see the team lead by PJ.

I would hope that Gophers fans want to turn out and support the program - but the program is more than just the head coach. Yes, Fleck has done a lot to promote Gopher FB. I could argue that he's also promoting himself to a certain extent - the "PJ Fleck" brand - but that is another argument.

The point I'm trying to make - if you weren't excited about supporting Gopher FB when Kill or Claeys was the coach, but you are excited now, are you a Gopher Football fan or a PJ Fleck fan? Can you be one without the other?

If you are turning out to support Fleck, that's fine. I would hope you are also turning out to support the players - the University and its traditions - Goldy - the Band - and the entire package that is college FB. PF Fleck is not the Gopher Football program - he's part of the program.

This is part of my discomfort with Fleck - the cult of personality aspect. I want it to be The Gopher Football program and PJ Fleck - Not PJ Fleck and the Gopher Football program. The program comes first. At least I think it should.

You need to have a more open mind if you're watching the series. There has been no other coach in my lifetime that has done so much to promote Gopher Football. He explained the "Row the Boat philosophy in detail last night. You're either rowing with him, or not. Period, end of story.

Didn't you say you are a Gopher fan but not a fan of the current head coach? Based on your own response you can be one without the other.

And whats wrong about being more excited about the direction the program may take under Fleck than the direction the under previous regime? Not everyone was as big of fan of the Kill/Claeys era as you or as you wanted them to be.

The U has minimal if any control on when they play conference games. And you NEVER turn down a nationally televised opener opportunity. Why doesn't the MSHSL start on Fridays like I imagine they do the rest of the year- or has MN converted to play all HS games on Thursdays now since I've moved away?

The U has minimal if any control on when they play conference games. And you NEVER turn down a nationally televised opener opportunity. Why doesn't the MSHSL start on Fridays like I imagine they do the rest of the year- or has MN converted to play all HS games on Thursdays now since I've moved away?

Well the B1G has largely scrapped their Friday night game plan so, they're turning down national TV games.

The start of the HS FB season is pretty much up to each district. A few years ago, MN basically got rid of all the old Conferences for football, and went to a district football system. teams are divided into districts based on enrollment and geography, then further divided into sub-districts for scheduling purposes. So each sub-district comes up with its own schedule. Here in SW MN, some of the local 9-man sub-districts are playing on Thursday, while the 11-man districts are playing on Saturday. If that sounds complicated, I have to keep track of this stuff for my job, and I have a hard time keeping it straight on which team is in which district.

Then, for the post-season, teams go into Sections that are different than the districts.......... The MSHSL - screwing up one-car funerals since forever.

Here in SW MN, some of the local 9-man sub-districts are playing on Thursday, while the 11-man districts are playing on Saturday. If that sounds complicated, I have to keep track of this stuff for my job, and I have a hard time keeping it straight on which team is in which district.

I'm right there with ya! Of the 11 schools we cover, we have 6 games on Thursday and 3 on Friday.

Not only that, but it's also the NSIC opener for 8 of the 9 MN schools, with 4 of the 8 at home, which could also take away a few fans.

Oh yeah, and that team in purple plays too....

I don't know how reliable of a source MaxPreps is.
Having said that, it shows 74 MSHSL games scheduled for 8/31 and 104 games scheduled for 9/1.

Well the B1G has largely scrapped their Friday night game plan so, they're turning down national TV games.

That's true- also mea culpa on the Thursday game as I thought it was on a "widely available" national stage like ESPN but it's on BTN which doesn't get the same breadth of viewers.

I really don't understand why the HS games need to be on Thursday at all. Friday the rest of the season. Doesn't make sense.

Presumably to let families get an early start on their Labor Day travel plans...that would be my guess.

Presumably to let families get an early start on their Labor Day travel plans...that would be my guess.

I think that is part of it, to allow families to get away for a long Friday-Sunday Labor Day weekend since most high school teams have their normal practice on Labor Day itself in preparation for their week 2 games.

I'll be at a high school football game in a small town in west-central Minnesota on August 31st, but I'll be at the MTSU and MSU games, swinging my oars in the cheap seats.

QUOTE: Originally posted by RUPPERTFLYWHEEL

Since he was hired PJ has been on a 24/7 to bring Gopher Football to the top. One thing that really struck me was on the Gopher tour he hopped a a flight for a camp in Chicago , but still got back for the function in Coleraine. I would hope at this stage that the image of Tim Brewster is not still hanging over his head. I went to the Hibbing function and when I pulled in the parking lot
he was out there greeting fans. Iron Rangers are first and foremost hockey fans and are very wary of people that aren't "Iron Rangers " They call them INTERLOPERS. Well, he made a lot of friends in Hibbing that day. I agree with OP. I have never felt more confident about Gopher Football and my quest to make it too Pasadena before I do the happy trails. Ski-U-MAH Row the boat!! QUOTE

In Eveleth, outsiders were / are known as PACK SACKERS.... It is a good, but odd place to be from.
In any case, our 4 will be at the game, as we are for all of 'em. In fact, I took the Thursday and Friday off to make a big deal of it. I can't wait.

Almost every high school coach in the state will either be coaching or scouting that night

Correct.
Wisconsin season starts earlier and some WI conferences are going to all TH games before Labor Day in order to allow kids to go to their cabins

One thing that really struck me was on the Gopher tour he hopped a a flight for a camp in Chicago , but still got back for the function in Coleraine.

Honestly, that stuck out in my mind too. I thought there was no chance he would return to the trip, even if he was back in Minneapolis before the trip was over.

I'm going to be at the opener. My son's first Gopher game. My wife & I are excited for the family. Hope to see some of you there. Ski-u-mah!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'll be there early...taking Friday off in hopes of a rout worthy of some serious late night celebrating.

The start of the HS FB season is pretty much up to each district. A few years ago, MN basically got rid of all the old Conferences for football, and went to a district football system. teams are divided into districts based on enrollment and geography, then further divided into sub-districts for scheduling purposes. So each sub-district comes up with its own schedule. Here in SW MN, some of the local 9-man sub-districts are playing on Thursday, while the 11-man districts are playing on Saturday. If that sounds complicated, I have to keep track of this stuff for my job, and I have a hard time keeping it straight on which team is in which district.

Then, for the post-season, teams go into Sections that are different than the districts.......... The MSHSL - screwing up one-car funerals since forever.

Remember that District Football was driven by the member schools. It was no different with conference scheduling. Schools having to travel out of state doesn't make a lot of sense to find a game. The State Fair demanding no home games on Saturdays, There's your Dr. Evil

he was out there greeting fans. Iron Rangers are first and foremost hockey fans and are very wary of people that aren't "Iron Rangers " They call them interloper's. Well, he made a lot of friends in Hibbing that day. I agree with OP. I have never felt more confident about Gopher Football and my quest to make it too Pasadena before I do the happy trails. Ski-U-MAH Row the boat!!

Enough already about Tim Brewster. He has been gone for 10 years and he wasn't even close to being the worst Gopher coach of my lifetime. He doesn't deserve the 24/7 hatred from myopic GopherHolers with one-track minds who show very little understanding of the history of Gopher football. Brewster is an extremely nice guy who has never said anything but positive things about the U despite the fact he was treated like a piece of sh*t while he was here and ever since he left.

Really SON! The OP was trying to encourage people to show up for the season opener and you turn it into another chance to voice your displeasure with PJ! Please, just give it a rest. Just because you can find a sliver of a chance to pile on PJ in ever discussion doesn't mean that you have to do it. And you wonder why you are constantly fighting with people on a Gopher Fan Board?

Top Bottom