STrib: Tony's Diner owner is team player with Gopher football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Reiss:

In true Minnesota fashion, Tony Nicklow didn’t let a snowstorm prevent the delivery of prime rib to the Gophers.

Nicklow catered recruiting events for the Gophers football team during the Tim Brewster era. He was preparing to do the same for new coach Jerry Kill for the first time in December 2010, when he learned that blizzard-like weather was preventing the Gophers coaches and recruits from getting to TCF Bank Stadium.

Coaches asked Nicklow if he could bring it to the Bierman Field Athletic Building, and the owner of Tony’s Diner drove his car four blocks in a Dinkytown whiteout.

After the dinner, Kill and other coaches pushed Nicklow’s vehicle out of the snow.

“Whatever they want,” Nicklow said, “I never said no.”

Nicklow missed a friend’s wedding in Omaha to cater for the team. He was on vacation in China when P.J. Fleck became the team’s coach in January, so he came back to the United States about a week early to make sure he kept his gig.

Tony’s Diner, before the sun rises or a customer arrives, makes breakfast for 120 — the Gophers football team — every day during training camp and five days per week during the season.

It’s unclear if Nicklow’s restaurant will remain involved with the Gophers next year when the Athletes Village will open with a dining area and nutrition center. But Nicklow is hopeful he’ll continue cooking for the Gophers in some capacity. His catering for football and other Gophers sports is a financial boost and a connection to the university for a man who grew up attending Gophers football games after working at his father’s steakhouse at the corner of Oak St. and Washington Ave.

Nicklow even prepares his body physically for the job.

“You have to go to bed and get your rest just like these guys,” he said. “It’s not a joke.”

http://www.startribune.com/tony-s-diner-owner-is-team-player/439553583/

Go Gophers!!

Tony's Diner is phenomenal. Dinkytown is a wonderful place. It's great to see a connection like this with the team and surrounding businesses.

"Yes, please! Order, please!" I made quite a few stops to the steakhouse. The hospitality was awesome! Obviously, Tony learned the lesson well, about serving people from his father. Great memories. Home away from home.

I'm sure Fleck will find a way to keep him involved. Who knows, maybe the nutrition center won't be open when the team eats breakfast? Depends on when they eat I guess.

Tony's Diner.... 2 for 1 all day, every day.

Tony is a great guy and big Gopher fan. As urban development has taken or relocated some of the old commercial establishments around campus, Tony's is a great establishment for Gopher fans to support with your loyalty.

Top Bottom