Palm Beach Post: Luther Campbell calls FAU coach Lane Kiffin a ‘rock star’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Palm Beach Post:

New Florida Atlantic coach Lane Kiffin, divisive as he can be, has found a new fan in Miami hip-hop and football icon Luther Campbell.

“He’s a rock star!” Campbell says of the first-year FAU coach.

Campbell, along with other Miami high school coaches, was on hand to watch FAU practice Saturday at Liberty City’s Charles Hadley Park. The practice was the third on the road the Owls have taken since spring 201t6, though the first in Miami.

Kiffin, who said after the Carter Park practice that he’d be open to expanding practices south of Broward, then began working on setting something up for Hadley Park. Vocal support from Campbell on Twitter, including a June tweet about bringing the team to Miami, helped increase the chances of a trip to Liberty City.

When asked about Campbell’s “role” earlier this week, Kiffin deadpanned, “I’m not sure what his role is” but complimented Campbell for his attempts to get involved with FAU.

“He’s come to a number of our practices, so I hope he’s there,” Kiffin said. “It’s good to get to (areas like Miami) so people can come see FAU football.”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...lane-kiffin-rock-star/d0QvfP7EanU7IS7AtjmGfM/

Go Gophers!!

I enjoyed his career and still laugh like a kid at some of the raunchy lyrics from his 2 Live Crew days, but I'm not sure I'd want him associated with my team. But, of course, we're talking about Kiffin here, so good decisions are few and far between:

From Wiki-
Campbell was also infamous in the late 1980s–early 1990s for his association with the University of Miami Hurricanes football team. Campbell was alleged to have been behind what was referred to as a "pay-for-play" system, which involved cash rewards for acts such as scoring touchdowns and big hits, although Campbell has never actually donated to the University of Miami or its athletics department. In 1993, he also threatened to go public with various violations by University of Miami's athletic department, specifically their football program, if Ryan Collins, a black player, wasn't named their starting quarterback for that season.

He's more like a celebrity guest on a game show. You know he's supposed to be famous, but you can't quite remember why.

I enjoyed his career and still laugh like a kid at some of the raunchy lyrics from his 2 Live Crew days, but I'm not sure I'd want him associated with my team. But, of course, we're talking about Kiffin here, so good decisions are few and far between:

From Wiki-
Campbell was also infamous in the late 1980s–early 1990s for his association with the University of Miami Hurricanes football team. Campbell was alleged to have been behind what was referred to as a "pay-for-play" system, which involved cash rewards for acts such as scoring touchdowns and big hits, although Campbell has never actually donated to the University of Miami or its athletics department. In 1993, he also threatened to go public with various violations by University of Miami's athletic department, specifically their football program, if Ryan Collins, a black player, wasn't named their starting quarterback for that season.

Luther is just misunderstood, there's a lot of nuance to his work:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/2-live-crew-party/n9942?snl=1

Top Bottom