Kicker Justin Juenemann receives the surprise of a lifetime from a special friend

The frustrating thing for me is this kind of thing has been going on for many years and if people paid any attention they would know that. Unfortunately not enough people do. I am not a big fan of the "look at this nice gesture I made" type of statement, but it is probably necessary to market the team.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

"Where's my glass? I just know it's half empty!"

Both the visits and rewarding walk ons with scholarships. I think the spotlight is good. It's too bad a t-shirt cannon is needed to get the news to show it. Part of the marketing game though.

Thats the world we live in. Going to the hospital or giving scholarships to players doesn't sell itself. Texting young interns nasty language does.

Fill the news with the former and hope the latter stays out of the limelight.

Both the visits and rewarding walk ons with scholarships. I think the spotlight is good. It's too bad a t-shirt cannon is needed to get the news to show it. Part of the marketing game though.

It's about creating memories. Memories for Justin. Memories for his family, both present and future. Do you think he's ever going to forget the moment he got his scholarship now? Not likely.

It'd be a lot more forgettable if he just walked up to him and said we're putting you on scholarship for your senior year.

"Where's my glass? I just know it's half empty!"
Are you saying I am a glass half empty kind of person based off my post? Quite the opposite actually.

It's about creating memories. Memories for Justin. Memories for his family, both present and future. Do you think he's ever going to forget the moment he got his scholarship now? Not likely.

It'd be a lot more forgettable if he just walked up to him and said we're putting you on scholarship for your senior year.
I think the way he did it was cool. The fact that that's what it takes to grab the media's (or casual fans) attention is what bugs me.

Thats the world we live in. Going to the hospital or giving scholarships to players doesn't sell itself. Texting young interns nasty language does.

Fill the news with the former and hope the latter stays out of the limelight.
I know. It's not like it surprised me. Just stating a frustration.

I think the way he did it was cool. The fact that that's what it takes to grab the media's (or casual fans) attention is what bugs me.

Gotcha. Yeah that makes sense.

Interesting that Cashman's scholarship reveal didn't get this much pub, that I remember. It made the rounds on twitter and locally, but wasn't that it?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I loved the pure joy on his face when he was being picked up by his teammates. So awesome.

"Years ago they would just read it to the guy in front of the teammates. Why don't we just keep doing things the same way... like they worked for years... and the only news to go across the airways and media was bad news about players getting in trouble. Why can't we just do that and go 6-6 or at best 9-4 and be happy? This change is unsettling for me because I don't like attention brought to myself, so no one else should either."

-end of translation

Gotcha. Yeah that makes sense.

Interesting that Cashman's scholarship reveal didn't get this much pub, that I remember. It made the rounds on twitter and locally, but wasn't that it?
Pretty much, but Cashman received his due to his performance on the field. Justin has never played in a game. Yet. So I think it's the uniqueness of the why he earned it that adds to the attention. I thought Cashman's was great too - seeing it again on Being PJ Fleck last night was fun to see.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well, someone watched episode 2 of "Being PJ Fleck". You did a nice job of memorizing PJ's speech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's all you can come back with, it must be true.

I wouldn't debate this would be more memorable. Just didn't find you quoting PJ as your own thought very elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Years ago they would just read it to the guy in front of the teammates. Why don't we just keep doing things the same way... like they worked for years... and the only news to go across the airways and media was bad news about players getting in trouble. Why can't we just do that and go 6-6 or at best 9-4 and be happy? This change is unsettling for me because I don't like attention brought to myself, so no one else should either."

-end of translation
Clearly this is the only formula for a winning program.

I played in a golf tournament yesterday and one guy in our foursome, whom I had never met, mentioned that he had seen the video the night before. We both talked about how great it was and he said that he had not been much of a Gopher fan but that was about to change, he said this guy (Fleck) was going to win a bucket-load of games. Fleck is gaining much-needed exposure to the program and developing a spirit on the team that will lead to improvement on the field, IMHO.

I played in a golf tournament yesterday and one guy in our foursome, whom I had never met, mentioned that he had seen the video the night before. We both talked about how great it was and he said that he had not been much of a Gopher fan but that was about to change, he said this guy (Fleck) was going to win a bucket-load of games. Fleck is gaining much-needed exposure to the program and developing a spirit on the team that will lead to improvement on the field, IMHO.

*This. You change the fan base by grabbing their attention. When he talks about using social media, media in general to grab the attention of these kids these days, he isn't just talking about recruits he's talking about fanbase. He has said over and over he wants to win over people who aren't even necessarily football fans, but will become fans of HOW they run the program. For people who spend time every day on this forum, we are already informed about the good the bad the ugly and the optimists here probably think about our last bowl win as the most memorable recent occurrence and the pessimists probably think about the walk out or the Wisconsin game. For the population at large we are replacing sound bites about players gang raping girls with better messages like this and it takes tons of those to really put that behind us. So for those who feel this is gimmicky and staged, congrats for paying attention and yes we can't fill out 60 scholarships with really good people who talent wise are third string kickers, but I applaud the unbelievable effort being put out by this staff and the attention to details beyond the field.

As a side note, if your a CEO of a major company in town, or just a wealthy philanthropist, wouldn't you want to be associated with this right now? This can't be hurting the fundraising.

-end of translation

Really, really stupid.

Top Bottom