Giving to the U complaint

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I'm posting this in here because I was looking at the Gopher Loyalty Rewards and all of that stuff and thought "hmm, I should donate today" which is something I do every year (or multiple times per year)

Anyway, I'm 31. It took me quite a while to figure out HOW to donate online. mygophersports.com does not work. You have to go to Gophersports.com which also links your account (not sure why there are two different sites?)

Once you go to give, it is also unclear. Does it all apply the same? What general scholarship fund? There seems to be a serious lack of information and clarity. I'M TRYING TO GIVE YOU MONEY. This should be the easiest thing to access. They get money for nothing.

Anyone else dealt with this? Am I really that bad at the internet?

Nope, you're getting it right, mygophersports.com operates like a bad late 90s ecommerce site where nothing is really explained and when you figure it out you kinda wonder why any of it works the way it does.

Example: The complex instructions for the loyalty program make a big deal about the first option you must select is a drop down with a lot of numbers. You are instructed to select 1.... you aren't supposed to pick anything else according to the instructions... but there are all the other numbers.... in the drop down... the option only serves as a chance for someone to screw up.

I'm not a fan of anyone in the U's ticket office.
Every interface I've had with them makes it seem like they have no idea what they're doing.

I'm posting this in here because I was looking at the Gopher Loyalty Rewards and all of that stuff and thought "hmm, I should donate today" which is something I do every year (or multiple times per year)

Anyway, I'm 31. It took me quite a while to figure out HOW to donate online. mygophersports.com does not work. You have to go to Gophersports.com which also links your account (not sure why there are two different sites?)

Once you go to give, it is also unclear. Does it all apply the same? What general scholarship fund? There seems to be a serious lack of information and clarity. I'M TRYING TO GIVE YOU MONEY. This should be the easiest thing to access. They get money for nothing.

I agree that it should be easier to donate from the MyGopherSports.com page. However, from the Gophersports.com page, I was able to figure out how to donate to a specific sport, specific facilities project, or the general scholarship fund in about 10 seconds. The link in Gophersports.com sends you directly to the GoldenGopherFund and you can pick right from there where you want to donate. Each selection gives a good description of what that money goes to. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

I'm not a fan of anyone in the U's ticket office.
Every interface I've had with them makes it seem like they have no idea what they're doing.

What does the Ticket Office have to do with donating to the U? They are not the same department.

What does the Ticket Office have to do with donating to the U? They are not the same department.

The ticket office uses a gopher score for it's users as the primary method of gaining access to swag and the pecking order in which your allowed to purchase tickets, reassign seats etc . That gopher score is affected by donations, so it's legitimate to ask the question "where can I donate such that in addition to helping the U I am also improving my gopher score"

I agree that it should be easier to donate from the MyGopherSports.com page. However, from the Gophersports.com page, I was able to figure out how to donate to a specific sport, specific facilities project, or the general scholarship fund in about 10 seconds. The link in Gophersports.com sends you directly to the GoldenGopherFund and you can pick right from there where you want to donate. Each selection gives a good description of what that money goes to. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Agreed, gophersports.com works great. But why not link that to mygophersports? Why is there two websites? what year is this?

As I stated earlier, I am 31. I grew up with the internet. A LOT of my money is spent online. I have like three things I donate to. All online. Make it easy. I guarantee you'll make more money.

Nope, you're getting it right, mygophersports.com operates like a bad late 90s ecommerce site where nothing is really explained and when you figure it out you kinda wonder why any of it works the way it does.

Example: The complex instructions for the loyalty program make a big deal about the first option you must select is a drop down with a lot of numbers. You are instructed to select 1.... you aren't supposed to pick anything else according to the instructions... but there are all the other numbers.... in the drop down... the option only serves as a chance for someone to screw up.

When, of course, I first tried without reading the instructions it confused the hell out of me. The error messages were bewildering. So I read the instructions, learned about the requirement to put a "1" in the mystery field, but then kept getting new error messages like "can't leave a single seat." I finally stopped trying using Safari on an iPad and used my laptop with the magic "1" in the wonder field, and made my selections. That worked.

I think these rewards are a great idea, and I like the concept but hopefully next year it will be a bit slicker.

All philanthropic giving to the University of Minnesota, regardless of unit, comes through the University of Minnesota Foundation. You can give to any cause or fund you would like by visiting the online giving portal at give. umn.edu. In the search field, type Golden Gopher Fund and it will direct you to the correct link. The short link given in post #8 above will also take you to the correct location.

Thanks for all the help. It is a petty complaint but I'm bored without sports.

Does my season ticket "donation" count towards my gopher score?

Thanks for all the help. It is a petty complaint but I'm bored without sports.

Does my season ticket "donation" count towards my gopher score?

Naw it isn't a petty complaint. You want to give someone money... and inexplicably they're not good at taking free money.

Anyway yes your donation counts towards your score.

Naw it isn't a petty complaint. You want to give someone money... and inexplicably they're not good at taking free money.

Anyway yes your donation counts towards your score.

Thanks for the support and answers. You're a good piece of meat.

Top Bottom