Rey Estes to CB

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

ESTES TO CORNERBACK

Freshman Rey Estes of East St. Louis, Ill., has moved from quarterback to cornerback, by mutual decision.

Fleck called Estes into his office to say he didn’t think quarterback was the right spot for him and thought he could help a thin secondary. “He goes, ‘Coach, coach, coach, you don’t have to go any farther,’ ” Fleck recalled. “I was actually going to come talk to you tomorrow. I don’t think this quarterback thing is working out.’ ”

Fleck said Estes sees a shorter path to playing time at his new spot and appears to be a “natural” at defensive back. He looks the part, too.

“He’s got the shield,” Fleck said. “He’s got the towel. He’s got the gloves. The socks are halfway up. He’s dancing to the music. I’m like, ‘He’s definitely a DB.’ ”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/0...infield-jr-tweaks-hamstring-carted-off-field/

Go Gophers!!

I thought he was going to be a QB though according to some scouts on here!!

It was so predictable I won't even comment, despite you trolling me with your earlier thread...

The important thing is that Coach Fleck gave Estes a chance at his preferred position and then moved him. A lot of coaches will lie to recruits and not give them a chance at their preferred positions.

The important thing is that Coach Fleck gave Estes a chance at his preferred position and then moved him. A lot of coaches will lie to recruits and not give them a chance at their preferred positions.

I guess it depends on what you think "give him a chance" means. They knew full well he wasn't going to be a QB. Sure they can give him the facade of playing there for a few days but there was never actually any intent to keep him there. Kill did the same thing with Donovan Jones (I think that was his name?)

I guess it depends on what you think "give him a chance" means. They knew full well he wasn't going to be a QB. Sure they can give him the facade of playing there for a few days but there was never actually any intent to keep him there. Kill did the same thing with Donovan Jones (I think that was his name?)

I think if you're given a chance to make throws... you've got a chance. Even if they're not thinking he's the guy if Estes makes plays he would get attention.

K j maye practiced as both a backup qb and a receiver too eventually made the full switch to receiver, and helped us win some games

Sent from my Coolpad 3320A using Tapatalk

I think if you're given a chance to make throws... you've got a chance. Even if they're not thinking he's the guy if Estes makes plays he would get attention.

AMEN. I'm guessing he didn't have a 100% completion percentage and max QB rating when they made that decision.

When the Vikings drafted Joe Webb they drafted him to be a WR and he was OK with that. During training camp, he was playing catch with some of the other receivers and one of them grabbed a coach and said "you have to watch this guy throw!". Based on that, they gave him a chance at QB and he became the backup. If you don't think Estes would have remained at QB if they thought he had a legitimate shot of competing at the position you're crazy.

K j maye practiced as both a backup qb and a receiver too eventually made the full switch to receiver, and helped us win some games

Sent from my Coolpad 3320A using Tapatalk

Yes? I don't think you understood my point. My point is let's not pretend it's some holy thing of our coach for giving him a shot there when everyone knew what was going to happen.

I always find these positions switches (usually from QB) interesting. It seems like kids fairly frequently get sold on one school over another based on the ability to play their desired position. If I remember correctly that was the case with Rashede Hageman and Donovan Jones recently under two different coaching staffs. In most cases it's already reported that the player is expected to end up at a different position (Rashede to DL, Donovon to WR, and Rey to CB) before the player ever arrives on campus. I question how much of a legitimate chance the guys get at their desired spot, but it's also hard to believe they didn't know in advance they'd likely be moved if that type of info is already on message boards. Still, it's 17 or 18 year old kids being sold by adults whose job it is to acquire the most talent possible. I hope most cases are like Rey's where the kid seems legitimately ok with switching positions.

Even if the coach is convinced they're going to move the kid, letting them practice there for a while still gives them a shot. If they're good enough to play that position, they can surprise the coach and prove it to him. If he still gets moved, it's because he didn't prove himself enough.

Even if the coach is convinced they're going to move the kid, letting them practice there for a while still gives them a shot. If they're good enough to play that position, they can surprise the coach and prove it to him. If he still gets moved, it's because he didn't prove himself enough.

MB3 is a great example of wanting to play a certain position, the coach letting him, and he earned it and ended up being one of the greats.

Agreed. Glen Mason tells the story about how he didn't think Marion Barber was going to be a RB when he recruited him. But he was so good at RB in practice, he had to keep him there. Obviously that was the right decision.

Edit: Maverick beat me to it.

Agreed. Glen Mason tells the story about how he didn't think Marion Barber was going to be a RB when he recruited him. But he was so good at RB in practice, he had to keep him there. Obviously that was the right decision.

A great Gopher story worthy of repeating.

Not surprised, he's a great athlete, they need to find a way to get him on the field.

Jerry Kill has said he recruits lots of HS QBs to play other positions because they are usually some of the best athletes on the team.

Estes has a QBs perspective which may help him as a DB.

Great minds think alike... LOL

Jerry Kill has said he recruits lots of HS QBs to play other positions because they are usually some of the best athletes on the team.

Years ago Lou Holtz was on 830 during his coach's show and they asked him about recruiting. He emphasized going after QBs for the same reason. But it was interesting because he had several other specific positions that he liked to switch. I wish I could remember now, but it was something like he went after TE to be LB, DL to be TE, etc. (again, I probably have the specific combos wrong, you get the point). I was fairly young and I remember asking my dad why they didn't just recruit QB to be QB. He explained how few kids are actually good enough to make college teams and explained how those kids had to do different things in HS to make more of an impact. It's always stuck with me.

Wasn't Mitch Leidner supposed to become a Tight End at one time?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom