Gophers safety Antoine Winfield Jr. “tweaks” hamstring, carted off field

Reality check. To the best of my knowledge - no one on this board is a doctor or a certified athletic trainer. And, even if you are a doctor or a certified trainer, you have not examined or evaluated Winfield's injury.

In short, you can guess and speculate all you want, but you and I really have no idea how long he'll be out. It could be a very minor injury and he only misses a couple of days. It could be a very serious injury and he misses the entire season. Either way, someone else has to fill his spot while he's out.

Every Football team in the world deals with injuries - from Junior High to the NFL.

Sure - given a choice, I would rather see the Gophers playing with a healthy Winfield. But, if he's not healthy, they're not going to cancel the season. somebody has to line up and play the game.

I'm not trying to minimize the importance of Winfield's role on the defense - I just wish people didn't get so apocalyptic about every injury report.

I have a feeling several folks on the board are in the medical field/athletic trainers. I agree completely that we have no idea how long AW will be out- as I state in my second reply to Rupert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we dont have the experts speculating, then we lose the entertainment value of GH!

I'm still waiting for a hijacking of the thread to blame the injury on Coyle firing Claeys or RTB stickers on the helmet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No stickers on the helmet yet, so that can't be the reason why...or maybe it is

Hamstrings, ankle injuries, and concussions all come to mind as common injuries that vary in time from back in same day to out for a long time. ACL's and broken bones seem more accurately predictable in the time to recover.

Any updates on his injury? Getting carted off still makes me nervous...

Have they said anything more than "he tweaked his hamstring"? If so please quote this post so I immediately get an email about it.

I'm more nervous than a ceiling fan store owner with a comb over.

Have they said anything more than "he tweaked his hamstring"? If so please quote this post so I immediately get an email about it.

I'm more nervous than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.....

Fleck was quoted after practice that he hopes to have Winfield back by the week of the 1st game. Hope that helps.

He had a big smile on his face after practice for what it's worth

Anyone have an update on Winfield's injury?

I could be wrong but I read rupperts post as he has 3 weeks(a tad longer) to heal before our first game, not that his type of strain needs 3 weeks. Again I could be wrong on how I interpreted his post.

I agree. Even if not, gotta love the blood pressure spikes over some speculation on a fanboard. Must be great guys to have a barley soda with. I must have missed the part about maintaining journalistic integrity in the terms and conditions.

Hamstring + Cart = Worried he's missing some games.

Hopefully he makes it back for Buffalo. If not we'll be fine. Stinks to miss games for a guy aiming for postseason awards.

The thing about hamstrings is the reinjury rate is high. You can feel great, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're ready. For this reason, I'm not rushing him back for Buffalo.

If he doesn't make back for the B1G, we're in trouble.

No press releases necessary to tell me that. I have a great astrologist.

Rehab him through the entire pre-season. Bring him back for the regular season. Make sure the young secondary gets a ton of experience.

He is that valuable.

I'd hold him out until the Oregon St. game if it is even a close call, and maybe longer. I recall Lawrence Maroney straining a hamstring in his last year at Indiana, and he played vs Virginia in the 2005 Music City Bowl, but something was missing, and he never looked the same again (even in the NFL).

I'd hold him out until the Oregon St. game if it is even a close call, and maybe longer. I recall Lawrence Maroney straining a hamstring in his last year at Indiana, and he played vs Virginia in the 2005 Music City Bowl, but something was missing, and he never looked the same again (even in the NFL).

Antoine Winfield Jr. will play for Gophers in season opener

By Randy JohnsonAugust 27, 2017 — 11:10am
The Gophers football team received good news Sunday when coach P.J. Fleck announced on WCCO Radio that standout defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr. will play in Thursday’s season opener against Buffalo at TCF Bank Stadium.

Winfield, the son of former Viking Antoine Winfield, suffered a left hamstring injury during an Aug. 8 training camp practice and was taken off the field on a cart. Fleck described the injury as a “tweak,’’ and Winfield was limited during the rest of training camp.

“He’s a phenomenal player,’’ Fleck said. “We’ll continue to watch him.’’

Winfield is an integral part of the secondary. The safety played in 12 games last year, starting nine. He finished with 52 tackles on the season and returned an interception 82 yards for a touchdown against Maryland.

Top Bottom