Gophers safety Antoine Winfield Jr. “tweaks” hamstring, carted off field

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers sophomore safety Antoine Winfield Jr., hurt his left hamstring during a punt block drill in Tuesday’s practice at the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex, coach P.J. Fleck said.

The valuable player in a short-handed secondary was visited by Fleck and then carted off the field. Fleck first described it as a “tweak.”

“He has just been outstanding, just outstanding, so we will take a look at it and evaluate it here in a little bit,” Fleck said after practice.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/0...infield-jr-tweaks-hamstring-carted-off-field/

Go Gophers!!

Not good. Hoping for the best but the cart thing raises my anxiety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have no idea how it will take- what grade strain it is. Did you see something announced or you just guessing as usual?

If you ever had a hammy, you would know what I mean. He didn't walk off the field. That to me raises a red flag.

Had plenty of hamstring strains. Even within grade 1 strains there is huge variability for the healing time. Grade 2s can keep him out even longer depending how vigilant he is following a rehab process and whether his running style makes him more prone to re injury during rehab. To say with certainty that it'll be three weeks is ridiculous. Could be a lot longer or less likely shorter.

If you ever had a hammy, you would know what I mean. He didn't walk off the field. That to me raises a red flag.

Maybe, maybe not. They don't want to increase bleeding or inflammation so immediate compression and icing is important (as in within the first few minutes) and they'd want him to stop using the muscle temporarily. Why would they want him walking around?

He may be out until OSU, or he could be out till November. As always, I hope he doesn't try to come back until fully healed. We need him vs the cream of the crop, but we can get by the first 2/3 of the season,

Second most important player on the team, behind whoever wins the QB battle.

Give him 2-3 weeks off no matter how bad the injury is, pulled muscles tend to linger without proper rest. We absolutely need him 100%.

Had plenty of hamstring strains. Even within grade 1 strains there is huge variability for the healing time. Grade 2s can keep him out even longer depending how vigilant he is following a rehab process and whether his running style makes him more prone to re injury during rehab. To say with certainty that it'll be three weeks is ridiculous. Could be a lot longer or less likely shorter.

Thanks for the only post that really belongs here.

I could be wrong but I read rupperts post as he has 3 weeks(a tad longer) to heal before our first game, not that his type of strain needs 3 weeks. Again I could be wrong on how I interpreted his post.

Hopefully it isn't that bad, and he can be back for the start of the big10 season. Would really suck to lose such a versatile player in the secondary.

CgcYU6I.gif

I could be wrong but I read rupperts post as he has 3 weeks(a tad longer) to heal before our first game, not that his type of strain needs 3 weeks. Again I could be wrong on how I interpreted his post.

Yeah, this. He didn't say it takes 3 weeks to heal. He meant he has 3 weeks to get healthy.

Reading comprehension is good.

Correct Beatles...thanks for actually " reading " it through

Yeah, this. He didn't say it takes 3 weeks to heal. He meant he has 3 weeks to get healthy.

Reading comprehension is good.

Reading comprehension would be improved by the use of complete sentences. "Three weeks to heal" isn't a sentence and can be taken many ways, including taking it as his opinion on how long AW will be out.

Reading comprehension would be improved by the use of complete sentences. "Three weeks to heal" isn't a sentence and can be taken many ways, including taking it as his opinion on how long AW will be out.

Unreal. A tad synical there OG.

I'm hoping for a fast recovery. But, I also remember Damaris Travis missed the remainder of 2015 when he tweaked his in the first game.

I agree, reading comprehension is the issue.

Ha! That may be the single best line I've read in a long time. Well done.

Unless I read it wrong? Wait...

Reality check. To the best of my knowledge - no one on this board is a doctor or a certified athletic trainer. And, even if you are a doctor or a certified trainer, you have not examined or evaluated Winfield's injury.

In short, you can guess and speculate all you want, but you and I really have no idea how long he'll be out. It could be a very minor injury and he only misses a couple of days. It could be a very serious injury and he misses the entire season. Either way, someone else has to fill his spot while he's out.

Every Football team in the world deals with injuries - from Junior High to the NFL.

Sure - given a choice, I would rather see the Gophers playing with a healthy Winfield. But, if he's not healthy, they're not going to cancel the season. somebody has to line up and play the game.

I'm not trying to minimize the importance of Winfield's role on the defense - I just wish people didn't get so apocalyptic about every injury report.

Yep. Winfield was a true freshman last year and did a fine job. We have some good-looking freshmen that can hopefully pick up the torch if he's unable to go. Hope springs eternal and until the results roll in I'm not going to wallow in fear of disaster.

Reality check. To the best of my knowledge - no one on this board is a doctor or a certified athletic trainer. And, even if you are a doctor or a certified trainer, you have not examined or evaluated Winfield's injury.

In short, you can guess and speculate all you want, but you and I really have no idea how long he'll be out. It could be a very minor injury and he only misses a couple of days. It could be a very serious injury and he misses the entire season. Either way, someone else has to fill his spot while he's out.

Every Football team in the world deals with injuries - from Junior High to the NFL.

Sure - given a choice, I would rather see the Gophers playing with a healthy Winfield. But, if he's not healthy, they're not going to cancel the season. somebody has to line up and play the game.

I'm not trying to minimize the importance of Winfield's role on the defense - I just wish people didn't get so apocalyptic about every injury report.
If we dont have the experts speculating, then we lose the entertainment value of GH!

I'm still waiting for a hijacking of the thread to blame the injury on Coyle firing Claeys or RTB stickers on the helmet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom