Zulgad: Here’s what P.J. Fleck really needs to change: the fan base

I guess I disagree with that. Fleck beats Wisconsin and there are going to be very few people bitching about his "style." Also, if you don't live in GH, Fleck and the way he goes about things, isn't that big a deal. Most of the people I talk to are casual Gopher fans. They don't follow his actions and read the tea leaves like GH does. This team starts winning and the fans will come out of the woodwork. There is a whole state that will get behind the Gophers--they just need a reason to do it.

They might be bandwagon, but that is the way it is. Look at Clem's year that never was; the Gopher women's final four year; the excitement when we went to the Citrus Bowl. The problem with football has been just as it seems we've finally gotten over the hump, something takes the air out and it's, "Here we go again." The Michigan meltdown is the best example but there have others like several Wisconsin games or Kill retiring. At my age, I'm placing perhaps my last good hope on Fleck. Get a couple of nice wins, beat Wisconsin, and then start following it up with solid seasons. That'll be the culture change. Expecting to win instead of just hoping.

The above statement is one of the biggest issues the Gophers face. Outside of GH, how many people do you know that could name more than one or two players on the current team? No matter what the record is, those people aren't going to go to TCF Bank Stadium on a cold November day to watch a team play a school they "should always beat" (in their minds) unless a B1G title is on the line. This is going to be a years long process, but it's just like tobacco - hook them young. Get the students going to the game even if you have to give them tickets. Get them to want to go to the game (party atmosphere outside the game, etc.). Give them deals to get them going to the games after they graduate. If you can keep a high percentage of them coming after they graduate, the stands will start filling.

I'm honestly worried what the stands will look like in 5-10 years when a lot of the "blue hairs" can't come to the games anymore. We're mostly missing the entire generation(s) of fans who graduated during the Metrodome era. Once the "I remember watching them play in the Rose Bowl" crowd is gone, who will be left?

The fan base does need to be changed, from a bunch of old fuddy duddy's reminiscing about B1G titles from before my parents were born and considering seasons with our best win over a 6-6 Northwestern team to be great seasons, to actually caring about wins over teams in the top 1/4 of the conference.

I love it when some harry comes along and says this. I am one of those fuddy duddy season ticket holders guys that sat in Memorial stadium for 4 years, was appalled when the Gophers went to the dump and had to sit there for 3 decades. Been at TCF since and will until I die off. All while this legacy was going on, us fuddy duddy folks begged the U to do something about their commitment to win. We have had a bus load of presidents, athletic directors and coaches who have tried and some who have turned their head the other way.

Oh we care Harry, care by staying season ticket holders and being ridiculed for it. Gave and still give money, go to road games and bowl games, volunteer at fundraisers, defend the program at all costs because we love the U.

Great point Highway. Once the Vikes started to sputter, I jumped on those $35.00 tickets out on the curb last year and basically sat where I wanted after the 1st quarter. Did it 3 times sans a victory.

I think you need to start by finding ways to fill the stadium, even if this results in some lost revenue in the short term. Bigger discounts on season tickets, free tickets to students or community groups, discount tickets, corporate partnerships. Whatever it takes to get people to that stadium and fill it up. A filled stadium alone can make the atmosphere and experience much better.

On the field, the Gophers have always struggled to win that "big game"...every time you think you get people on the bandwagon and generate some excitement around Gopher football, they always find a way to take a step back and lose a game they should win or they lose a heart-breaker (think Illinois in 2014, Wisconsin 2005, Wisconsin 2014, Michigan 2003, Penn State 2016 and Iowa 2016 to name a few)

If the Gophers win at Penn State last year and then beat Iowa at home, it's a whole different outlook.

If the Gophers win at Illinois in 2014 or find a way to hang on and beat Wisconsin in Madison, they are playing in Indianapolis.

I know you can say that about most teams, but if the Gophers could just win that one big game and get over that hump, there is no doubt they would draw some excitement. The problem is, they have not been able to do that and then a lot of those casual fans will quickly lose interest and will say "same old Gophers" and not care much after that until the next season.

Most importantly, start beating your rivals on a more consistent basis, especially at home.

A winning program will also draw more 2:30pm games, which will help with attendance.

The above statement is one of the biggest issues the Gophers face. Outside of GH, how many people do you know that could name more than one or two players on the current team? No matter what the record is, those people aren't going to go to TCF Bank Stadium on a cold November day to watch a team play a school they "should always beat" (in their minds) unless a B1G title is on the line. This is going to be a years long process, but it's just like tobacco - hook them young. Get the students going to the game even if you have to give them tickets. Get them to want to go to the game (party atmosphere outside the game, etc.). Give them deals to get them going to the games after they graduate. If you can keep a high percentage of them coming after they graduate, the stands will start filling.

I'm honestly worried what the stands will look like in 5-10 years when a lot of the "blue hairs" can't come to the games anymore. We're mostly missing the entire generation(s) of fans who graduated during the Metrodome era. Once the "I remember watching them play in the Rose Bowl" crowd is gone, who will be left?

My section, and the ones around it, are made up of mostly Gophs fans in this age group.

The fan base does need to be changed, from a bunch of old fuddy duddy's reminiscing about B1G titles from before my parents were born and considering seasons with our best win over a 6-6 Northwestern team to be great seasons, to actually caring about wins over teams in the top 1/4 of the conference.

My family's contribution to Gopher football - 62 years of season tickets
GWG contribution to Gopher football - trolling on GH

TCF Bank has room for us all. Lighten up.

I love it when some harry comes along and says this. I am one of those fuddy duddy season ticket holders guys that sat in Memorial stadium for 4 years, was appalled when the Gophers went to the dump and had to sit there for 3 decades. Been at TCF since and will until I die off. All while this legacy was going on, us fuddy duddy folks begged the U to do something about their commitment to win. We have had a bus load of presidents, athletic directors and coaches who have tried and some who have turned their head the other way.

Oh we care Harry, care by staying season ticket holders and being ridiculed for it. Gave and still give money, go to road games and bowl games, volunteer at fundraisers, defend the program at all costs because we love the U.

Right on brother ! :clap:

I'm with you, Jay. I too had season tickets at the brickyard, the Dump and now the Bank. I'm tired of people calling us Blue Hairs. Hell, some of us don't have any hair. All we need is one great year to get this thing going.

I don't think the fan base needs to change, but it definitely needs to grow

There is a pessimistic attitude all Gopher fans, and Minnesota fans in general seem to have that needs to change. But the only way to truly do that is win, and continue on with the positive publicity and serving the community.

Even the folks that show up don't make enough noise, sit on their asses and leave early. Filling the seats is only half the battle. Got to create a hostile atmosphere for are opponents, hope it happens some day!

This is a multi-faceted issue. let's split it up.

Students. To put it simply, the students will show up if they think it's going to be fun, and if they feel that going to a Gopher game is "cool." Here is where the U and the neighborhoods need to loosen the reigns and let the students have fun. (which really means let them drink. keggers at the frat houses. Hospitality tents for local businesses/M Club/civic groups. Bars have parties in the parking lot, etc.) Get them in the door, and hope like heck the team plays well enough to keep them coming back.

Adult fans: two words - ticket prices. Teague dynamited any momentum the program was gaining under Kill with the donation increase. Season-ticket sales have dropped by roughly 5,000 - about 20% - since the increase was announced. Some of those people may be gone for good. Others might come back IF they feel the entertainment value of the game is worth the cost of admission. The big question is - if you offer people discounts and deals to get them to return, is that fair to the diehards who stuck it out and are paying full price? It would be a tough pill to swallow, but I think the best thing the U could do is just cut all ticket prices/seat donations by at least 20%. Revenues would take a hit, but an empty seat brings in no revenue. Cut prices, get people back in the seats, then hope like heck Fleck wins and wins big. Once games are selling out, then worry about raising prices.

SON gets it...he's 100% right on. Coyle should listen to you because I, and a whole lot more folks agree with you.

change the culture by getting the !@#$%^^& city to let us actually have a proper gameday atmosphere. Close down Uni so the band can march, let the whole campus be a tailgate like every other college. People will realize how much fun college football is and they will realize that nothing competes with it and then we will have our culture change.

Oh look t-docious gets it too! T... I love your plan, I go anyway but it sure as hell sounds more fun wit this!

Even the folks that show up don't make enough noise, sit on their asses and leave early. Filling the seats is only half the battle. Got to create a hostile atmosphere for are opponents, hope it happens some day!

I have always felt this way too, but when I was watching the portion of Media Day when the guys were interviewing individual players, I was shocked when one of the Illinois (I think?) players mentioned that Minnesota was the toughest place to play in the West because of the fans.

Saw a tweet about the fan council met for the 2nd time. Wonder if they came up with any good ideas like have been presented here.

I've had season tickets since Kill's second year, as long as my friends are willing to go, I'll be there. I do agree atmosphere is nowhere near what you find in Iowa City, Lincoln, etc.

Part of that is where our campus is located and we can't change that, we have what 3-4 bars within walking distance? few more if you want to hike a bit. On top of that, there isn't much area for fans to affordably tailgate nor students to hang out. TCF is surrounded by buildings that house MRI magnets, a buffalo wild wings, run down hotel, and a dominoes

I stand and often try to get fans around me to stand up. People with bad hips don't often like getting up

I go home hoarse. I DO MY PART DAMNIT

I agree in that there needs to be more accessible tailgating lots for fans and students at TCF. I understand the location makes that difficult, but not impossible. Improving the atmosphere would go a long way. All of this is of course fixed by sustained success and engaging in the community

I have always felt this way too, but when I was watching the portion of Media Day when the guys were interviewing individual players, I was shocked when one of the Illinois (I think?) players mentioned that Minnesota was the toughest place to play in the West because of the fans.

This.

Hear that the sound level in TCF is very tough to deal with all the time from opposing teams and coaches. The sound is concentrated and it gets loud in there. Very loud every time there is an important play. Don't understand people who are at the games honestly complaining that it never gets loud. Maybe the Upper Deck dissipates the sound and it doesn't get real loud up there. Only sat up there for a few minutes myself.

It's certainly loud down below.

Maybe the field isn't miked well so the people watching games on TV or the phone can't hear the sound. Heard people say how the band can't be heard well in different parts of the stadium so maybe there is some truth to it.

No matter. The sound created by those 40+ crowds create plenty sound on the field.

That's the only place that matters.

This.

Hear that the sound level in TCF is very tough to deal with all the time from opposing teams and coaches. The sound is concentrated and it gets loud in there. Very loud every time there is an important play. Don't understand people who are at the games honestly complaining that it never gets loud. Maybe the Upper Deck dissipates the sound and it doesn't get real loud up there. Only sat up there for a few minutes myself.

It's certainly loud down below.

Maybe the field isn't miked well so the people watching games on TV or the phone can't hear the sound. Heard people say how the band can't be heard well in different parts of the stadium so maybe there is some truth to it.

No matter. The sound created by those 40+ crowds create plenty sound on the field.

That's the only place that matters.

I do think the sound dissipates on the upper levels a bit. The difference in the sound level sitting on the upper deck and in the band pit is astonishing. The stadium was designed to funnel sound onto the field, even the band pit was designed to project our sound onto the field (at least that's what they tell us).

There was a group that came in and did a test of the decibel ranges in the band pit during a game and we got some absurdly high readings, like close to 150db I think. I can ask Prof McCann if she still has the results if anyone wants to know specifics.

Do not discount the older loyal fans because they are the ones who occupy many of those seats lost when Norwood Teague assessed scholarship seating. Between 2016 and 2015 there has been a 16% drop in Gopher football game attendance mitigating a need for quick change.

That is partly due to the residual effect of the scholarship seating fees and Kerry Kill stepping down.

The majority of the 5,000 season tickets lost probably represent that older group who have more disposable income to afford seasons tickets for years.

Yes, I do agree we need to increase the fan base. But, you have to consider all your demographics.

Now we can understand why Mark Coyle wanted to make a quick coaching change with the sex scandal giving him cover. College Sports can be a cruel world. The reality is, we need a change at the U if we are to boost our most important revenue producing sports that benefits the rest of Gopher athletics.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-attendance-in-2016-crowds-decline-for-sixth-straight-year/

Top Bottom