UCLA QB: "Raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have"

There are student athletes with kids that live with them. Dan Coleman had his son living with him while he was a student athlete at the U of M. I'm not going to get in a pissing match on whats tougher but Rosen main point was that these schools are just pushing kids along to win. There are actual college seniors on teams that can't read. Also, athletes being forced in and out of majors so they don't affect practice time

Both are tough, no question there. I wouldn't have a problem with an extra payment in the living expenses column for an athlete with a child. But the point still remains...if you want to be a D1 athlete you have to recognize that the perks might not be everything that you want them to be. No different than any other job.

On your point about student-athletes not being able to read...I agree. That is not a good thing. But I don't think the answer is to give them more money.

Athletes may grad at a higher rate but let's focus on the two major revenue sports. I've seen athletes at the U of M who couldn't read.
In the last 5 years?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Both are tough, no question there. I wouldn't have a problem with an extra payment in the living expenses column for an athlete with a child. But the point still remains...if you want to be a D1 athlete you have to recognize that the perks might not be everything that you want them to be. No different than any other job.

On your point about student-athletes not being able to read...I agree. That is not a good thing. But I don't think the answer is to give them more money.

Rosen didn't mention pay more money in that article. He just pointed out hyprocricies with the term student athlete when it's really more of athlete student. The academic part isn't truly prioritized and there are many athletes that these schools ignore their requirements because of their talent level.

No, you haven't.

I don't care of you believe me or not but a juco player during Brewster era couldn't read past a 3rd-grade level. I'm not going to go back & forth on it or call the player out but I've seen it first hand.

I don't care of you believe me or not but a juco player during Brewster era couldn't read past a 3rd-grade level. I'm not going to go back & forth on it or call the player out but I've seen it first hand.

Oh, so he could read. Thanks for admitting you were lying earlier.

Okay a 20 year old reading a 3rd-grade level deserves to be in college, but the system isn't flawed and education is the priority over athletics.

How exactly did you determine that he couldn't read past a 3rd-grade level? Why were they administering reading tests in a college course?

Oh, so he could read. Thanks for admitting you were lying earlier.

Okay a 20 year old reading a 3rd-grade level deserves to be in college, but the system isn't flawed and education is the priority over athletics.

How exactly did you determine that he couldn't read past a 3rd-grade level? Why were they administering reading tests in a college course?

How do you know anyone can read? Did you administer tests on everyone? How do you even know you aren't a brain in a jar being fed inputs from a crazy mad scientist in a lab?

How do you know anyone can read? Did you administer tests on everyone? How do you even know you aren't a brain in a jar being fed inputs from a crazy mad scientist in a lab?

Your questions are no more ridiculous than Gopher Playa's assertion that he could ascertain someone's reading level by sitting near him in a college course.

Your questions are no more ridiculous than Gopher Playa's assertion that he could ascertain someone's reading level by sitting near him in a college course.
Don't get so fixated on a detail, this is not a peer reviewed scientific thesis defense, it's a message board focused on teenagers that can run fast. Relax a little and enjoy.

Don't get so fixated on a detail, this is not a peer reviewed scientific thesis defense, it's a message board focused on teenagers that can run fast. Relax a little and enjoy.

When your entire premise is based on a made-up "detail," I'm not just going to let that slide by without saying something. I'd love to just "focus on teenagers that can run fast," (should be "teenagers who can run fast, btw) but people keep pushing nonsense agendas. Why are you lecturing me instead of lecturing him for making things up?

Maybe going to the U and getting great tutors was the best thing that happened to this player. Maybe he had a learning disability.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Because he and a few of his teammates told me but I don't get why it is so unbelievable to you that a college athlete can get into college without being qualified for the education part, which was Rosen's point.

Sour grapes
Crybaby
Whiner
crybaby.jpg

Because he and a few of his teammates told me but I don't get why it is so unbelievable to you that a college athlete can get into college without being qualified for the education part, which was Rosen's point.

It's not unbelievable. It's also not at all what you said. "He can't read" is an incredibly vast deviation away from "he's not qualified for college."

Can't speak to reading levels of student athletes nor do I care to get into any type of debate regarding reading levels. Having said that, watching Last Chance U's academic focus of documentary had me wondering how some were cleared to attend D-I programs.

Can't speak to reading levels of student athletes nor do I care to get into any type of debate regarding reading levels. Having said that, watching Last Chance U's academic focus of documentary had me wondering how some were cleared to attend D-I programs.

If I'm reading this (http://blog.prepscholar.com/ncaa-act-scores-what-you-need-to-qualify) correctly, if you have a 2.5 GPA in high school, you could average a 17 on the ACT and still be admitted as a Division 1 athlete. You can get a 17 on the ACT by getting over half of the questions wrong. You should get 1/4 of the questions right by guessing. Is it hard to imagine a scenario where a student could have a low (by standards of most college students) reading level and still be qualified to play (maybe they are decent at math - helping wash out a really low reading score)? I think it's an obvious yes with how the NCAA determines eligibility. I'm not saying it's a bad thing necessarily. Maybe some of the athletes will grow academically with the vast amount of tutoring available.

This isn't normal for me, but I agree with you 100%

We must have been on different sides of the EOAA. Ah, good times.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7Z7fV60XUGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom