USA Today: Projecting the 2017 records of all 130 FBS teams (Minnesota: 4-8; 2-7)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

big-ten-projections.jpg

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...all-2017-records-all-130-fbs-teams/528788001/

Go Gophers!!

I mean, I don't think this is going to happen, but I guess I can see this as a conceivable outcome.
I'd be pretty pissed off by November.

USA Today Sports= lowering expectations

Entirely possible but we also have votes to be a Top 25 team and Hollansity's statistical projections suggest we should do quite a bit better.

Any chance of having a single thread of all the 2017 Predictions? You know so we can go back and check on how they did.

This is a statistical tailend prediction. We'd have to be a complete basketcase at QB and lose a bunch of close games for this to happen.

It would be disappointing and not a good way for Fleck to start, but it isn't inconceivable.

2-7 in the B1G... as long as one of the victories is Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the end, any prediction has as much value as you choose to assign to it - unless you run out to Vegas and bet your life's savings based on that prediction.

Sure, you can sit and argue about the methodology and validity of a given prediction - but it still comes down to an educated guess - or an un-educated guess in some cases.

The reason the newspapers and magazines issue their predictions is because it gives them, and the fans, something to talk about and argue about.

As it used to say on pinball machines: "for amusement purposes only."

If the Gophers only win 4 games, PJ Fleck is officially in over in his head and can't coach in a power conference.

If the Gophers only win 4 games, PJ Fleck is officially in over in his head and can't coach in a power conference.

Stupid. Great coach Dantonio only won 3 last year. Is he over his head too?

PJ only won 1 his first year at WM, 13 last year. Good thing they didn't use a one year stupid ultimatum measuring stick.

Bud Grant only won 3 his first year with the Vikes... should have fired him! (3-8-3)

Stupid. Great coach Dantonio only won 3 last year. Is he over his head too?

PJ only won 1 his first year at WM, 13 last year. Good thing they didn't use a one year stupid ultimatum measuring stick.

Bud Grant only won 3 his first year with the Vikes... should have fired him! (3-8-3)

In a complete vacuum on their own, these comparisons might have some semblance of relevance. WMU took a complete flyer on Fleck with no history. Dantonio one is as you put it, stupid. Bud won 1 less game than the previous season and had 3 ties.

In a complete vacuum on their own, these comparisons might have some semblance of relevance. WMU took a complete flyer on Fleck with no history. Dantonio one is as you put it, stupid. Bud won 1 less game than the previous season and had 3 ties.

Agreed, but Frank Grimey Grimes put it in a way that was absolute and absolutely stupid. Lots of great coaches win 4 or fewer games occasionally and that does not mean they are "in over their heads"

I'm taking the over..... and avoiding the free USA Today next time I am at a Courtyard Marriott.

I'm taking the over..... and avoiding the free USA Today next time I am at a Courtyard Marriott.

Yeah, that's the thing isn't it? The "wack job" predictions get the attention they want, but you never can place a legal bet on them now can you? :cool:

Agreed, but Frank Grimey Grimes put it in a way that was absolute and absolutely stupid. Lots of great coaches win 4 or fewer games occasionally and that does not mean they are "in over their heads"

I agree...but Fleck should feel heat if he only wins 4 this year. Can't see that happening, though.

100% disagree with you. You bring up Dantonio which doesn't make any sense because he has a proven track record of winning in the big 10 so he gets he benefit of the doubt.

Fleck has no record in the big 10 and is taking over a very talented team. I'm sorry, but if Fleck only manages to win 4 games with this roster he has completely failed this season. We're talking about 4 wins. Rock bottom for this program in recent history.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This falls into the low end of the Phil Steele forecast. The ifs exceed the talent this year. QB, secondary, thin d-line and o-line are all question marks. If running backs and linebackers were all that were needed the Gophers win double digits.

I think this is a possibility. It takes more than 6 months to a year to setup a program.

Hopeful for more though!

Winfield's already been carted off, so maybe it's closer than we want to believe. GOG is always at work...

Winfield's already been carted off, so maybe it's closer than we want to believe. GOG is always at work...

When was Winfield carted off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This falls into the low end of the Phil Steele forecast. The ifs exceed the talent this year. QB, secondary, thin d-line and o-line are all question marks. If running backs and linebackers were all that were needed the Gophers win double digits.

Thanks for Reduxing it and I am with you. Even if the Oline was solid I would say 8 wins for sure but that unit is just as much of a mystery as the Qb position.

Top Bottom