CBS: Candid Coaches: Revealing how many teams cheat, commit major violations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dodd:

"Players are smart. When the game is over, they walk through the parking lot. When the tailgate is over, they may have $400-$500 before they get out of there. Players are smart. They may have scored a big touchdown or won a big game. There ain't no question they're getting something on the way. [A booster] is going to go downtown and say, 'I just gave so and so $50 for dinner.' ... I guarantee [that sort of thing] is going to happen at Ole Miss and Alabama and Mississippi State and Tennessee and Texas probably and Oklahoma -- for sure."

"I think it's way, way, way, way less than people think. There is that deal in the SEC and the ACC where they're funneling money through ... churches. [But] as soon as you pay some kids, they're in charge of something. Think of some 18-year-old in charge of something. Call me too arrogant to pay some kid. I'm not paying some kid. Think of some kid saying, 'I'm not getting the ball enough.' Let me tell you something, pal ..."

"Less than 10 percent [of schools cheat]. In today's world, I want to believe it's a minimum number. I always tell our coaches, 'Sometimes today's friend can be your worst enemy.' I'm not going to put my job in jeopardy to let you meet with a kid an hour longer than we're supposed to. All of the sudden he wants to transfer and he says, 'They did this.' Because of that, there are more teams closer to the book."

"Out of the 130 FBS schools in FBS, I would say, in the SEC, 80 percent [knowingly cheat]. Everywhere else, about 20 percent."

"[A coach will say to a student], 'I'll pay your law school if you spend your first five years working in the [NCAA] infractions department.' … I know it happens. I know the guy. He's a good guy, but it's 30 years ago, 25 years ago. You want to know everything that goes on. Bear Bryant used to say, 'I want to know everything that goes on.'"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...how-many-teams-cheat-commit-major-violations/

Go Gophers!!

"Out of the 130 FBS schools in FBS, I would say, in the SEC, 80 percent [knowingly cheat]. Everywhere else, about 20 percent."

200.webp

If the Gophers have been cheating, they must be really bad at it.

That's one solace of having a team that's not a helmet school - you can be reasonably sure they're honest.

So who do we know does not cheat in the SEC? Vanderbilt?

We know Ol' Miss and Auburn cheat a lot, and Miss. St. probably cheats a lot since they used to be horrible and have been very good for a while now... against SEC talent. had to be cheating.

Tennessee, probably is not cheating well enough since they have a lot of advantages and have not been very tough for some time.

Alabama probably does not have to cheat too much any longer, with Saban, being on top, and having top shelf everything, if they are cheating they are as good as John Wooden at cheating, so they will not be exposed for 40 years when Saban is dead

Arkansas - probably cheats a lot since they actually hired Bobby Petrino once, and they are desperate to win, Frank Broyles taught them how to cheat, having to play in the SWC all those years where everyone cheated, in an effort to keep up with crooked Texas

Kentucky - not very good at cheating since they are bad, which is odd since they have a long history of knowing how to cheat more, and are better than most anyone else than in basketball

Florida - had to cheat a lot to keep pace with Miami and FSU, and they were falling behind, before and after Spurrier/Urban

Texas A&M - must be cheating since their talent level is way higher than the RC Slocum days, so much for the fake soldier vow of honesty, apple pie, family and Jesus or whatever

LSU - cheats a lot - long history of giving cars to players, letting in players that cannot speak English or read much

Georgia - Sure Mark Richt loved Jesus just as much as Hugh Freeze, but they had better players than almost anyone else for a long time,, and his love of Jesus had little to do with it, so they no doubt were cheating for decades, I am sure Herschel walked away with a few bags of cash.

I'm sure the SEC and NCAA figureheads are shocked and appalled that such false allegations would be made, while crossing their fingers behind their back.

That conference is an abomination. The extent to which the oversight body is complicit is embarrassing. The best part about it is the attitude. They're either so clever that nobody is the wiser on their mind, or they're above the law. At some point, that pyramid scheme will crumble like they all do.... and it may be the last nail in ESPN's coffin, as we know it.

Alabama probably does not have to cheat too much any longer, with Saban, being on top, and having top shelf everything, if they are cheating they are as good as John Wooden at cheating, so they will not be exposed for 40 years when Saban is dead.

Alabama is cheatin their ass off. Why else would 4-5 stars go to waste away on their bench.... in third-world Deep South (especially as a minority)? Take a quick google search of Alabama players cars in instagram. I believe there was a thread about it on here at one time.

Two things to consider - programs cheating vs. boosters giving players money "unbeknownst" to the program. A lot of programs have the latter. Some are more aware than others, some curtail it more than others, but it happens everywhere.

Top Bottom