Isaiah Gentry no longer......

Maybe it's just my impression, but it seems like we see more WR recruits flame out than at other positions. Sure, some recruits are not going to live up to billing, but it just seems like it happens more often with WR's for whatever reason.

The other night, BTN showed the Gopher-Iowa game from 2011. Devin Crawford-Tufts caught two long passes as a FR. At the time, he looked like a really solid WR, but it didn't materialize. If I had more time (and I wasn't doing this at work) I could put together a pretty good list of WR's who didn't live up to their billing.

Any thoughts on why this is so? Or am I off the track? it would take a lot of work, but it would interesting to see a breakdown by position of recruits who panned out versus recruits who didn't pan out for whatever reason.

I'd say O-line was just as likely to flame out under the old staff. Hayes, Rasmussen, McAvoy twins, Lauer, Alex Mayes.

Both Gentry and Holland really hyped up by the previous staff. Appears injuries took its toll on Gentry? Holland still has a chance to be productive. I really don't remember either getting on the field during a game at all up to this point.

Holland has been shuttled in and out of games a few times.

I was really high on him, and if I recall correctly, the first ball throw to him in 2015, on a third down play, was right on the money for an easy first down, pretty much uncontested.... and to the ground it went. He was RARELY targeted after that.

Maybe it's just my impression, but it seems like we see more WR recruits flame out than at other positions. Sure, some recruits are not going to live up to billing, but it just seems like it happens more often with WR's for whatever reason.

The other night, BTN showed the Gopher-Iowa game from 2011. Devin Crawford-Tufts caught two long passes as a FR. At the time, he looked like a really solid WR, but it didn't materialize. If I had more time (and I wasn't doing this at work) I could put together a pretty good list of WR's who didn't live up to their billing.

Any thoughts on why this is so? Or am I off the track? it would take a lot of work, but it would interesting to see a breakdown by position of recruits who panned out versus recruits who didn't pan out for whatever reason.

Ge'shun Harris, Malcolm Moulton, Jamel Harbison, Desmond Gant.

Holland has been shuttled in and out of games a few times.

I was really high on him, and if I recall correctly, the first ball throw to him in 2015, on a third down play, was right on the money for an easy first down, pretty much uncontested.... and to the ground it went. He was RARELY targeted after that.

I went to the CSU game in 2015 and I'm like 95% sure this was the game. Really bad drop. Didn't see him again.

I went to the CSU game in 2015 and I'm like 95% sure this was the game. Really bad drop. Didn't see him again.

Yup it was that game. It looked like someone trying to catch a cinder block.

In what way?

In a way that say for instance that he didn't know why the audience was really cheering...and the cameraman just kept rolling...sort of way.

But seriously, all the best to him if he is no longer with the team. I hope it's for reasons that everyone can walk away feeling good about.

But seriously, all the best to him if he is no longer with the team. I hope it's for reasons that everyone can walk away feeling good about.[/QUOTE]

I remember one exciting play by Gentry. I think it was against Ohio State. he caught a short pas in the middle, about 5 yards downfield, then exploded downfield for a about 15 more yards before he was tripped up. It looked very impressive, especially for a bigger WR.

I thought, I sure would like to see more of this guy, then he went into hiding again.

When he committed I thought he was going to be our best receiver. Shows ya that it takes more than natural ability and skill at this level. You need to have the mental game too, as well as the genetics to stay relatively healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But seriously, all the best to him if he is no longer with the team. I hope it's for reasons that everyone can walk away feeling good about.

I remember one exciting play by Gentry. I think it was against Ohio State. he caught a short pas in the middle, about 5 yards downfield, then exploded downfield for a about 15 more yards before he was tripped up. It looked very impressive, especially for a bigger WR.

I thought, I sure would like to see more of this guy, then he went into hiding again.[/QUOTE]

I also remember that play as it was 1 of his 2 career catches. And it was against Ohio at TCF.

I thought, I sure would like to see more of this guy, then he went into hiding again.[/QUOTE]

He got hurt on that play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say O-line was just as likely to flame out under the old staff. Hayes, Rasmussen, McAvoy twins, Lauer, Alex Mayes.

Lauer doesn't belong on this list, as he was an absolute stud forced to retire early due to injury. He most likely would be in the NFL right now if not for that.

All I remember of Gant, Gentry and Holland is thinking "Hands of Stone" every time I saw them. All had really bad drops during their brief periods on the field. Reports from practices were similar.

That said, I wish him the best (assuming he doesn't transfer to an enemy :)).

Top Bottom