Isaiah Gentry no longer......

Reaction score
on the official roster according to Gopher Illustrated. Don't know if all the leg injuries took a toll, or what? I think a lot of us thought when he and Holland came in we would be set with two high
quality receivers. I believe Holland is rotating in with the first unit at this point.

He's not listed on Gopher Sports either.

i remember when we got gentry and holland, the pay sites said these two additions were turning points and that we were finally bringing in the caliber of player that we needed.

What's the point.......

of using clickbait in a message board thread? "You won't believe what Isaiah Gentry did!"

I was excited with the level of talent at the time the 2014 recruiting class was signed. Now, I look back at the 2014 recruiting class and there are only 2 of the top 10 recruits from that year that are even still with the program. Although, there are still some other guys on there that will see a lot of playing time this year.

Considering the feedback on how the freshman, Chris Autman-Bell (Fleck's prized flip from WMU), has looked in practice, I guess this isn't too surprising. I was just saying to my father yesterday that if this kid is really one of our top 3 WRs as a frosh, we are going to see a transfer or two.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Gentry and Holland were two I thought could be gone after this year. IG has talent, just couldn't get on the field.

So far the reports on Holland are promising, but aren't they every year?

Both Gentry and Holland really hyped up by the previous staff. Appears injuries took its toll on Gentry? Holland still has a chance to be productive. I really don't remember either getting on the field during a game at all up to this point.

Gentry never seemed like he could stay healthy. Hopefully a change of scenery does him good

I remember walking away from one of the open practices last Spring thinking Gentry looked good in WR drills and his size is damn impressive. He was not injured (at the time), so what the heck happened to this guy?

Gentry brought elite speed. Word is the injuries took their toll on that and although he was still fast he lost that extra that separated him. If accurate, it is too bad. Best of luck IG2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just my impression, but it seems like we see more WR recruits flame out than at other positions. Sure, some recruits are not going to live up to billing, but it just seems like it happens more often with WR's for whatever reason.

The other night, BTN showed the Gopher-Iowa game from 2011. Devin Crawford-Tufts caught two long passes as a FR. At the time, he looked like a really solid WR, but it didn't materialize. If I had more time (and I wasn't doing this at work) I could put together a pretty good list of WR's who didn't live up to their billing.

Any thoughts on why this is so? Or am I off the track? it would take a lot of work, but it would interesting to see a breakdown by position of recruits who panned out versus recruits who didn't pan out for whatever reason.

Both Gentry and Holland really hyped up by the previous staff. Appears injuries took its toll on Gentry? Holland still has a chance to be productive. I really don't remember either getting on the field during a game at all up to this point.

They both played in 2015 - Gentry had 2 catches for 36 yards, and Holland had 2 catches for 8 yards.

Maybe it's just my impression, but it seems like we see more WR recruits flame out than at other positions. Sure, some recruits are not going to live up to billing, but it just seems like it happens more often with WR's for whatever reason.

The other night, BTN showed the Gopher-Iowa game from 2011. Devin Crawford-Tufts caught two long passes as a FR. At the time, he looked like a really solid WR, but it didn't materialize. If I had more time (and I wasn't doing this at work) I could put together a pretty good list of WR's who didn't live up to their billing.

Any thoughts on why this is so? Or am I off the track? it would take a lot of work, but it would interesting to see a breakdown by position of recruits who panned out versus recruits who didn't pan out for whatever reason.

A big reason is that they leave the program. DCT, Barker, McDonald, and now Gentry are all examples of that. Brandon Green was one of the few highly rated guys that stuck around and never did a whole lot.

They both played in 2015 - Gentry had 2 catches for 36 yards, and Holland had 2 catches for 8 yards.

Wow - combined 4 catches for 44 yards. Seems hard to believe considering what was thought of them when they came in.

<b>The other night, BTN showed the Gopher-Iowa game from 2011. Devin Crawford-Tufts caught two long passes as a FR. </b>At the time, he looked like a really solid WR, but it didn't materialize. If I had more time (and I wasn't doing this at work) I could put together a pretty good list of WR's who didn't live up to their billing.

DCT dropped one of those passes. Bad call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big reason is that they leave the program. DCT, Barker, McDonald, and now Gentry are all examples of that. Brandon Green was one of the few highly rated guys that stuck around and never did a whole lot.

Victor Kiese 2009. Classic example of big hype and zero impact yet stuck around and got his degree.

Yep. Then we get a Decker and Max Williams who blow the doors off. It does seem like a fairly unpredictable position.

Top Bottom