How many regular season games do you expect the Gophers to win this year?

How many regular season games do you expect the Gophers to win this season?

• 10 plus

Votes: 9 7.2%

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • 7-8

Votes: 75 60.0%

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • less than 6

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
5-7 wins due to uncertainty at QB, OL and DL. If everything falls correctly, I could see 9 wins, maybe more. Just too much uncertainty for me to be confident with any more than 7 right now.

The "over/unders" are coming in at 7.5. Right between 7 and 8 wins. 2 out of 3 voters here are saying the same thing.

Seems pretty reasonable doesn't it?

7-8 We'll see how it plays out. I agree that Quarterback will be the key as that is a no brainer comment. However with some luck, enthusiasm etc., we'll have a good year with another win yet.

I went with 6 because the QB situation is very fluid and I'm not sold on the O-line. We'll lose a game in the non-conference and another we "should've" won in the B1G due to the growing pains.

The "over/unders" are coming in at 7.5. Right between 7 and 8 wins. 2 out of 3 voters here are saying the same thing.
Seems pretty reasonable doesn't it?

If there was a "6 - 7" choice I am guessing more than 50% of the voters would have gone that way. I doubt many GopherHolers think the Gophers will win 8 games.

If there was a "6 - 7" choice I am guessing more than 50% of the voters would have gone that way. I doubt many GopherHolers think the Gophers will win 8 games.

:rolleyes:

We will roll into Iowa City at 7-0. Two more wins after that. One being Becky. If either QB is marginally better than Mitch, I can't see why 9 wins isn't reachable.

Seven we are better than all of our non con opponents. Oregon State can't stop the run to save there lives. We are better than Maryland, better than Illinois and Purdue. So from there figure out how to beat one of NW, Iowa and Sparty.

yes, it does.

You know what's not reasonable? The fact that 23% of GHers expect us to win 9+ regular season games, which has happened once since 1905. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_football_seasons
Please don't use this argument.
From 1906 to 1930 they played less than 9 games in a season
From 1932 to 1941 only 8 games in a season.
1942 to 1970: 9 or 10 games
1971 to 2001: 11 games
2002 to Present: 12 games

So for 35 years of your argument it wasn't even possible to win 9 games. For an additional 28 years or so, it would've been an undefeated or 1 loss season. 9 wins today does not mean as much as 9 wins in 1905.

They won 5 games two years ago.

They won 3 games 6 years ago.
They won 9 games last year.
They won 10 games 14 years ago.
None including your post matter this year.

They won 3 games 6 years ago.
They won 9 games last year.
They won 10 games 14 years ago.
None including your post matter this year.

What does matter is that those 4-5 folks must have voted many times in this poll as well as in the helmet poll. Don't they have anything better to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does matter is that those 4-5 folks must have voted many times in this poll as well as in the helmet poll. Don't they have anything better to do?

Yeah I was clearly talking about people who think the Gophers will win 8 games this year.

Yeah I was clearly talking about people who think the Gophers will win 8 games this year.

You're not making much sense with this post, nor were you with the they won 5 games two years ago post.

You're not making much sense with this post, nor were you with the they won 5 games two years ago post.

I was just making the point based on football history they are just as likely to win 9 games as they are 6.

I was just making the point based on football history they are just as likely to win 9 games as they are 6.

As the poll shows, that is what the GH people think as well and a majority feel we will finish with 7 or 8 wins.
My comment earlier to JG about the 6 or less, was because he lumped the 9 win people with the 10 plus win people and called them not reasonable.

Agree with the sentiment, but think they're as likely to win 6 as win 8.5. Looks almost the same, but to me one of the things that we can't control or know at this point is who the bowl opponent might be for an 8 regular season win Gophers team.

Please don't use this argument.
From 1906 to 1930 they played less than 9 games in a season
From 1932 to 1941 only 8 games in a season.
1942 to 1970: 9 or 10 games
1971 to 2001: 11 games
2002 to Present: 12 games

So for 35 years of your argument it wasn't even possible to win 9 games. For an additional 28 years or so, it would've been an undefeated or 1 loss season. 9 wins today does not mean as much as 9 wins in 1905.

Agreed, so let's use winning percentage. 9-3 is 75%.

We have won 75% or more of our regular season games once since 1968. In 1967 we went 8-2. So in the last 50 years, we've had a .750 or better regular season winning percentage 2 times out of 50. Yet 23% of GHers are pretty certain it's going to happen this year.

Didn't vote for 9 wins or 10 plus, but why can't 9 regular season wins happen this year? If things go right and we start the season 7 and 0. Winning 2 of the last 5 isn't out of the realm of possibilities unless you don't think PJF is a good coach. History tells us that it isn't likely to happen, but it's not unreasonable to think that 9 wins can happen this year. Ski-U-Mah

We have won 75% or more of our regular season games once since 1968. In 1967 we went 8-2. So in the last 50 years, we've had a .750 or better regular season winning percentage 2 times out of 50. Yet 23% of GHers are pretty certain it's going to happen this year.

Fine by me. Just hate seeing people use win numbers versus historic performance since things have changed so much.

We have won 8 or more in 3 of the last 4 seasons. That is a better indicator than what happened in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s.

Just curious...is 5 considered a bunch?

Top Bottom