• Morgan

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Estes

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
My gut says Rhoda and my head says Croft. I'm going with Rhoda, although Croft gives you more escapability and the scrambling dimension. Logic says Croft but gut says Rhoda is more of a Fleck guy. Maybe more of a fighter and he may have better decision making, which Fleck has mentioned multiple times, his requirement for a decisive decision maker. I also think we may see multiple QB's get game opportunities.

I am fascinated by this question. Regardless of our petty arguments, I believe Fleck views these first two years as rebuilding years and wants to build this team based on his first two recruiting classes. Croft is definitely the answer in a vacuum as he is clearly more dynamic than Rhoda - but I could see Fleck going with either of the two.

If he wants to maximize the success in 2017, he will go with Croft. But - if he for sure wants to go with Morgan/Armstrong in 2018, he may choose Rhoda just so he doesn't have to wait 3 years to install HIS quarterback. But considering we haven't had a QB make it through an entire season in a decade we will probably see both. Green and Estes are non-factors...Estes is now a CB and Green is looking more and more like Alipate 2.0.

I think Rhoda will start against Buffalo, but another QB will be starting before November rolls around.

I am fascinated by this question. Regardless of our petty arguments, I believe Fleck views these first two years as rebuilding years and wants to build this team based on his first two recruiting classes. Croft is definitely the answer in a vacuum as he is clearly more dynamic than Rhoda - but I could see Fleck going with either of the two.

If he wants to maximize the success in 2017, he will go with Croft. But - if he for sure wants to go with Morgan/Armstrong in 2018, he may choose Rhoda just so he doesn't have to wait 3 years to install HIS quarterback. But considering we haven't had a QB make it through an entire season in a decade we will probably see both. Green and Estes are non-factors...Estes is now a CB and Green is looking more and more like Alipate 2.0.

I'd agree with if Rhoda starts the feeling of the staff may be the QB beyond this season is someone currently on the roster other than Croft or hasn't been recruited yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Rhoda will start against Buffalo, but another QB will be starting before November rolls around.
I see Croft as starting, but we won't go the full season with him because he'll get knocked out of a game or two in the B1G or even before. His thin build won't hold up over 12 games.

Having seen the tiniest bit of the QBs at practice yesterday, I'll say Croft.

Fans will be criticising his throwing motion (his trajectory is fairly low, at least, I noticed it on deep balls yesterday) by the middle of the Oregon State game, but he's probably the most physically talented QB we have on the team right now.

I don't think Fleck's approach will be like this year and next are rebuilding years. Seems Fleck is a guy who believes in the now. Give it all you got every day. Also, I think Fleck could careless if Croft starts this year and doesn't start next year. I think if he believes someone else is better next year he'll have 0 problem starting them. Remember, he eats difficult conversations for breakfast :).

I'm guessing Rhoda will start against Buffalo.

I went with Morgan as the dark horse. Fleck keeps talking about how he wants someone to step up and claim the QB job, but nobody has done that yet.

If there is not a clear favorite between any of the QB options, I will play a hunch that Fleck will go with a QB that he recruited.

I'm probably wrong. It will probably be Croft or Rhoda - but that was too easy of a choice. I decided to play the long shot.

If Croft or Rhoda starts the opener - or if they both play, and neither one lights it up, I could easily see Morgan starting by mid-season.

After watching practice on Saturday it was clear to me that Croft played significantly better. He overthrew a few guys, however he was leading receivers, and putting the ball where it needed to be. His throwing motion is different, however he gives us the best chance to win this year.

I have to agree that if you have Morgan picked as your guy down the road, you start Rhoda. Then start fresh next year with a heated QB battle.

There is enough smoke blowing out of dinky town to cover the Utah Beach assault. Fleck is not a dumb guy. He cannot lose by setting low expectations. He knows none of his QB options has played a full season. He knows none of them have mastered the offense. What do you expect him to say? The QB has great mastery of the offense? Croft is phenomenal? Ergo, expect a great offensive output? No! Fleck won one game his first year at WMU. He literally doesn't know how Croft will perform under game conditions. He wants him to do well. He wants him to seize the job. However, it's quite possible he won't and Fleck will say nothing that could be held against him by those of us in the peanut gallery if Operation Overlord becomes Operation Barbarossa.

IMHO, Rhoda starts until somewhere in the season. It will Croft's to lose.

I think Green, Morgan, and Estes will be mounting campaigns of their own. Stay tuned. We may have a suprise as the season wear on. PJF is not going to be afraid to change QBs is the starter is inconsistent.

Other observers have said one guy stands out...just saying. Of course the best out of a bad bunch could still be...bad. Coach isn't going to box himself in if the offense stinks early.

Promises, promises.

They literally begged Rhoda to come back. I think PJ has to honor that for at least the first game and let him play himself out of it.

They literally begged Rhoda to come back. I think PJ has to honor that for at least the first game and let him play himself out of it.

PJ had like wat? 1 or 2 QBs available when he asked him to come back? I think that was most of there was to that.

I can't imagine he promised him a start, but is pretending to run a competition too.

Zero chance. If Rhoda's the best QB, he'll play. There is no promise to start.

Right now, IMO Croft is way ahead. He throws the best ball, he's the best runner. Unless his decision making is crap and he doesn't gel in this system, Croft if your starter.

Should be Croft, will be Rhoda - only my opinions, of course.

Should be Croft, will be Rhoda - only my opinions, of course.

Because of the enthusiasm quotient? Or could it be the nuclear option: Fleck is so radical about his culture he needs to destroy the program to build it in his image?

I'd like to think he won't go that route but he has repeatedly said he doesn't expect much, lack of depth, injuries, rebuilding, culture, culture, (my) culture. Normally that would be common coach speak. However, when dealing with a radical Fleckite who knows?

Who is the more accurate passer between Rhoda and Croft? I would think that Croft is more mobile and able to escape a sack.

Who is the more accurate passer between Rhoda and Croft? I would think that Croft is more mobile and able to escape a sack.

Rhoda was throwing ducks at the practice I watched. Croft was more accurate. Even if they're close there, Croft has the other stuff too. Never can tell from watching what's between the ears that the coaches get to see, but looked like Croft was way ahead to my eyes.

Rhoda was throwing ducks at the practice I watched. Croft was more accurate. Even if they're close there, Croft has the other stuff too. Never can tell from watching what's between the ears that the coaches get to see, but looked like Croft was way ahead to my eyes.

I didn't get a chance to see either practice. Which one did you attend? Other observations were that Croft was more vocal, animated...outwardly showing leadership compared to Rhoda but that their performances were close. Wondering if that's more a factor of which practice folks attended...

Because of the enthusiasm quotient? Or could it be the nuclear option: Fleck is so radical about his culture he needs to destroy the program to build it in his image?

I'd like to think he won't go that route but he has repeatedly said he doesn't expect much, lack of depth, injuries, rebuilding, culture, culture, (my) culture. Normally that would be common coach speak. However, when dealing with a radical Fleckite who knows?

Again, these are just my thoughts:

1. Reward Rhoda for sticking it out another year
2. Rhoda is less of a risk-taker, less likely to turn the ball over, meshes well with running the ball 65-70% of the time like I think we will
3. Not starting Croft this year makes it easier to start Morgan or Armstrong next year and beyond if that is their plan

I still think that Croft is by far the better option and I hope that he does start, but I can see it playing out this way for these stated reasons.

I agree with you. I'm not sure we have evidence for #2 but the others seem plausible.

I think both will play in the opener. Whichever one gets the most confidence building success in game playing conditions will be the starter moving forward. I think it will take game performance to satisfy Fleck that whoever he picks has "it".

Top Bottom