Estes taking snaps with Green, and Morgan?

Reaction score
Friends attending yesterday's practice said he got snaps in with Green and Morgan. I thought JG said he was being moved to DB??

Listening to the Sports Huddle this morning on 'CCO - there were a couple questions about the QB's. Fleck did not sound very enthusiastic about any of the QB options. Keeps saying he wants someone to take charge of the position - but nobody has done that yet. He also said he does not believe in playing multiple QB's, but he said that might be a possibility this year.

Maybe I'm reading too much into his comments, but I got the impression that the job is wide-open at this point. Fleck also made the point that you can't tell how some people perform in game situations until you actually see them in game situations. I think it's possible that we could see several people get snaps in the non-conference games - depending on the situation - just to see whether any of the candidates separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

Listening to the Sports Huddle this morning on 'CCO - there were a couple questions about the QB's. Fleck did not sound very enthusiastic about any of the QB options. Keeps saying he wants someone to take charge of the position - but nobody has done that yet. He also said he does not believe in playing multiple QB's, but he said that might be a possibility this year.

Maybe I'm reading too much into his comments, but I got the impression that the job is wide-open at this point. Fleck also made the point that you can't tell how some people perform in game situations until you actually see them in game situations. I think it's possible that we could see several people get snaps in the non-conference games - depending on the situation - just to see whether any of the candidates separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

If nobody takes control, I think Rhoda could be the guy to start against Buffalo, simply because he's a senior. It's possible other guys get some snaps, but I still don't view it as very likely.

If nobody takes control, I think Rhoda could be the guy to start against Buffalo, simply because he's a senior. It's possible other guys get some snaps, but I still don't view it as very likely.

I would think if both are equal, Croft would get the job as he'd still have two more years after this.

He ran drills as a QB on Friday. I don't recall if he played in any 11 on 11.

I think we might see a split QB situation for the first game or two, then whoever plays better gets the job.

Haven't been to a practice, but believe PJ is using coach speak when talking about The QB position. One will emerge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw enough of Rhoda against Maryland. Sorry, but he just doesn't have it. If he's the best option, we're screwed.

What happened to all that talent Seth Green was supposed to have? I'd love to see the local boy step up. Rhoda's local too, Ana he's ok but I don't think his ceiling is very high.

According to Gopher Illustrated the only position change has been freshman Nathen Bursch from TE to OL It was also reported that Nat Umior freshman from Michigan was also moving to
the OL from TE. Don't know if that has been done yet. It looks like both with be RS.

I would think if both are equal, Croft would get the job as he'd still have two more years after this.

I'm not so sure.

Looking back four years ago, I doubt the guy who started Day 1 for Western Michigan was significantly ahead of the other QBs. Yet he started the season No. 1 on the depth chart....likely because of his senior status. I could easily envision another scenario like that happening here this year.

I'm not so sure.

Looking back four years ago, I doubt the guy who started Day 1 for Western Michigan was significantly ahead of the other QBs. Yet he started the season No. 1 on the depth chart....likely because of his senior status. I could easily envision another scenario like that happening here this year.

Or it could have been that he threw 261 passes for 159 completions in his junior year and was the top returning quarterback......

According to Gopher Illustrated the only position change has been freshman Nathen Bursch from TE to OL It was also reported that Nat Umior freshman from Michigan was also moving to
the OL from TE. Don't know if that has been done yet. It looks like both with be RS.

I may be wrong but I believe he moved from OL to TE.

He moved from TE to DE if you're talking about Ulmer.

We had three TE recruits.

Umlor is now a DL (probably will be a DT (270 lbs true frosh).
Bursch is now an OL.
Paulsen is still a TE.

What happened to all that talent Seth Green was supposed to have? I'd love to see the local boy step up. Rhoda's local too, Ana he's ok but I don't think his ceiling is very high.

He absolutely has talent. I am not sure he'll ever be a Big 10 quarterback, but he has talent. Seth Green was always going to be somewhat of a project. His throwing motion is funky and he was always thought of as more of a "project". He's only a FR and he was scout team player of the year. Regardless of the starter this year, I think Green pushes for starting position next year.

I know that we've been burned by high-end local recruits who didn't pan out. Seth Green might or might not pan out. . .I don't know. But this is not a Jeff Jones/Andre McDonald sort of thing.

He absolutely has talent. I am not sure he'll ever be a Big 10 quarterback, but he has talent. Seth Green was always going to be somewhat of a project. His throwing motion is funky and he was always thought of as more of a "project". He's only a FR and he was scout team player of the year. Regardless of the starter this year, I think Green pushes for starting position next year.

I know that we've been burned by high-end local recruits who didn't pan out. Seth Green might or might not pan out. . .I don't know. But this is not a Jeff Jones/Andre McDonald sort of thing.

Remember the heralded 2009 Brewster recruiting class, No. 35? We had three four stars - QB Moses Alipate, WR Hayo , and Carpenter, and CB Michael Carter. This is the same class that produced Rashede Hageman.

My point is, I hope that Seth Green has better luck at panning out at QB. If not, PJ Fleck will make a position switch if he thinks it will help his team.

I saw enough of Rhoda against Maryland. Sorry, but he just doesn't have it. If he's the best option, we're screwed.

Really...

You actually expected a different game plan than the one that resulted in the Gophs win a B1G road game by 3 TDs? He did something right...Gophs had an 8+ minute TOP advantage.

Saw Pitino coach in '15-'16 season. Sorry, but he just doesn't have it. If he's the best option, we're screwed...::D

IIRC the Maryland starting QB and their star ball carrier were both injured so we may have dodged a dogfight. I think many had projected that game as a push or even a loss as it was on the road.

Rhoda had the nice screen TD but I don't recall too much else of spectacle other than the Winfield pick six. It was a forgettable game. I seem to recall Maryland tried out their ballyhooed dual threat QB freshman (4 star?) n the second half and he was an impressive carrier but not so much a passer.

I hope we recruit a great QB to come in and push our veteran QBs next year. I miss Mitch Leidner already, at least we knew he was starting.

IIRC the Maryland starting QB and their star ball carrier were both injured so we may have dodged a dogfight. I think many had projected that game as a push or even a loss as it was on the road.

Rhoda had the nice screen TD but I don't recall too much else of spectacle other than the Winfield pick six. It was a forgettable game. I seem to recall Maryland tried out their ballyhooed dual threat QB freshman (4 star?) n the second half and he was an impressive carrier but not so much a passer.

Agree especially with last part- he should have had 3 INTs which obviously could have impacted the outcome.

Really...

You actually expected a different game plan than the one that resulted in the Gophs win a B1G road game by 3 TDs? He did something right...Gophs had an 8+ minute TOP advantage.

He did a great job of handing the ball off to the RBs most of the game. ;)

Haven't been to a practice, but believe PJ is using coach speak when talking about The QB position. One will emerge.

Nope, those are the facts. The guy with the arm is not a leader, or consistent in accuracy, and the leader of the two keeps making bonehead throws. If Armstrong was here now, he'd start.

Nope, those are the facts. The guy with the arm is not a leader, or consistent in accuracy, and the leader of the two keeps making bonehead throws. If Armstrong was here now, he'd start.

How can you say that about Armstrong? Is he a leader on his high school team? He looks good on the highlight clips that have been shown, but highlight clips only show the highlights. Croft and Rhoda had similar clips coming out of HS.
I'm assuming you mean Croft as the guy with the arm. Not sure how observing a practice or two would be enough to see that he is or isn't a leader. PJF didn't think Terrell was a good leader at first and didn't play him, then when he did they took off. Not saying that will be the case with Croft, but it could be the same thing.
Still believe PJF is just using coach talk right now to have them continue to compete and show what they have. Plenty of time yet to name a starter and start prep work for the first game and season.

Top Bottom