Looks like very experienced two deep

Lot of veterans, older, mature guys.

Olson may be the only oline man in two deep without experience, and he took a lot of good snaps last Fall and all the snaps this Spring. Fifth year Wright, fourth year Greene, fourth year Weyler, fourth/fifth year Calhoun, third year guys Connelly, Dovich, Oseland.

Looks like three running backs with experience. Two of them fourth year guys, two of them three year starters

Top two receivers seem to be Still and Tyler, both experienced and by Fleck's own comments super talented. Fifth year Carter in mix and fourth year Holland in mix.

Top two tight ends Woz and Lingen fourth and fifth year guys.

Upfront on dline also very mature and experienced with seniors Richardson, Merrick, Stelter and rs junior Moore.

Seniors Celestin and Poock and junior Cashman anchoring linebacker with rising sophomore stars Martin, Barber, Waters getting great experience last year. Junior Julian Huff may help.

Fifth year guy at punter, fourth year guy at kicker.

Fifth year McGhee and third year Huff and fifth year Ayinde look to be in two deep at safety.

Cornerback has junior Shenault at one spot, maybe soph Winfield at nickel. Probably soph Durr or rs frosh Kiondre at other corner.

Redshirt soph DeLattiboudere and rs junior Gibson at def end.

Rush end may rely on sophs Coughlin and Devers.

QB battle between third and fifth year guys...both who have had a season taking all the number two reps, both who have seen at least some Big Ten game action. Even or better with QB situations at Iowa, Nebraska, MSU, Illinois, Oregon State, Maryland, maybe Michigan.

Outstanding report. Thank you.
Re QB- we will have addition by subtraction, IMHO

I guess I'd rather have vets than not but it's not like these are veterans on a team of world beaters.

We'll never know what might have happened if Claeys and his staff were still in place. For all of the complaints, Claeys and Sawvel had a system, and they seemed to be able to recruit kids who fit that system.

So I don't think you can just automatically assume the team would have taken a step backwards in 2017. I suspect it would have been similar to the last couple of seasons - 7-8 wins and a bowl game. Not earth-shaking - probably not contending for a conference title, but respectable by historic Gopher standards. Don't forget, if you keep the same coaching staff, you are not dealing with the transition to a new system. It would have been interesting to see how the QB situation worked itself out under Claeys. But, unless you are the Flash, and can break the time barrier and set up an alternate timeline, we'll never know.

maybe Fleck is the one who will take the program to a higher level. That remains to be seen. stay tuned.

Top Bottom