Shooter: Ex-Gopher QB Jacques Perra expected to start for St. Thomas

Wasn't he ahead of Rhoda when he transfered?

Will St Thomas have a better starting QB than the Gophers this year?

The important question is who are Perra's backups?

Will St Thomas have a better starting QB than the Gophers this year?

No, because they are not DI. Perra is not a DI quarterback.

In fact, he is not a quarterback at all. Dave Lee will list him at "corderback" all year on the Good Neighbor.

by all rights, St. Thomas should move up to D2. with their money and facilities, it's really a stacked deck in the MIAC.

Unfortunately, it appears they would rather be a big fish in a little pond, as opposed to taking the challenge to play at a higher level.

by all rights, St. Thomas should move up to D2. with their money and facilities, it's really a stacked deck in the MIAC.

Unfortunately, it appears they would rather be a big fish in a little pond, as opposed to taking the challenge to play at a higher level.
Just to go d2 in football would cost them 36 scholarships times around 45k a year.

Let's see, pay 1.6 million per year to be just another d2 program and abandon all rivalries or be dominant in every sport at the d3 level.

They'd be absolutely foolish to go d2. Going d2 would mean dropping football and they aren't doing that.

Just to go d2 in football would cost them 36 scholarships times around 45k a year.

Let's see, pay 1.6 million per year to be just another d2 program and abandon all rivalries or be dominant in every sport at the d3 level.

They'd be absolutely foolish to go d2. Going d2 would mean dropping football and they aren't doing that.

UST should go D1 in everything besides football.

I think within 10 years, they could make the NCAA tourneys in pretty much every sport.

Ever seen Mount Union play? St Thomas is still playing second or third fiddle.

I think within 10 years, they could make the NCAA tourneys in pretty much every sport.
Except you can't go d1 in everything except football.
And to go d1 in basketball guys and girls alone would cost the university about 1.1-1.2 million per year just in tuition room and board.

Anyone suggesting st Thomas should go D1 clearly has never considered the finances of it

If they dropped football but kept their other sports....going D1 would cost them 190 scholarships..8.5 million

Per year

If they kept football add 63 more (for FCS) and raise the total cost to 11.4 million per year.

If they start beating SJU and on a regular basis they could think about it...

Just saying that I went to an MIAC school (Augsburg) back in the 70's when there was a lot more parity in the conference. St. John's was usually good, and after that, you had a lot of relatively close match-ups. St. Thomas was OK, but they did not dominate in any sport.

However, in the last 40 years, St. Thomas has just outstripped everyone in Fund-raising and facilities. They literally have better facilities than a lot of D2 programs, and they have money up the wazoo. (I could make some comment about Catholics and money, but better not stir up that hornet's nest). I'm not saying they would win the NSIC, but they would be very competitive. And they have their games on a 50,000 watt radio station with Dave Lee doing the games. (wait, I'm not sure that's an advantage.......)

However, it looks like they would rather beat up Augsburg and Carleton instead of moving up to a higher level of competition. That's their choice. And I choose to root against them because of it.

Laughable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saying that I went to an MIAC school (Augsburg) back in the 70's when there was a lot more parity in the conference. St. John's was usually good, and after that, you had a lot of relatively close match-ups. St. Thomas was OK, but they did not dominate in any sport.

However, in the last 40 years, St. Thomas has just outstripped everyone in Fund-raising and facilities. They literally have better facilities than a lot of D2 programs, and they have money up the wazoo. (I could make some comment about Catholics and money, but better not stir up that hornet's nest). I'm not saying they would win the NSIC, but they would be very competitive. And they have their games on a 50,000 watt radio station with Dave Lee doing the games. (wait, I'm not sure that's an advantage.......)

However, it looks like they would rather beat up Augsburg and Carleton instead of moving up to a higher level of competition. That's their choice. And I choose to root against them because of it.

I probably knew you as a fellow Auggie in the 1970s and I agree with you 100%. The MIAC was very balanced back then in terms of enrollment and resources. St. Thomas took it upon themselves to lap the field a couple of decades ago and they pretty much have in a lot of ways. Their undergrad enrollment is larger than the total enrollment at all the other MIAC schools.

I probably knew you as a fellow Auggie in the 1970s and I agree with you 100%. The MIAC was very balanced back then in terms of enrollment and resources. St. Thomas took it upon themselves to lap the field a couple of decades ago and they pretty much have in a lot of ways. Their undergrad enrollment is larger than the total enrollment at all the other MIAC schools.

That makes three Auggies including me, I was there in the early to mid 80's. I do follow the MIAC as close as the Big Ten these days and can tell you the gap between St Thomas and the other schools has really increased in the last 5 years. Not long ago, in 2013 we (Augsburg) had them on the ropes with a lead in the 3rd quarter and only some great play calling on Caruso's part brought the Tommies back to win by a late field goal to win 17-14. Now they dominate the MIAC with high scoring games each week and former D1 kids on both sides of the ball. However.......they have won exactly 0 National Titles in football as Mt Union continues to dominate them. I don't see that changing.

That isn't allowed. It's all or nothing. They would either have to go FCS/FBS, play in the crappy non-scholarship Pioneer League (with schools like Butler), or drop football altogether.

That isn't allowed. It's all or nothing. They would either have to go FCS/FBS, play in the crappy non-scholarship Pioneer League (with schools like Butler), or drop football altogether.

Does that apply to football only? There are examples of schools being D2 in some sports and D1 in others (hockey for example)

Does that apply to football only? There are examples of schools being D2 in some sports and D1 in others (hockey for example)

Yes - the all or nothing means revenue sports (football and basketball) - in other words, you can't be DI in basketball and then DII or DIII in football. They will grant exemptions for non-revenue sports like hockey. Johns Hopkins is another example - they're DI (Big Ten) in lacrosse, but DIII in everything else.

Saint Johns was kicking everyone in the MIAC around for a very long time, with massive rosters, and plenty of recruits on board who had upper D2 NCC (NDSU, No. Dakota, SDSU) talent, but chose to play for Gagliardi and accept the financial aid that made the choice close to on par with the D2 scholarship.

No one seems to have had an issue with any of that (except for maybe Carleton who they beat 70-7? in a NCAA DIII playoff game one year), but suddenly the whining commenced when St. Thomas was finally able to sustain the type of success for a few years that they flirted with for a brief time in the early 80s under Dr. Mark Dienhardt.

I have no doubt that those old St. Johns teams could have competed with the heavyweights of the old North Central Conference. What St. Thomas is doing today Is not much different that what Saint Johns is still tying to do, and certainly some of the other big fish in DIII football also do. They put a decent amount of resources into football, have a very competent, large staff, offer good levels of financial aid, and happen to be in a great recruiting area for top players who are not quite low D1 talents. If I was 18 right now, I'd probably go to Gustavus or Augsburg and get the playing time, and also have some fun, but the appeal of St. Thomas is very strong.

Yes - the all or nothing means revenue sports (football and basketball) - in other words, you can't be DI in basketball and then DII or DIII in football. They will grant exemptions for non-revenue sports like hockey. Johns Hopkins is another example - they're DI (Big Ten) in lacrosse, but DIII in everything else.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Top Bottom