Carter Coughlin bulking up for DE; hopes to get to 235#, last year was 214#

The only head scratcher to me in this is why would you not take Martin or Barber (who were already 230+) last year and fit them to that role. Martin did some edge rushing last year and Barber at 6'1 233 is closest in frame to a DE.

I could see Martin in that role. Barber to me doesn't have the length that Coughlin or Martin have so it would be a more difficult position for him to play. Coughlin also possesses speed and quickness that Barber doesn't have that you need when playing on the outside.

Carter playing rush end is about getting the best 11 on the field. We have tons of great LBs and few DEs. He might be better suited to a 4-3 OLB, but maybe he's not on the field, or it's taking a LB off the field who is better than the DE who replaces him.

I understand why we're doing it. My point is that it sucks that we have to.

I follow you. It would also suck to not get PT for Cashman, Barber, Celestin, Huff, and Martin.

It does suck in a way, but it is making the best of the situation that they have been handed.

I've always felt that CC's ideal position is a 3-4 OLB/Rush end and by far his greatest strength is rushing the passer much more so than stopping the run or playing in coverage. This position should maximize his opportunities he'll get as a pass rusher and hide his weaknesses (relative to his strengths). He was exclusively a rush end his junior year in HS when he started getting offers from OSU and Oregon.

I've always felt that CC's ideal position is a 3-4 OLB/Rush end and by far his greatest strength is rushing the passer much more so than stopping the run or playing in coverage. This position should maximize his opportunities he'll get as a pass rusher and hide his weaknesses (relative to his strengths). He was exclusively a rush end his junior year in HS when he started getting offers from OSU and Oregon.

Agree this position is playing to his strengths

I'm also a bit torn on this one.

It is interesting how this plays out as TC was big on noting that there are very few good DL out of high school and they are mostly all gobbled up by top tier schools. On the other hand he noted LBs are far far easier to come by.... I wonder if the conversion is or becomes a more common thing.

I'm also a bit torn on this one.

It is interesting how this plays out as TC was big on noting that there are very few good DL out of high school and they are mostly all gobbled up by top tier schools. On the other hand he noted LBs are far far easier to come by.... I wonder if the conversion is or becomes a more common thing.

To me this whole thread is nonsense. I thought if we kept TC we were going to play 3-4. We are essentially in a 3-4 with our current defense with the standing DE position. Wisconsin runs the same D so I don't get the issue

To me this whole thread is nonsense. I thought if we kept TC we were going to play 3-4. We are essentially in a 3-4 with our current defense with the standing DE position. Wisconsin runs the same D so I don't get the issue

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at but I think the idea that "Yankees in here, we will lose to the Yankees out there." might apply to any situation where we should just be like another team and hope it works out.

IMO, 99% of the people posting here agree. I believe everyone feels CC is a great athlete and will help us playing rush end. I believe everyone understands he needs to play there due to our roster make up. I think everyone agrees that will get the most talent on the field. I don't think anyone is saying he will fail or the coaches shouldn't be doing this. Some have expressed a wish that he could play a more traditional LB position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once again I'm part of the 99% and not 1%.

If Elmore and Kafo were still here, would they be at that position?

I am on the fence on this decision, and if it turns out Coughlin is the second coming of James Laurinaitis, then this is not so good.

Having said that we have a great deal of depth, experience and some high level talent (potential at least) at the position. I especially like Cashman and Martin, but Barber and Waters are somewhat interesting as well as physical, downhill thumpers.

As a big supporter of Claeys and Jay S, I was very impressed with what they did last year with the LB talent, especially in the bowl game and at other times. As someone else pointed out, the previous staff probably would be doing something very similar to the current staff right now , even though it looks like they are making more a commitment to the DE position with Carter, at least for right now.

I hope to see Cashman, Huff, and others used in unpredictable ways this year. Maybe the two "rush" D ends that are were little light last year (Devers, and #46) will really step up as well.

The only areas that could really derail the season at first glance is the QB, OL depth, and the CB position, and Winfield can be one of the two main CBs if all else fails. The OC can also dumb down the offense, and rely on safe throws and deep play action throws that are really just punts if intercepted and feed Brooks and Smith heavily if the QB is not ready. The OL might stay healthy as well and if these things happen 9 or 10 wins could happen.

Top Bottom