Practice Observations

I can't say that I disagree with you.

If JG is correct (and I trust his judgement), if there isn't much a delta between Armstron and Rhoda at this point. . .might as well go with the youth.

There isn't a decision to be made between Rhoda and Armstrong. They will never be on the team at the same time.

The chance that Armstrong even plays next year is slim. It's enough that he would be a freshman, but a left handed QB's learning curve in a right handed offense is steep. Morgan might be the guy, as neither Croft nor Green shows the chops in flinging the ball. I hope they show us something, but it still hasn't happened.

The chance that Armstrong even plays next year is slim. It's enough that he would be a freshman, but a left handed QB's learning curve in a right handed offense is steep. Morgan might be the guy, as neither Croft nor Green shows the chops in flinging the ball. I hope they show us something, but it still hasn't happened.

Any barely competent OC can adjust an offense to the handedness of his QB. This will have no effect on Armstrong's chance of winning the job. His physical skills and intellect will be the determining factors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Croft will be QB this year and next. Don't read much into the fact he took fewer snaps yesterday. Things were different with the extra eyes at practice.

Even if someone hasn't created separation yet, I still expect improved QB play this year. Playcalling and schematics alone will increase the offense's effectiveness. How much is what the QBs will determine on the field.

What our QB last year had what Croft has not yet exhibited from all reports (Croft being a quiet kid) was leadership. The guy played hurt, played often with a linebacker's mentality and had the respect of his team. Play calling, schematics and probably even greater potential may all be there, but Coach Fleck wants his players to take over ultimately and that is especially true of his QB.

Unfortunately you could say the same thing about the 2015 Northwestern game for Croft.

Frankly I don't think either is going to be great but if they can limit mistakes they can be good.
Except that Croft was a true freshman and Rhoda was a fourth-year junior.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just got back from practice (had to cut it short due to 2 year old running out of patience :) ). Lots of people out there today.

I focused on the QBs for 15-20 minutes. My takeaways are based solely on that so aren't worth much. But IMO it's definitely a two man race. Definite drop off after Rhoda and Croft.

A fan up on the roof of a building overlooking the field kept yelling "I'm smelling roses" and chanting "Pasadena." PJ said it was like the Wrigley Field building beyond left field.

This is great! Kudos to whoever this was! Stuff like this is awesome! It shows the enthusiasm for the program. If this is a Gopherholer, much respect! Jump on that bandwagon Minnesota!

There isn't a decision to be made between Rhoda and Armstrong. They will never be on the team at the same time.

Yeah, I messed up. He said Armstrong and I was thinking Morgan.

What our QB last year had what Croft has not yet exhibited from all reports (Croft being a quiet kid) was leadership. The guy played hurt, played often with a linebacker's mentality and had the respect of his team. Play calling, schematics and probably even greater potential may all be there, but Coach Fleck wants his players to take over ultimately and that is especially true of his QB.

So if by Buffalo week none of the QBs on the roster are as good of leaders as Leidner was, are they going to just not pick any of the four QBs? I'd say that's not going to happen. One of the four QBs will be in the first offensive huddle. At that point, what Leidner was as a leader is meaningless. It will be about playcalling and schematics at that point.

So if by Buffalo week none of the QBs on the roster are as good of leaders as Leidner was, are they going to just not pick any of the four QBs? I'd say that's not going to happen. One of the four QBs will be in the first offensive huddle. At that point, what Leidner was as a leader is meaningless. It will be about playcalling and schematics at that point.

Fleck will pick one. Why can't Smith be the leader...doesn't always have to be the QB. Always liked Croft...nice thrown ball, but my guess is it is Rhoda. Some folks have stated Croft has the stronger arm...I don't see a difference when I watch them. Rhoda was HS pitcher with 90 mph fast ball.

What our QB last year had what Croft has not yet exhibited from all reports (Croft being a quiet kid) was leadership.

Just got back from practice and I spent a good amount of time watching the QBs. In my totally worthless opinion, Croft was showing that he can be a leader. After plays, he was high-fiving players after good plays...WRs, Linemen, RBs, all of them. Seemed very engaged at all times.

For today's practice, I would set up the rotation as follows - Croft, Green, Rhoda based on only today's observation, and for a variety of reasons. From all the rotations I watched, it seemed (today) that Croft was the most consistent in putting the ball in the right spot, at the right time on all depths of routes. Made some goods calls on read options. Has a very quick burst. Green has a funky motion, but really put the ball in the right spot consistently. Rhoda warmed up over time, but displayed an arm that was a notch or two below the other two.

A couple other observations were that there was 1 lineman (I won't say O or D) that was very obviously the last player to arrive at each location rotation. I did see him getting some work in, so I don't think it was an injury. There was another lineman (not saying which line, or name the player) that came out of the building on crutches in a boot and I asked him if that happened today, and he said yes. Sucks.

Overall, I don't think I've seen that many people at a practice at that facility ever. It was a great show.

Fleck's energy is as advertised. When Devers (often) and Martin (often) burst through the line on some 11 on 11, Fleck was there jumping into their arms or doing the full-body bump, and Fleck can still get up. He's all over the place.

It was interesting that during the one official water break, that the units all stick together for water, Popsicles, etc. and the position coaches are right there talking technique, etc. Always teaching.

And who was the Gopherholer dad that was taking over the little kids passing station? There was a blow up station for kids to throw some balls against a blown up picture of Decker and this dad and his kid took about 30 throws each while other little kids were just sitting their watching, probably too intimidated to ask for a chance. This guy was sprinting back for his drop back, and trying to unleash the hardest throw he possibly had in him. He hit the edge of the blow up a couple of times and didn't have a strong enough arm to get it all the way to the target. No scouts were there checking you out...trust me. Maybe take your kid outside and play catch once in a while. Your belly indicated you could use the exercise.

Just got back from practice and I spent a good amount of time watching the QBs. In my totally worthless opinion, Croft was showing that he can be a leader. After plays, he was high-fiving players after good plays...WRs, Linemen, RBs, all of them. Seemed very engaged at all times.

For today's practice, I would set up the rotation as follows - Croft, Green, Rhoda based on only today's observation, and for a variety of reasons. From all the rotations I watched, it seemed (today) that Croft was the most consistent in putting the ball in the right spot, at the right time on all depths of routes. Made some goods calls on read options. Has a very quick burst. Green has a funky motion, but really put the ball in the right spot consistently. Rhoda warmed up over time, but displayed an arm that was a notch or two below the other two.

A couple other observations were that there was 1 lineman (I won't say O or D) that was very obviously the last player to arrive at each location rotation. I did see him getting some work in, so I don't think it was an injury. There was another lineman (not saying which line, or name the player) that came out of the building on crutches in a boot and I asked him if that happened today, and he said yes. Sucks.

Overall, I don't think I've seen that many people at a practice at that facility ever. It was a great show.

Fleck's energy is as advertised. When Devers (often) and Martin (often) burst through the line on some 11 on 11, Fleck was there jumping into their arms or doing the full-body bump, and Fleck can still get up. He's all over the place.

It was interesting that during the one official water break, that the units all stick together for water, Popsicles, etc. and the position coaches are right there talking technique, etc. Always teaching.

Great Info. Thanks.

Did anyone see what 46 did (or perhaps didn't do) to get thrown out of practice?

My observation from today is that Chris Bell is good. Really good. Like one of the top 3 receivers on the team good right now.

My observation from today is that Chris Bell is good. Really good. Like one of the top 3 receivers on the team good right now.

I thought he looked really good yesterday as well.

Nonsense. Nothing discussed here is even close to what the pay sites disclose. Rest assured GH is not giving away any secrets to opposing teams.

Nonsense. Nothing discussed here is even close to what the pay sites disclose. Rest assured GH is not giving away any secrets to opposing teams.

Of all the people to not get sarcasm...

X1000. Douglas also looks really good. 45, now 21 Kamal Martin looks incredible. As does 11, obviously.

Not for sure if true

Did anyone see what 46 did (or perhaps didn't do) to get thrown out of practice?

but I heard he got dinged a little...they asked him to spell his name...couldn't do it... so they put him in a dark room to watch pirate movies. lol people stop making me look up the whole roster ha

Croft came away from Saturday's practice the clear no. 1, IMO. He seems to be growing by the minute and is making some very difficult throws. Tyler is going to be a steady and at times spectacular receiver. Winfield is going to be a real standout. Anybody else see Quinn Carroll there today?

Croft came away from Saturday's practice the clear no. 1, IMO. He seems to be growing by the minute and is making some very difficult throws. Tyler is going to be a steady and at times spectacular receiver. Winfield is going to be a real standout. Anybody else see Quinn Carroll there today?

He was there along with Benhart and Boe.

Heading to my first practice today. Do you enter into the main doors at the Gibson-Nagurski complex (by the Hall of Fame) or is there like a gate straight into the outdoor field? Also, having never been there, I'm assuming there are some type of seats available or is it standing only? My 9-month pregnant wife is being a trooper and coming with, and I don't think she'll like me very much if it is standing only and she wasn't told about this. Thanks.

Heading to my first practice today. Do you enter into the main doors at the Gibson-Nagurski complex (by the Hall of Fame) or is there like a gate straight into the outdoor field? Also, having never been there, I'm assuming there are some type of seats available or is it standing only? My 9-month pregnant wife is being a trooper and coming with, and I don't think she'll like me very much if it is standing only and she wasn't told about this. Thanks.

I haven't been there this year, but you used to enter through the complex (not straight to the field) and it was all standing only (or sit on the ground).

Top Bottom