Practice Observations

Really wish I was still in the Twin Cities. It would be a fun time to be around the Gopher program

He was reasonably relaxed the day I was there. The only thing I saw that was kind of d*ckish was making a snotty comment to one of the lineman when he took his gloves off in order to take his helmet off. He got a condescending sounding "you mean you can't take your helmet off without taking your gloves off" comment. He was taking the helmet off to have a popsicle so it hardly seemed important. Not a big deal in the grand scheme but not really necessary either, IMHO.

Maybe he was looking out for him, because he didn't want him to get a splinter in his finger from the popsicle stick.

Keep those gloves on! We don't want another injured lineman!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was reasonably relaxed the day I was there. The only thing I saw that was kind of d*ckish was making a snotty comment to one of the lineman when he took his gloves off in order to take his helmet off. He got a condescending sounding "you mean you can't take your helmet off without taking your gloves off" comment. He was taking the helmet off to have a popsicle so it hardly seemed important. Not a big deal in the grand scheme but not really necessary either, IMHO.

You could be reading too much into the comment. You don't know their relationship, he could have just been razing the guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could be reading too much into the comment. You don't know their relationship, he could have just been razing the guy.

Quite possible, but given the tone and the facial expression it sure didn't seem that way.

Anyone going today? Would like to hear updates if you do. Since they are having a closed scrimmage tomorrow, I would imagine today's practice will be a little less intense than the one that was open on Tuesday. The pace of it probably won't change.

I went yesterday. I saw Daniel's report and don't feel the need to add much, but I thought it was abundantly clear that Croft is the #1 QB in the staff's mind as he got 80% of the snaps with the 1's. Unless they're rotating that role each day (very possible as not every practice is open), he's already won the job.

It's also abundantly clear our QB is going to struggle early in the season. Prepare yourself, people. Both guys have severe limitations and are obviously untested. Arm strength is mediocre, decisions come slow, neither really seems like a take charge guy. Croft's athletic ability is probably the difference at this point.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I went yesterday. I saw Daniel's report and don't feel the need to add much, but I thought it was abundantly clear that Croft is the #1 QB in the staff's mind as he got 80% of the snaps with the 1's. Unless they're rotating that role each day (very possible as not every practice is open), he's already won the job.

It's also abundantly clear our QB is going to struggle early in the season. Prepare yourself, people. Both guys have severe limitations and are obviously untested. Arm strength is mediocre, decisions come slow, neither really seems like a take charge guy. Croft's athletic ability is probably the difference at this point.

Unless they've been in a coma the last few years, no Gopher fan has to prepare themselves for that.

It's been a given.

I agree with your observations of the QB's from yesterdays practice... The top 4 all would show some high end flash, but consistency is at issue.

I watched casually, but thought that the "high tempo" times offensive work was quite well done in prep for no huddle...

The attention to detail after mistakes were made was very thorough... footwork of the receivers at the sidelines, when approaching blocks, spreading your fingers when making the catch, corralling fumbles and so on. Very detailed observations following the plays. This coaching staff is really focused in doing their best to prep this team.

Can you clarify something. I believe PWOs are guaranteed a spot on the 105 roster and fall camp, correct? Is there a max number of PWOs and how many do we have? A bit curious if there are 'regular' walkons in camp and not him.

Well it's odd a PWO would be on the roster ahead of him since he was a full scholarship guy. Perhaps he is injured?

Thats kind of crappy. Sometimes I like to take my shoes or gloves off just because it feels better. It is a break after all.
If this is the biggest issue we have we are in good shape.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I agree with your observations of the QB's from yesterdays practice... The top 4 all would show some high end flash, but consistency is at issue.

I watched casually, but thought that the "high tempo" times offensive work was quite well done in prep for no huddle...

The attention to detail after mistakes were made was very thorough... footwork of the receivers at the sidelines, when approaching blocks, spreading your fingers when making the catch, corralling fumbles and so on. Very detailed observations following the plays. This coaching staff is really focused in doing their best to prep this team.

I was at the Tuesday practice, and yes they do run a no huddle offense, but it was not high tempo.
To me high tempo is going no huddle and then getting up to the line and snapping the ball as soon as they can to try and catch the defense out of position. What they were doing on Tuesday was going no huddle, but would take time to look back to the sideline and possibly change the play. They were even using a play clock and quite a bit of the time they weren't snapping the ball until it was under 5 seconds. Now that could be because they were working on certain situations, so we will see if they are quicker between plays once the games start.

Is this right that Croft and Rhoda have mediocre arm strength? I was under the impression that they had pretty strong arms.

Consistent feedback to make one think Demry in the lead and Still is still Still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this right that Croft and Rhoda have mediocre arm strength? I was under the impression that they had pretty strong arms.
Their arm strength is fine.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I know its Twitter, but Doogie needs to work on grammar in his tweets.

My bigger issue was the second tweet and how him was used. Was he raised in a jungle by apes? Enough of the nitpicking. Let's hope the o-line improves real soon.

Leidner leaving was best thing that could happen. He was pathetic

Pathetic is over-stating the case. There was Good Mitch and Bad Mitch. Good Mitch won games - or at least helped win games for the Gophers. Bad Mitch - well, we all know about that.

That was the frustrating thing. Leidner could make a beautiful throw on a deep ball, then turn around and miss a medium-range pass badly.

I guess the moral is - or should be - don't ask players to do things they can't do. If a QB throws 5 or 6 routes really well, stick to those 5 or 6 routes. Put players in a position where they have the highest possibility of success, and/or the lowest possibility of failure.

Top Bottom