New Helmet Logo Poll

What do you think about the new Row the Boat logo on Helmets?

• LOVE it! PJF is spot on and I'm Rowing the Boat.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • O.K. Every coach puts their stamp on the team. I can live with it.

Votes: 56 35.9%
  • NEUTRAL - If the student athletes like it, I'll tolerate it.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • DISLIKE it - Ski-U-Mah is our logo.

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • HATE it! What kind of Self-Promoting character is PJF? It's Brewsteresque

Votes: 22 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agreed.
Kill had the word "Sisu" engraved on a sledgehammer that the kids touched before every game. Sisu roughly means "to have grit" and it was a slogan for the team in one of the past years.
Row the boat is similar to Sisu in its meaning. We didn't see Sisu on the helmet, for which I am glad. No reason to have "row the boat" on the helmet either

Didn't a player get hurt with that sledgehammer?

How is it Brewsteresque? I don't remember Brewster being all that self promoting. Not every negative needs to be associated with Brewster. As for not respecting tradition? Well maybe he can make some new ones. You don't have to be so scared of change.

How is it Brewsteresque? I don't remember Brewster being all that self promoting. Not every negative needs to be associated with Brewster. As for not respecting tradition? Well maybe he can make some new ones. You don't have to be so scared of change.

Bravo. All traditions need to have a beginning.

I think it shows a lot of laziness for any poster here to compare him to Brewster.
Step up your game with actual concrete comparisons if you want to do that based on experience and other true tests.

People, don't just show up and post out of laziness with analogies that don't match.

I think it shows a lot of laziness for any poster here to compare him to Brewster.
Step up your game with actual concrete comparisons if you want to do that based on experience and other true tests.

People, don't just show up and post out of laziness with analogies that don't match.

This is actually a good post - kudos. People are lazy and ascribe anything and everything negative to Brewster. Hell, someone used a tribute thread about Ara Parseghian to take a gratuitous and factually incorrect shot at Brewster.

This is actually a good post - kudos. People are lazy and ascribe anything and everything negative to Brewster. Hell, someone used a tribute thread about Ara Parseghian to take a gratuitous and factually incorrect shot at Brewster.

For as ridiculous as Brewster was - and he was -- my take on him was that he was all about the school, and the kids. He did a lot of things poorly, but he never attempted to make the program solely about himself.

The U doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Wonder why? Doesn't the U respect tradition?

Or maybe the U thinks it's a platform to promote the football program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A platform to promote the football program is fine. Doesn't belong on the uniforms.

As for why the Athletic Department allows it? Look no further than our AD. He has demonstrated, repeatedly, that he lacks one iota of leadership. A leader would have sat down and explained to Fleck that we'll use it in marketing, we'll collect oars at the spring game, maybe even hand them from the concourse ceilings (although a better use would be to donate them to the various camps around the state to get a little bit of U of MN pride into the hands of young Minnesotans) we'll put it on t-shirts, it's a great new tradition to rally the football team around, but this is the University of Minnesota. Row the Boat and oars and any other thing that is about you PJ, stays with the team and does not reside on the uniforms or the official logos of the University of Minnesota. Win 6 national championships and stay at the school for 30 years? You've become part of the lore of the program, the school, and the state. Then, and only then will we talk about putting oars on uniforms."

But Mark Coyle, instead, hid in his office, didn't say anything, didn't do anything, let Fleck walk all over the school and will use it as a flimsy excuse to nail Fleck to the wall when he finds it expedient because some "Alumni Donor(s)" complained about it. You need a leader to keep a coach like Fleck pointed in the right direction. With the Kaler and Coyle KCLOWN show, Fleck has no Daedulus to his Icarus.

A platform to promote the football program is fine. Doesn't belong on the uniforms.

As for why the Athletic Department allows it? Look no further than our AD. He has demonstrated, repeatedly, that he lacks one iota of leadership. A leader would have sat down and explained to Fleck that we'll use it in marketing, we'll collect oars at the spring game, maybe even hand them from the concourse ceilings (although a better use would be to donate them to the various camps around the state to get a little bit of U of MN pride into the hands of young Minnesotans) we'll put it on t-shirts, it's a great new tradition to rally the football team around, but this is the University of Minnesota. Row the Boat and oars and any other thing that is about you PJ, stays with the team and does not reside on the uniforms or the official logos of the University of Minnesota. Win 6 national championships and stay at the school for 30 years? You've become part of the lore of the program, the school, and the state. Then, and only then will we talk about putting oars on uniforms."

But Mark Coyle, instead, hid in his office, didn't say anything, didn't do anything, let Fleck walk all over the school and will use it as a flimsy excuse to nail Fleck to the wall when he finds it expedient because some "Alumni Donor(s)" complained about it. You need a leader to keep a coach like Fleck pointed in the right direction. With the Kaler and Coyle KCLOWN show, Fleck has no Daedulus to his Icarus.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

:clap:

I give you credit for the creativity.

Kaler and Coyle allowing RTB to walk all over the school. Not any hyperbole in that.

More people at the administrative level and dept level struggle with it than you realize. They are trying to balance PJ's wish to make it RTB University with having it be a rallying cry for the football program.

You're also funny speaking for the U.

I give you credit for the creativity.

Kaler and Coyle allowing RTB to walk all over the school. Not any hyperbole in that.

Name one power 5 university other than the U of MN who:

• Hired a new coach
  • Bought the rights of the new coaches mantra from his previous school
  • And put it on their uniforms in his first year at the school

There is no leadership at the top at the U. Hasn't been for decades. It has been the biggest single issue facing the Gopher athletics program for over 50 years. A shiny new coach with a recycled catch phrase won't fix that, but it will distract the masses for a little while.

There is no leadership at the top at the U. Hasn't been for decades. It has been the biggest single issue facing the Gopher athletics program for over 50 years. A shiny new coach with a recycled catch phrase won't fix that, but it will distract the masses for a little while.

I would argue that paying a football coach a highly competitive salary in the B1G Conference and the investment in the new facilities show there is leadership at the top in the athletics program.

I would argue that paying a football coach a highly competitive salary in the B1G Conference and the investment in the new facilities show there is leadership at the top in the athletics program.

I would argue that was two KCLOWNS buying their way out of a scandal and distracting the masses for what they didn't do - not leadership, but that we can chalk up to a difference of opinion.

And let me be clear on something else -- Leadership is not:

Ponying up to pay the average Big Ten salary
Kaler forcing Jerry Kill to carry the load on moving the facility from idea to reality at the cost of his health.
Coyle stepping in and finishing what was already well in works - he deserves credit for doing what he's done, but it wasn't leadership, it was clean up work.

My suggestion? Set a higher bar for what leadership looks like. You might find yourself disappointed right now, but happier in the long run IF the U ever figures it out and hires one.

I would argue that was two KCLOWNS buying their way out of a scandal and distracting the masses for what they didn't do - not leadership, but that we can chalk up to a difference of opinion.

And let me be clear on something else -- Leadership is not:

Ponying up to pay the average Big Ten salary
Kaler forcing Jerry Kill to carry the load on moving the facility from idea to reality at the cost of his health.
Coyle stepping in and finishing what was already well in works - he deserves credit for doing what he's done, but it wasn't leadership, it was clean up work.

My suggestion? Set a higher bar for what leadership looks like. You might find yourself disappointed right now, but happier in the long run IF the U ever figures it out and hires one.

First time I have heard anyone blame the President of the University for Jerry Kill's health issues.

My guess is the new Mrs Fleck has the Row the Boat mantra inked somewhere on her bod. I'd like to see it! :rolleyes:

Go the a practice and then you will love it because it is everywhere and this team is going places[/QUOTE

We could win every game for the next 20 years ans I will still feel it is ridiculous to have you mantra on a helmet. By the way, the boat has not even left the dock so how do you know we are going places?

Since 36% of GopherHolers either dislike or hate this ridiculous idea it is time to call a halt to it. The U can't afford to piss off any more of their fan base. Tradition is something worth preserving in college sports and uniforms. Small tweaks around the edges are fine but Fleck has gone a bridge too far this time. Our trophy rivals would never even consider doing something like this.

Since 36% of GopherHolers either dislike or hate this ridiculous idea it is time to call a halt to it. The U can't afford to piss off any more of their fan base. Tradition is something worth preserving in college sports and uniforms. Small tweaks around the edges are fine but Fleck has gone a bridge too far this time. Our trophy rivals would never even consider doing something like this.

Well, PJ backed off the sideline change due to fan feedback so why not this?

Dislike. Just sillyness that isn't traditional like ski u mah that has a background. What's next?. A patch of grass from the rose bowl?

Dislike. Actually very disappointed to see them do this; I liked the yellow lids as is. Call me a traditionalist... But keep the unis clean, save the gimmicks for helmet stickers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom