Gopher Soccer Ranked #19 in Preseason Poll

MRJ

Reaction score
The women's soccer team doesn't get much attention on these boards, so I figured I'd add a little to the discussion.

Coach Golan and the ladies were ranked #19 in the preseason United Coaches Poll yesterday. They're the top-rated Big 10 team and are joined in the poll by Rutgers at #21, Nebraska at #22 and Northwestern at #23. Interesting that traditional power Penn State isn't ranked.

The ladies went 16-3-4 last year (7-1-3 in the Big 10), winning both the regular season and conference tournament titles.

They need to replace several key players, including Simone Kolander, Josee Stiever, Tarah Hobbs and Rashida Beal. Nevertheless, there's a very good foundation returning and they should be a factor in the conference race again.

Link to the Poll: http://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/Rankings/College_Rankings/NCAA_DI_WOMEN/web/Rankings/NCAA/DI_WOMEN.aspx?hkey=4ab40ccb-7881-4ed2-a75e-8e55e047c62e

I am surprised that they are ranked after losing their top offensive and defensive players, plus their keeper.

That means the coaches trust that Golan can replace the Big 4.

I am surprised that they are ranked after losing their top offensive and defensive players, plus their keeper.

That means the coaches trust that Golan can replace the Big 4.

Offensively, I think they'll score goals.

Sydney Squires really came on at the end of last season and finished with eight goals. Molly Fiedler, who had seven assists, is also back in midfield. They also return April Bockin, who had seven goals last year before getting a little banged up at the mid-point. With Emily Heslin and Maddie Gaffney back as well, they're going to be pretty darn good in the midfield.

Having Tori Burnett and Nikki Albrecht back is going to help a lot defensively.

If they can find a capable replacement in goal for Hobbs, I think they'll be pretty solid. Figuring Kailee Sharp will start there, but I could be wrong.

The ladies defeated Creighton in an exhibition in Omaha this afternoon, 1-0.

April Bockin with the goal in the 64th minute. The team also got plenty of players extended playing time, which is always a good thing in exhibition games. The team held a 23-2 edge in shots. Kailee Sharp started in goal.

They return home to face Kansas State for their second exhibition game Friday at the Robbie. Opening kickoff is 7 p.m.

The Gophers downed Kansas State 2-0 last night at the Robbie in their final preseason game of the 2017 season.

Got goals from Molly Fiedler and freshman Athena Kuehn while holding a 21-6 edge in shots. Kailee Sharp got the start in goal.

Coach Golan and the ladies kick off the regular season at Washington State Friday.

link: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/081117aab.html

They have out shot their opponents in the two games 44 to 8. Are they quality shots? Doesn't sound like it being that the scores were 1-0 and 2-0. Anyone?

They have out shot their opponents in the two games 44 to 8. Are they quality shots? Doesn't sound like it being that the scores were 1-0 and 2-0. Anyone?
I know they hit four posts against Kansas State. Also hit a couple against Creighton I think.

Having not seen them yet this year, it's hard to know. Coach Golan seems happy with how they're playing, so I'll go with her opinion.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I know they hit four posts against Kansas State. Also hit a couple against Creighton I think.

Having not seen them yet this year, it's hard to know. Coach Golan seems happy with how they're playing, so I'll go with her opinion.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Thanks, I did not know this.

Thanks, I did not know this.

No problem! Hard to really know where the team is at based on stats from two exhibition games, but it seems they're headed in the right direction.

With that said, the Big 10 released their preseason poll and the ladies are picked fifth behind Penn State, Rutgers, Northwestern and Michigan. Honestly, I'm a little surprised and thought we would be ranked in the top three. But the difference between first and fifth is going to be pretty slight in my opinion. After all, three teams shared the conference regular season title a year ago before the Gophers won the tournament.

One thing is for sure; it's going to be an interesting season.

link: http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/081417aaa.html

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/082117aab.html

The Minnesota Golden Gophers took down North Dakota State University in the home opener at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium 3-0 in front of 1,662 fans, the fourth most in program history.

Minnesota got goals from two seniors, including a blast from senior Megan Koenig. Minnesota outshot the Bison 17-2 in the game, including nine on goal.

“Megan did a great job at recognizing that the goalie was off the back line and put in a Sportscenter Top Ten goal,” Golan said. “All of our goals were of great quality, but what I am most excited about is the number of quality chances we created across the board.”

Senior Sydney Squires started the scoring off in minute 10 with a header on the left side of the goal. Her goal came off a gorgeous cross from senior Megan Koenig.

“We are happy with the overall performance, it was really important to come back off of a tough road trip and have a really strong performance,” said Golan. “We moved the ball really well and created better quality opportunities. I thought the pieces came together very well for us as a team.”

Seven minutes later, junior captain Emily Heslin who beat the Bison goalkeeper. On a free kick in the 17th minute, Heslin sent a bender to the top right corner and had the crowd on its feet. Heslin’s goal is her first since her game-winner last season in the Big Ten Tournament championship game.

The women's soccer team doesn't get much attention on these boards, so I figured I'd add a little to the discussion.

Coach Golan and the ladies were ranked #19 in the preseason United Coaches Poll yesterday. They're the top-rated Big 10 team and are joined in the poll by Rutgers at #21, Nebraska at #22 and Northwestern at #23. Interesting that traditional power Penn State isn't ranked.

The ladies went 16-3-4 last year (7-1-3 in the Big 10), winning both the regular season and conference tournament titles.

They need to replace several key players, including Simone Kolander, Josee Stiever, Tarah Hobbs and Rashida Beal. Nevertheless, there's a very good foundation returning and they should be a factor in the conference race again.

Link to the Poll: http://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/Rankings/College_Rankings/NCAA_DI_WOMEN/web/Rankings/NCAA/DI_WOMEN.aspx?hkey=4ab40ccb-7881-4ed2-a75e-8e55e047c62e

PSU jumped from NR to #9 in the Coaches Poll. They remained #3 in the Soccer America poll. Gophers dropped from the rankings.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last Friday, Minnesota played a 1-1 draw against #24 Notre Dame

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/082717aaa.html

The Gopher Sports recap:

Squires four goals ties a program-record for goals in a single match. She also had nine total points, which is the second most in a match in program history.

Maddie Nielsen had to take over in goal for Minnesota after an injury to Kailee Sharp during warm ups. The freshman saw five shots total and registered one save in her first playing time with the Gophers.

1. 19:12 MINN McGahn, Kellie (1) Squires, Sydney
2. 50:36 MINN Squires, Sydney (2) Bockin, April
3. 52:37 MINN Squires, Sydney (3) Albrecht, Nikki
4. 57:51 ISU Powell, Courtney (1) (unassisted)
5. 65:49 MINN Squires, Sydney (4) McGahn, Kellie
6. 67:48 MINN Squires, Sydney (5) Burnett, Tori
7. 89:50 MINN Gernes, Julianna (1) Penalty kick

Squires nabs NCAA POW honors.

Pretty cool to have Soccer & VB kicking butt and WCC ranked Top 25, all going into the first football game. Would be nice to see our men beat out our women for once, lol. But that will be tough with how much the women raise the bar!!! lol

Friends and I decided to take advantage of the 4 tickets for 10$ deal at the State Fair so I am going to my first match October 8th. I've always followed the team but never made it out for a game so I am excitied.

Friends and I decided to take advantage of the 4 tickets for 10$ deal at the State Fair so I am going to my first match October 8th. I've always followed the team but never made it out for a game so I am excitied.

While I have yet to see a game in person during the Golan era, I've found them very entertaining to watch even on TV or streaming. The ladies play an up-tempo, aggressive style and don't back down from anybody. They're going to play their game regardless of the opponent, which I really like.

One thing is for sure, you'll get plenty of bang for your buck.

A hand-ball call ended up costing the Gophers a 1-0 loss to UC-Santa Barbara yesterday.

It was a particularly disappointing loss considering the ladies were clearly the better team on the field. Out-shot the Gauchos 19-6 and had a vast majority of possession. Missed on a couple of great chances inside the six-yard box in the second half.

The hand-ball call took place with 30 minutes left in regulation and was on the edge of the 18. It was hard to tell from the video feed if it was a good call or not. Other than being awarded the penalty-kick, USCB created virtually nothing offensively while the Gophers pressed and nearly tied the game twice over the final five minutes.

Can't say it wasn't a strong performance in terms of how they played. Created chances, pinned UCSB back throughout the game and gave up almost nothing defensively. The Gauchos just had lady luck in their pocket and the Gophers (2-1-2) didn't. In soccer, that happens.

Hoping they can rebound against Providence on Sunday.

link: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/090117aaa.html

Gophers defeat Providence 1-0 with 20 seconds remaining in double OT.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/090817aaa.html

Minnesota defeated Utah State 5-0 and the score reflected the match. The Gophers attacked and attacked. Here's the game story with highlights:

Julianna Gernes started the scoring the University of Minnesota soccer team in the first half, and the Gophers were able to ride that momentum in the second half in route to a 5-0 victory over Utah State in the non-conference finale at home.

Gernes scored her second goal of the season in the 38th minute to put the Gophers ahead. Maddie Castro, who had entered the game just minutes prior, and Molly Fiedler assisted her on the goal.

“We focused on being composed inside the 18 today. Julianna’s goal was exactly that. When the ball ended up at her feet, she had a defender on her, but she didn’t panic and was able to beat that defender and finish back post with her left foot like a finisher should,” head coach Stefanie Golan said.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/090817aaa.html

Minnesota defeated Utah State 5-0 and the score reflected the match. The Gophers attacked and attacked. Here's the game story with highlights:

Julianna Gernes started the scoring the University of Minnesota soccer team in the first half, and the Gophers were able to ride that momentum in the second half in route to a 5-0 victory over Utah State in the non-conference finale at home.

Gernes scored her second goal of the season in the 38th minute to put the Gophers ahead. Maddie Castro, who had entered the game just minutes prior, and Molly Fiedler assisted her on the goal.

“We focused on being composed inside the 18 today. Julianna’s goal was exactly that. When the ball ended up at her feet, she had a defender on her, but she didn’t panic and was able to beat that defender and finish back post with her left foot like a finisher should,” head coach Stefanie Golan said.

A nice way to end the preseason.

Now on to Big 10 play!

Haven't had any updates on women's soccer for awhile, so here goes:

The ladies are now 4-2-3 overall and 0-1-1 in conference play after snatching a tie from the jaws of victory yesterday in a 2-2 final against Michigan.

For the game, the ladies piled up a 39-7 edge in total shots against the Wolverines, including a 12-4 edge in shots on target, and led 2-1 until a bad defensive gaffe allowed Michigan to even things up in the final 10 seconds of regulation and steal a tie.

Disappointing result considering how much the ladies absolutely dominated yesterday. Had the good fortune of being able to watch most of the game and Michigan should really be thanking their lucky stars they escaped without a loss. The ladies were clearly the better team from the start. But as they've found out a couple of times this season, all it takes is one bad play to be the difference between winning and having to settle for a tie or a loss, no matter how much you outplay the opponent.

Hoping they can reverse this trend vs. Michigan State on Sunday.

link: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/092117aaa.html

Top Bottom