Dick Vitale: Richard Pitino making a name for himself with the Minnesota Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Vitale:

Richard Pitino is building his own reputation as a college coach.

The son of Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino finished his fourth season as Minnesota head coach with a 24-10 record. That was good enough to earn him Big Ten Coach of the Year.

Pitino led the Gophers to a school-record 23 regular season wins and an NCAA appearance for the first time since 2013. Unfortunately, the team dropped three of its final four games, including a loss to a solid Middle Tennessee in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Pitino has six of his top seven scorers from last year's team returning. Minnesota is led by guards Nate Mason and Amir Coffey, two players who should contend for All-Big Ten honors this season. The Golden Gophers also return Jordan Murphy, a member of the Big Ten All-Freshman Team. He was the Gophers' first honoree since 2005 and only the third ever.

Throw in Dupree McBrayer, Reggie Lynch and Eric Curry and Pitino has a deep and talented nucleus. He also has a couple of newcomers competing for playing time to add depth.

Minnesota also has an advantage at Williams Arena. Minnesota went 17-3 at home last season.

Having success in the Big Ten won't come easily. Michigan State is loaded and there are many teams contending for NCAA tournament berths.

Fans in Minnesota will have plenty to cheer about. One key reason for optimism in the presence of young Richard Pitino, who is building his own coaching legacy.

http://www.espn.com/espn/dickvitale...tino-making-name-the-minnesota-golden-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Weak article, but love the ESPN pub! Baby!

At least he got all the players names right and didn't incorrectly tell us who they are related to. That's an upgrade over the average ESPN or Myron piece. Speaking of which, I look forward to his counter-point 'how soon will Pitino bolt Minnesota hell-hole' article.'

Interesting that Jordan Murphy was a member of the Big-Ten all freshman team. I guess better late than never.

Interesting that Jordan Murphy was a member of the Big-Ten all freshman team. I guess better late than never.

And Reggie Lynch, the reigning defensive player of the year, is just a throw in at the end.

Ol' Dicky must have missed the dates whe he googled Murphy and not realized it was 2 years ago.

and that he was all-big ten second or third team last year as a sophomore.

Ol' Dicky must have missed the dates whe he googled Murphy and not realized it was 2 years ago.

Well the fact is he did make the all freshmen team. Oh by the way so did Chris Humphries, I think. Does Chris still play for the Gophers?

Top Bottom