Mason's top 3 in the West.

Reaction score
This on the BTN Review. Mason on the Gophers: " Hey, if they settle on a QB and he performs up to expectations you can throw them in the battle for the West. This is not a rebuild for PJ, he has enough talent. You still need a QB , and right now that is a big "if"." This is not verbatim, but pretty close to what Mase said. His top 3 in the West:
1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
BTW...Mason is the best they've on the BTN . Really a great breakdown on the East and West.

I don't see it with Iowa. Wadley is exceptional but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them go 6-6 or 7-5.

I don't see it with Iowa. Wadley is exceptional but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them go 6-6 or 7-5.

Iowa is tough to figure out. It seems the years they are expected to be good, they fail to meet expectations. The years everyone writes them off, they end up exceeding expectations. Not only is Wadley good, but they have a very good offensive line. Mase knows a thing or two about that.

The only thing Mace knows about offensive line play was to hire Gordie Shaw. Unfortunately Kill was to stubborn or perhaps felt threatened and pasted on that hire. I am convinced had he pulled the trigger and hired GS, we all would have seen a far different outcome. Put then that's water over the proverbial dam.

Iowa is tough to figure out. It seems the years they are expected to be good, they fail to meet expectations. The years everyone writes them off, they end up exceeding expectations. Not only is Wadley good, but they have a very good offensive line. Mase knows a thing or two about that.

Agreed, and a good line and good RB can take them farther than maybe some might expect. They have a tough schedule though (PSU, OSU at home, at MSU, at Northwestern, at Wisconsin and at Nebraska), new QB, no WR, and the defense is good in places (DE) but weak in others (DT, CB, lost Snyder to an ACL during Spring). If I were a betting man I'd say this is a "down" year in IC but sets things in motion for stronger 2018.

I liked the part when Mason said Tracy was a great coach, but listening to him speak was like watching paint dry or something to that affect. Said he kind of shied away from the spotlight. Then said PJ never met a camera he didn't like. He meant it as a compliment to PJ and his enthusiasm. Said they were on opposite ends of the coach spectrum. Pretty spot on with both. Also, said PJ was brought in to take the Gophers to the next level in the conference. Certainly am hopeful that will happen and after watching the first episode of Being PJ, I believe he can do that.

The fact that we play our 1st game in 28 days and still don't know who our starting QB will be doesn't bode well. For that reason alone it would be hard to put us in the top 3.

Agreed, and a good line and good RB can take them farther than maybe some might expect. They have a tough schedule though (PSU, OSU at home, at MSU, at Northwestern, at Wisconsin and at Nebraska), new QB, no WR, and the defense is good in places (DE) but weak in others (DT, CB, lost Snyder to an ACL during Spring). If I were a betting man I'd say this is a "down" year in IC but sets things in motion for stronger 2018.

Don't they play Minnesota? That should be part of the "tough" part since we will spank them.

Don't they play Minnesota? That should be part of the "tough" part since we will spank them.

I'm not terribly optimistic heading into '17 but Minnesota hasn't won in Iowa City since 1999 and only 3 times since 1981.

The only thing Mace knows about offensive line play was to hire Gordie Shaw. Unfortunately Kill was to stubborn or perhaps felt threatened and pasted on that hire. I am convinced had he pulled the trigger and hired GS, we all would have seen a far different outcome. Put then that's water over the proverbial dam.

Wait what? Mason was the best offensive coach we've had since I was born.

The fact that we play our 1st game in 28 days and still don't know who our starting QB will be doesn't bode well. For that reason alone it would be hard to put us in the top 3.

Iowa's still trying to figure that out too. It's just easier to put known names with established coaches in a top 3. I think the issue with these lists is analysts often don't factor in the schedule. Iowa gets Ohio State and Penn State at home and while Michigan State is down that game is still on the road. They also get Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern on the road. That's at least 5 games they probably won't be favored to win. Obviously with a first year coach things can go any which way but as long as the defense doesn't take a big step back we should be in a lot of games.

This on the BTN Review. Mason on the Gophers: " Hey, if they settle on a QB and he performs up to expectations you can throw them in the battle for the West. This is not a rebuild for PJ, he has enough talent. You still need a QB , and right now that is a big "if"." This is not verbatim, but pretty close to what Mase said. His top 3 in the West:
1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern
BTW...Mason is the best they've on the BTN . Really a great breakdown on the East and West.

I saw Mase earlier this week on BTN give the same 3, but had jNU ahead of Iowa. Did he change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ outright said he'd decide after practice started, he was hoping for early on in practice, but I'm not sure day 2 or 3 was what he meant ;)

I'm not terribly optimistic heading into '17 but Minnesota hasn't won in Iowa City since 1999 and only 3 times since 1981.

I going with it as my "lock" of that week.

I can't put the Gophers at more than 4-6 wins until we know what kind of QB play we get.

You are 100% correct Ski-U-Mah & RTB!

1. Wisconsin
2. Iowa
3. Northwestern

I don't know why, but it really bugs me when you use that contraction this way...and you do it pretty consistently. Nobody speaks that way. That is all.

Not ideal but

I don't agree it's a problem. No, it's not ideal. But, from a passing production standpoint, the bar is pretty darn low. I'm confident whoever our quarterback is he can at least match Leidner's passing numbers.
Our play calling will enhance whoever the quarterback is. Mitch got no coaching help. They didn't put him in situations to succeed. This offensive coaching staff seems far better imo. Hopefully, I feel the same way after witnessing a couple games...but the offense almost has to be better whoever is the quarterback.

I don't know why, but it really bugs me when you use that contraction this way...and you do it pretty consistently. Nobody speaks that way. That is all.

Maybe you could pm him and tell him?

I don't agree it's a problem. No, it's not ideal. But, from a passing production standpoint, the bar is pretty darn low. I'm confident whoever our quarterback is he can at least match Leidner's passing numbers.
Our play calling will enhance whoever the quarterback is. Mitch got no coaching help. They didn't put him in situations to succeed. This offensive coaching staff seems far better imo. Hopefully, I feel the same way after witnessing a couple games...but the offense almost has to be better whoever is the quarterback.

It probably won't be hard for the new QB to match Mitch's passing production. What will be missed is his running ability with the read option and QB sneak.

It probably won't be hard for the new QB to match Mitch's passing production. What will be missed is his running ability with the read option and QB sneak.

True on Leidner's running but the coaches can utilize other strengths we do have to replace that. McCrary or Brooks can replace Mitch's sneaks or maybe this QB has a knack to read the seam available. Read option can be replaced by throwing bubble screens, passes to the backs, screen passes or the tons of other ways to exploit the defense that we are good at. Whatever it is...but passing to Rodney is option one for me to replace that strength of Mitch. Just saying the coaches will figure out what we can do well. Doesn't have to be the same thing we did last year.

Top Bottom