All Things "Being P.J. Fleck" ESPNU Documentary Series Thread

I thought it was really interesting. I've seen/heard most of that stuff already over the past few months. Really interested to see some actual footage. Is the filming over with, or are they going to incorporate some in season stuff? Would love to see a Hard Knocks type show with him, but I'm sure the NCAA would rage hell at that idea

I'm sure they'll have footage from camp in the following weeks.

For someone in GH land who said PJ Fleck is a progeny of Kill and Brewster fed coke in baby bottles, you are wrong.

He is just wired that way. His enthusiasm is infectious, and he will rub that on his players.

I like what he said about his HS football team that won back to back championships going 14-0 two years in a row. He said that as individuals, they were nobody but as a team they were phenomenal. They learned to lean on each other and play as a team.

This guy was already learning about coaching even in HS.

This reality series is a PR bonanza for PJF and the Gopher Football Program.

Absolutely loved it!! Cannot wait to see the remaining episodes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was really interesting. I've seen/heard most of that stuff already over the past few months. Really interested to see some actual footage. Is the filming over with, or are they going to incorporate some in season stuff? Would love to see a Hard Knocks type show with him, but I'm sure the NCAA would rage hell at that idea

I believe it's Showtime that does 'a season with...' and films them throughout the year. The last two were FSU and Notre Dame I think.

Back on topic. Cool first episode.

I don't know if GHers caught it, but Jim Tressel said that Fleck wasn't wired to "stay" at Western Michigan though they tried to do everything they could to keep him.
First things first, win a bunch of games. But, if he does, that doesn't seem like an observation that he's likely to stay and not go for a bigger job.
Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but it was just a comment that stood out to me.

I don't know if GHers caught it, but Jim Tressel said that Fleck wasn't wired to "stay" at Western Michigan though they tried to do everything they could to keep him.
First things first, win a bunch of games. But, if he does, that doesn't seem like an observation that he's likely to stay and not go for a bigger job.
Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but it was just a comment that stood out to me.

I noticed that as well. But, to be fair, Tressel said that before PJ bought a house in Edina and said nice things about MN.

I enjoyed it as well. Thought it was well done. Thought the praises from Tressel and Nolan were great. Hoping Schiano is on as well.
There was a particular part where he was doing an interview in a chair and, for the first time, he appeared to me anyways, a bit tired - which is anything but the norm for him from what we've seen. Looking forward to seeing next episodes.

Great pub for our team. Presented a very good view of Fleck.

Impressive debut. This has to be a significant benefit in recruiting. He has Notre Dame written all over him. If he gets to 8-9 wins this year, he will be wined and dined. I can't wait to see if his energy and enthusiasm translates to wins. I really thought the show tonight did a good job of negating the "blowhard" reputation.

I wondered if anyone else would catch that. He's always said he's someone who turns around programs. But was that just his mode of getting to the Power 5, or is that just wired into his coaching DNA?

Personally, while I think that could be part of his DNA, I also wouldn't be so quick to put Minnesota in the same category as Western Michigan. There's a difference between being wired to stay at Western Michigan and being wired to stay at a Power 5 school with brand new facilities and an administration that's shown willingness (so far) to open up the checkbook.

I would also remind people....he had a chance to leave WMU last year for at least two Power 5 schools. He declined. Whether that was because his goals at WMU hadn't been met or he was looking for the right fit for himself and RTB, that should be encouraging for anyone who's concerned he may jump at the first opportunity to get out of town.

As a whole, this job was a great fit for him. Not just in the football offices, but I believe in the community as well. He seems much more a metropolitan guy than someone who'd be willing to move to some of these smaller towns in more rural areas. If it's truly in his DNA to move around building up programs and leave once it's done, maybe he'll leave no matter what. I do believe though, there's a chance that with the right amount of success he could wind up the longest tenured coach here since Murray Warmath almost 50 years ago.

He was wearing a Becky shirt in his youth. I'm done with him...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For those that said it was only about PJF I was hoping they were wrong...it looks like they were, a lot of Gopher stuff on episode 1. Pretty entertaining and well done. I enjoyed learning about his past, a guy who by all accounts from his coaches wasn't a great athlete but won by sheer will and determination leading to the NFL. Think about that. Just a fantastic quality to mentor college kids. Also enjoyed Nolan recounting how he offered him an NFL coaching job after letting him go as a player. Amazing!

I thought it was well done. It shows what happens when you maximize your abilities. If he was out on the East coast there wouldn't be enough room on the band wagon. Not so here in the land of stoic Minnesotans. I'm sure the skeptic's that watched it last night thought: "Well, he seem original and his mentors say he's original, but I just don't know"

Haven't watched yet but I think the biggest factor on whether PJ leaves someday, will be Heather.
He seems to really value her and her opinion different than some coaches where the wives are more of an enabler.

We just not going to talk about him apparently growing up as a Badger fan?? :)

We just not going to talk about him apparently growing up as a Badger fan?? :)

Funny...he was going to try and walk-on with the Badger BB team. It's going to be fun watching PJ and the Gophers shove that Axe up Becky's ass for the next 5 years and beyond.

Just so everyone knows, there will be no current or camp footage. This was recorded months ago. All of it. They aren't churning out new content in August to air in August.

Haven't watched yet but I think the biggest factor on whether PJ leaves someday, will be Heather.
He seems to really value her and her opinion different than some coaches where the wives are more of an enabler.
I agree with this and also his kids will be so involved with school, friends and sports here (Hockey?) that they will not leave any time soon.

Just so everyone knows, there will be no current or camp footage. This was recorded months ago. All of it. They aren't churning out new content in August to air in August.

That's kinda disappointing, I was hoping for more of the "Hard Knocks" style of show, similar to the ND/FSU series on Showtime.

Still enjoyable watching though.

I learned that PJ Fleck apparently isn't for everybody. Up to this point, I had no idea.

I bought a 3 pack to Gopher games this year. Going to make the once annual trip to Minneapolis across the great Vadger state into a 3x per year in football and 3x per year in basketball (also going to catch the providence game for hoops).

I'm going to wear a shirt, tie and a Gopher Pullover to each game.

Who's with me?

I bought a 3 pack to Gopher games this year. Going to make the once annual trip to Minneapolis across the great Vadger state into a 3x per year in football and 3x per year in basketball (also going to catch the providence game for hoops).

I'm going to wear a shirt, tie and a Gopher Pullover to each game.

Who's with me?

I like it. I like it a lot!!

If only I could find that gold 1/4 zip. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom