All Things "Being P.J. Fleck" ESPNU Documentary Series Thread

What does that have to do with anything? Is coaching the team self promotion too? Calling plays is self promotion because the players didn't come up with it.

Thanks for the non answer.
The slogans are all his. Thus it is self promotion when he talks about them.

I think it is great what he is trying to do here. Certainly hope it works and he has an incredible run here. Just do not think that all of what he is doing is for The U of M.

I think it is great what he is trying to do here. Certainly hope it works and he has an incredible run here. Just do not think that all of what he is doing is for The U of M.

Al Davis came up with Just Win Baby was that consider self promotion. Even if he does self promote, it still promotes the U of M and why is it a big deal anyway.

The plays are all his too. Winning a game will be self promotion too.

All those videos on HYPRR, FAMILY, etc. are self promotion. They are there to promote himself to potential recruits. Nothing wrong with that as it does get his message out. But they are all about self promotion.
And Spoofin didn't say ONLY about himself, he said he does self promotion. Those are two different things, because he is promoting himself and the U of M is part of that.

The irony of Forget About Me I Love You as self-promotion was not lost on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Davis came up with Just Win Baby was that consider self promotion. Even if he does self promote, it still promotes the U of M and why is it a big deal anyway.

Did Al have videos created for Just Win Baby to explain it to the fans? Put it on the Helmet and or uniforms? Say it every time he was interviewed?

Did Al have videos created for Just Win Baby to explain it to the fans? Put it on the Helmet and or uniforms? Say it every time he was interviewed?

Isn't it trademarked though? Also if he did so what I still don't see the big deal.

Isn't it trademarked though? Also if he did so what I still don't see the big deal.

Not sure if it is. It's not a big deal. But people claiming it is not self promotion are delusional and that was what I was trying to get at.

You called a coach explaining his teams slogans to fans "self-promotion".

I don't necessarily think those slogans by themselves are self-promotion, but the fact that GFB has a different opinion about it than you doesn't mean he/she is "making it up".

I think PJ promotes himself as part of the package of promoting the program (he does it a lot more than most of us are used to from other coaches we've had in Minnesota, college or pro). The end-goal there is more fan interest and more interest from recruits. I'm ok with that if it means more wins and more fan interest.

Are the slogans for the fans or are they for the team?
The slogans, and I'm not just talking RTB, are for the team. We as fans do not need to know about them or what they stand for. Having the videos to explain them is self promotion. He's putting those out there so people (prospective athletes, their parents and coaches, etc) can "see" what he is all about. Again I will say it is not a bad thing, but it IS self promotion.

The slogans, and I'm not just talking RTB, are for the team. We as fans do not need to know about them or what they stand for. Having the videos to explain them is self promotion. He's putting those out there so people (prospective athletes, their parents and coaches, etc) can "see" what he is all about. Again I will say it is not a bad thing, but it IS self promotion.

Again, how does that only benefit PJ? You have yet to come up with something that only benefits him and no one else. Those terms are a part of his culture, and if they win and stay out of trouble, it benefits everyone. These terms are mentioned by the players and coaches in interviews, and on the TV show. The videos are made to explain these terms to people who may wonder what they mean.

If you don't care about them, or don't like them, so be it. But if you want to claim self promotion, then come up with something that only benefits PJ and no one else.

No, it's not. He uses them when he talks and tweets, why wouldn't fans want to know what they mean?????

Again, how does that only benefit PJ? You have yet to come up with something that only benefits him and no one else. Those terms are a part of his culture, and if they win and stay out of trouble, it benefits everyone. These terms are mentioned by the players and coaches in interviews, and on the TV show. The videos are made to explain these terms to people who may wonder what they mean.

If you don't care about them, or don't like them, so be it. But if you want to claim self promotion, then come up with something that only benefits PJ and no one else.

There isn't anything about what he does that is going to only benefit him. Never said that. But to say all the stuff he is doing is for the benefit of the U of M is also not valid. It will benefit both the U and him. He is selling himself to people and he is selling the university of Minnesota football to people. Therefore he is self promoting and he is also promoting the school.
I don't care for some of it, but there is also some of it that is really cool, like the Blake and Justin scholarship awards videos.

Sorry, I'm not like you or SON who will automatically dislike someone or their 'style' without meeting them, just because they think and act differently than I or you do.

This is particularly rich coming from the biggest Tracy Claeys hater on the board. Safe to say that you've met Tracy Claeys, yes?

Al Davis owned the Raiders and could do whatever he wanted (within the rules) to promote the team, himself, whatever. P.J. Fleck doesn't own the University of Minnesota nor its football team. He's the caretaker until that responsibility is entrusted to someone else. It's a very important distinction and bringing up Al Davis was a total non sequitur.

Al Davis owned the Raiders and could do whatever he wanted (within the rules) to promote the team, himself, whatever. P.J. Fleck doesn't own the University of Minnesota nor its football team. He's the caretaker until that responsibility is entrusted to someone else. It's a very important distinction and bringing up Al Davis was a total non sequitur.

Al doesn't own the team anymore...sorry

You made me look up sequitur. Damn you!

This is particularly rich coming from the biggest Tracy Claeys hater on the board. Safe to say that you've met Tracy Claeys, yes?

No, and I'd love to meet Tracy and talk football. Again, I never had a problem with him personally, just never thought he would make a good long-term head coach. I also let him coach games before I had those thoughts.

There isn't anything about what he does that is going to only benefit him. Never said that. But to say all the stuff he is doing is for the benefit of the U of M is also not valid. It will benefit both the U and him. He is selling himself to people and he is selling the university of Minnesota football to people. Therefore he is self promoting and he is also promoting the school.
I don't care for some of it, but there is also some of it that is really cool, like the Blake and Justin scholarship awards videos.

Which is what every coach in the county does. It's also what pretty much anyone who has ever cared about their job does. You work to benefit your employer and yourself.

No, and I'd love to meet Tracy and talk football. Again, I never had a problem with him personally, just never thought he would make a good long-term head coach. I also let him coach games before I had those thoughts.

I think you secretly wanted him to succeed.

So what is your point? Obviously the people above him don't have any issues with it or he wouldn't be able to self promote on the U of M websites and social media pages

Why is self promoting so bad? PJ doesn't care if you like it or not. Don't be so sensitive. He promotes his style of coaching and life philosophy. Big deal if it bothers some and they think its self promoting. So you're uncomfortable about it. Grow up. Move on. I'm excited for the season and the exposure the U is getting.

Why is self promoting so bad? PJ doesn't care if you like it or not. Don't be so sensitive. He promotes his style of coaching and life philosophy. Big deal if it bothers some and they think its self promoting. So you're uncomfortable about it. Grow up. Move on. I'm excited for the season and the exposure the U is getting.

Sure. But, by the same respect couldn't others ask why some folks get upset that they don't like it? Don't be so sensitive. Big deal if it doesn't bother you. So you're comfortable with it. Grow up. Move on.

Just because PJ is about promoting the program and the team does not mean it is all about self promotion. Your logic is ridiculous.
PJ approaches his job like a teacher. He is always trying to turn things into learning lessons and he is very in tune to making sure things make an impression. In the show he talks about giving the scholarship to Cashman. He said if he would have just announced it in front of the team, years later the players would most likely only remember that a walk on got a scholarship. He set up a scenario where the whole team lived the experience and will remember it for the rest of their lives. That is why everything he does seems to be over the top, he is trying to make a lasting impression.

So what is your point? Obviously the people above him don't have any issues with it or he wouldn't be able to self promote on the U of M websites and social media pages

Al Davis owned the team. Within reason, he could do anything he wanted and didn't have to answer to anyone. If he wanted to make their team colors pink and purple and name his team the Oakland Sillynannies, he could do that. P.J. Fleck reports to Mark Coyle, who reports to Eric Kaler, who reports to the Board of Regents, who report to the people of the state of Minnesota. Al Davis signed the front of the checks. P.J. Fleck signs the back of the checks. Despite the fact that he is a very well-compensated employee, he is an employee nonetheless. Al Davis was an employer. The two situations aren't remotely comparable.

Top Bottom