All Things "Being P.J. Fleck" ESPNU Documentary Series Thread

What happened to this series? I can't find it on ESPN2 and it's not listed on ESPNU next week either.

I really liked this episode. PJ appears to be a great family man along with a wonderful wife in Heather. But there was hardly any U of M stuff in this episode. So I'm going to reserve judgement. Great if he stays, but if he leaves, I'll be very mad that he was self-promoting himself during this episode and not U of M football.

He did say we have a lot of fortune 500 companies within a 5 mile radius, but a lot of the other stuff was just about his family, kids, etc. So for die-hard, Flecktics, this might not be your type of episode.

I really liked this episode. PJ appears to be a great family man along with a wonderful wife in Heather. But there was hardly any U of M stuff in this episode. So I'm going to reserve judgement. Great if he stays, but if he leaves, I'll be very mad that he was self-promoting himself during this episode and not U of M football.

He did say we have a lot of fortune 500 companies within a 5 mile radius, but a lot of the other stuff was just about his family, kids, etc. So for die-hard, Flecktics, this might not be your type of episode.

And I will add that many mother's want their kids near a great family man/role model.... So for recruiting purposes this episode is quite targeted....

And I will add that many mother's want their kids near a great family man/role model.... So for recruiting purposes this episode is quite targeted....

It appears that Heather almost co-offices with PJ.
I think that's great.

It's good to have a mature female's perspective around the football complex I would assume. I think Heather is a big asset for the program. Ultimately, she'll decide how long PJ stays here.

It appears that Heather almost co-offices with PJ.
I think that's great.

It's good to have a mature female's perspective around the football complex I would assume. I think Heather is a big asset for the program. Ultimately, she'll decide how long PJ stays here.

She's not very friendly in person. Didn't bother to look at me as I approached. A nod or smile would have been nice. Is she shy? Not sure. PJ doesn't come across as warm as you'd expect either. Believe me, I'm a huge fan of his but was surprised how somewhat distant he was in a 1-on-1 conversation.

She's not very friendly in person. Didn't bother to look at me as I approached. A nod or smile would have been nice. Is she shy? Not sure. PJ doesn't come across as warm as you'd expect either. Believe me, I'm a huge fan of his but was surprised how somewhat distant he was in a 1-on-1 conversation.

Wow! Coming from you this is somewhat hard to believe.

Yes, because PJ spent the last two weeks cutting this episode. Come on now. That's ESPN who chose what to put in. He's wearing gopher gear pretty much every time on camera...

I really liked PJ's smirk when he talked about other schools reporting his croot / camp video.

Just watched the episode and he threw that ball at Heather's son as hard as he could and knocked the kid to the floor and then commanded him to bounce up and shake his hand. Hope he's that hard on his players

Just watched the episode and he threw that ball at Heather's son as hard as he could and knocked the kid to the floor and then commanded him to bounce up and shake his hand. Hope he's that hard on his players

I was startled by that. If I hurt my kid by being a dumbass (most dads do at some time or another) I apologize. I don't tell him to rub a brick on it and get over himself.

I was startled by that. If I hurt my kid by being a dumbass (most dads do at some time or another) I apologize. I don't tell him to rub a brick on it and get over himself.

Oh come on, it was an indoor ball and the kid clearly wasn't hurt, had he actually been injured his reaction would have been far different. It was very clear in the episode that the competition is fierce in that house but there is also a ton of love as well.

I have been really impressed with this series and although I haven't read all the comments in this thread it seems like the overall reaction it is getting is very positive. Some are latching onto bits and pieces to find reasons why he will jump ship right away or whatever but from what I have seen this whole series is an awesome recruiting tool for the U of M.

And on the subject of him leaving for bigger and better things, he still has to win here before that happens so if he gets snatched up by a helmet school or goes to the NFL there is a very good chance he will be leaving behind a program in great shape.

I frankly don't understand the angst by many Gopher fans about Fleck leaving if he's successful. The University has had some high profile female coaches leave but I can only recall Holtz being the only high profile coach of a men's team leaving. Am I missing something? I fervently hope that Fleck has the kind of success that would bring USC, Alabama, Florida State, and Ohio State knocking on his door.

I frankly don't understand the angst by many Gopher fans about Fleck leaving if he's successful. The University has had some high profile female coaches leave but I can only recall Holtz being the only high profile coach of a men's team leaving. Am I missing something? I fervently hope that Fleck has the kind of success that would bring USC, Alabama, Florida State, and Ohio State knocking on his door.

I would have given an arm for a coach who was good enough to be able to leave for another head coaching job while I sat in the rain / mist during the South Dakota St. game....

I would have given an arm for a coach who was good enough to be able to leave for another head coaching job while I sat in the rain / mist during the South Dakota St. game....

It's one of them good problems.

If Fleck leaves here to go to a helmet school, he was a fantastic hire.

As someone who has not been a huge Fleck fan so far, I will say it was interesting to see another side of his personality, when he's not as "on" as he is in front of his players or the media. And, considering that he only has the kids part of the time, I can understand why they cram so much activity into the day. Still, I would find a day like that exhausting.

Other observation - Heather's personality seems to be just as strong as PJ's. Nothing wrong with that. They may not be the type of people that I would necessarily choose to hang out with, but to each their own. (I am just a lot more laid-back. high-energy people like that make me nervous)

As someone who has not been a huge Fleck fan so far, I will say it was interesting to see another side of his personality, when he's not as "on" as he is in front of his players or the media. And, considering that he only has the kids part of the time, I can understand why they cram so much activity into the day. Still, I would find a day like that exhausting.

Other observation - Heather's personality seems to be just as strong as PJ's. Nothing wrong with that. They may not be the type of people that I would necessarily choose to hang out with, but to each their own. (I am just a lot more laid-back. high-energy people like that make me nervous)

Yeah they seem to be a high energy fitness couple type of folks.

The kind I feel jealous of, but man I couldn't do it that way.

Yeah, your missing some of it.

Mason publicly begged tOSU to hire him and he said if someone from another school calls to offer him a job that he'd "have to take that call".

It also ties into the number for professional free agents who have left for other places too. Not many of them head this way.

Oh come on, it was an indoor ball and the kid clearly wasn't hurt, had he actually been injured his reaction would have been far different.

Looked to me like PJ was hoping the kid was hurt and he seemed disappointed when he discovered he wasn't. I can't be sure, but also seemed like he was looking around the room for a harder ball to throw. Pretty surprising really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked to me like PJ was hoping the kid was hurt and he seemed disappointed when he discovered he wasn't. I can't be sure, but also seemed like he was looking around the room for a harder ball to throw. Pretty surprising really.

Sad part is that there are probably some on here the viewed that segment exactly like that.

We want a coach that is going to do what it takes to win right!?!?!

Tough love

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom