All Things "Being P.J. Fleck" ESPNU Documentary Series Thread

Normally not a big fan of your posts but that's pretty good!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

yea, people don't like, it's cool :)

look, even if you don't like fleck (i'm not a big fan), he has the attention of the kids, he's trying to make the lives of everyone around him better, and at the end of the day, that's what should matter
i'll be on the boat, rowing with everyone else

Raising awareness for my favorite university, lifting the spirits of kids who are sick, raising money for children's hospitals, getting donations for those less fortunate, improving the recruiting landscape and hopefully winning at a high level...I'm fine with him being all about himself then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're easily fooled.

Name one thing that PJ has done that is only about himself? And Row the Boat is the wrong answer.

Row the Boat. And pretty much everything else he does. That's alright, you love everything about him so you see nothing but unicorns and rainbows.

Sorry, I'm not like you or SON who will automatically dislike someone or their 'style' without meeting them, just because they think and act differently than I or you do.

Have met him. Don't like him. Insincere. Never heard someone talk about himself so much ever.

Al Davis owned the Raiders and could do whatever he wanted (within the rules) to promote the team, himself, whatever. P.J. Fleck doesn't own the University of Minnesota nor its football team. He's the caretaker until that responsibility is entrusted to someone else. It's a very important distinction and bringing up Al Davis was a total non sequitur.

Well said

Have met him. Don't like him. Insincere. Never heard someone talk about himself so much ever.

Apparently you've never listened to our current president.

Apparently you've never listened to our current president.

Great comment...the most beautiful comment you'd ever want to hear....like a comment the world has never seen before. It was very, very, very good stuff. Amazingly funny and even humorous.

Rather than "self-promotion," I would say it's more like "cross-promotion."

Yes, PJ Fleck is promoting the University of MN football program, and by extension, the University at large. But, at least to some extent, he is also promoting the "PJ Fleck" brand. I think everyone gets the idea of "branding" in today's media-driven culture. Pro athletes are always talking about promoting and extending their "brands," often in a commercial context.

For a college coach, the idea of "branding" is also valid. "Nick Saban" is a coach, but he's also a brand name. Same for Urban Meyer and other big-time coaches. I do not think PJ Fleck is blind to the notion that, while promoting the U of MN, he is also raising his own image and building his own brand. I have yet to meet a coach - at any level - who didn't have an ego.

We can argue about how much that brand exists separately from the U of M, but the dude has his own reality show on national TV. The title of the show is "Being PJ Fleck." Even if you believe the primary goal of the program is to promote Gopher Football, at the same time, the program is raising awareness of PJ Fleck as a coach, and as a brand. Hey, if it means the guy can snag a little more money in endorsements in the future, fine - that's the American Way.

The real question is the ratio. Is he 100% about gopher Football and 0% about PJ Fleck. I would say no. Is he 100% about PJ Fleck and 0% about Gopher Football. Again, No. The question is where you set the ratio. But, even if, say, it's 90% about Gopher Football, then its at least 10% about PJ Fleck. That's cross-promotion.

Bump.

Finally got around to watching the 2nd episode of the program. Couple of reactions.

1st - that avocado toast looks awful. no green food.

2nd - more seriously. I was surprised by how much Heather seems to know about and follow the recruiting process. there was a scene in the kitchen where Fleck is talking about a recruit coming in for a visit, and Heather was asking about the kid's parents, and seemed to know a lot about the recruiting process in general. she was saying the kid would commit, and Fleck was saying, no, he won't commit at this visit. Maybe I'm sexist, but I was surprised she would follow individual recruits. just didn't expect that from a coach's wife. Not that she isn't interested in her husband's job - but the amount of detailed knowledge she showed in the process.

3rd - the operations guy - I think his name is Gerrit - seems like a character. I know the show is focusing on Fleck, but I'd like to see more about the other coaches and members of the staff.

Haven't seen a lot of talk on here about the actual show. It's been more about side issues. (which I admit I have played a role in.....)

Bump.

Finally got around to watching the 2nd episode of the program. Couple of reactions.

1st - that avocado toast looks awful. no green food.

2nd - more seriously. I was surprised by how much Heather seems to know about and follow the recruiting process. there was a scene in the kitchen where Fleck is talking about a recruit coming in for a visit, and Heather was asking about the kid's parents, and seemed to know a lot about the recruiting process in general. she was saying the kid would commit, and Fleck was saying, no, he won't commit at this visit. Maybe I'm sexist, but I was surprised she would follow individual recruits. just didn't expect that from a coach's wife. Not that she isn't interested in her husband's job - but the amount of detailed knowledge she showed in the process.

3rd - the operations guy - I think his name is Gerrit - seems like a character. I know the show is focusing on Fleck, but I'd like to see more about the other coaches and members of the staff.

Haven't seen a lot of talk on here about the actual show. It's been more about side issues. (which I admit I have played a role in.....)

If I remember correctly, there was a commitment during the episode. Could that have been the shaved head bet?

Sorry if this had been discussed, but I don't feel like going through 10 pages of fighting to find the answer. This is a 4-part series, correct? Does anyone know when Part 4 will air? Looking at my DirecTV guide, it's not on next Wednesday.

Rather than "self-promotion," I would say it's more like "cross-promotion."

Yes, PJ Fleck is promoting the University of MN football program, and by extension, the University at large. But, at least to some extent, he is also promoting the "PJ Fleck" brand. I think everyone gets the idea of "branding" in today's media-driven culture. Pro athletes are always talking about promoting and extending their "brands," often in a commercial context.

For a college coach, the idea of "branding" is also valid. "Nick Saban" is a coach, but he's also a brand name. Same for Urban Meyer and other big-time coaches. I do not think PJ Fleck is blind to the notion that, while promoting the U of MN, he is also raising his own image and building his own brand. I have yet to meet a coach - at any level - who didn't have an ego.

We can argue about how much that brand exists separately from the U of M, but the dude has his own reality show on national TV. The title of the show is "Being PJ Fleck." Even if you believe the primary goal of the program is to promote Gopher Football, at the same time, the program is raising awareness of PJ Fleck as a coach, and as a brand. Hey, if it means the guy can snag a little more money in endorsements in the future, fine - that's the American Way.

The real question is the ratio. Is he 100% about gopher Football and 0% about PJ Fleck. I would say no. Is he 100% about PJ Fleck and 0% about Gopher Football. Again, No. The question is where you set the ratio. But, even if, say, it's 90% about Gopher Football, then its at least 10% about PJ Fleck. That's cross-promotion.

By your definition the rational, the ratio shouldn't matter because every time he promotes one he promotes the other. I still don't see the issue. If a college coach doesn't sell himself or the program, he won't last long at a place like this. The U has needed a coach that can bring national attention for a while now just because the local talent can't fill out 50% of a class.

By your definition the rational, the ratio shouldn't matter because every time he promotes one he promotes the other. I still don't see the issue. If a college coach doesn't sell himself or the program, he won't last long at a place like this. The U has needed a coach that can bring national attention for a while now just because the local talent can't fill out 50% of a class.

Don't agree with this as every coach we have had has recruited on a national level. Each had their own specific areas that they were strong in. Wins and playing in better bowl games will bring more national attention and will catch the eye of recruits.

Sorry if this had been discussed, but I don't feel like going through 10 pages of fighting to find the answer. This is a 4-part series, correct? Does anyone know when Part 4 will air? Looking at my DirecTV guide, it's not on next Wednesday.

I would guess that part 3 will air prior to part 4. :)

They are supposed to be on 8/16 and 8/23.

I would guess that part 3 will air prior to part 4. :)

They are supposed to be on 8/16 and 8/23.

I get that. I have Part 3 scheduled to record on Wed., but when I went to 8/23 to record Part 4, the guide had blocked out a bunch of time for from like 6-9 for one of the 25 greatest games of 2016 (don't remember what it was).

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

PJ / Minnesota / ESPN working the Land O Lakes partnership again in episode 3

Episode 3 was great! Heather is great! His kids are great! Nice to see how he brings the family into his career. Looking forward to the final episode and the start of the season.

I know all four episodes are already filmed but wouldn't it be Fleck like if they edit the end and name the starting QB for the 2017 season.

Loved Episode 1 & 2. Kind of disappointed in #3. Kept wanting to see some football stuff.

I finally got caught up and watched all 3 episodes tonight. It's hard to single out one specific thought on the mini-series or PJ, but this is some good exposure for the school and the kind of coverage he probably wants.

Anyone else surprised we haven't had a big time recruit nose around the Gophers because of the show? I mean what kid is going to watch this and not want to play for the guy?

Great series so far. We learn more about PJ the coach, the man, the husband, and the father. I am rowing the boat more with each episode. Great exposure for the "U", Minneapolis, and our great state. No doubt the recruits will come.

Tonight was definitely lighter on the U and heavier on PJ, but I mean, the show is called Being PJ Fleck and not Being Gopher Football.

And I think that's okay. I think that makes the show more of a draw for the college football fan.

Anyone else surprised we haven't had a big time recruit nose around the Gophers because of the show? I mean what kid is going to watch this and not want to play for the guy?

Are people outside of MN watching this? Kids don't watch a lot of TV to start with and this is on a lower-rung ESPN channel.

Top Bottom