All Things "Being P.J. Fleck" ESPNU Documentary Series Thread

One little thing I noticed, a pat of the helmet of number 17 and the comment all you do is make plays. That took me to gophersports.com to check the roster. And a link to sign up for a Friday Fleck email. Anyway back to the roster. All the talk about Rhoda or Croft. And the comment all you do is make plays goes to Seth Green.

One little thing I noticed, a pat of the helmet of number 17 and the comment all you do is make plays. That took me to gophersports.com to check the roster. And a link to sign up for a Friday Fleck email. Anyway back to the roster. All the talk about Rhoda or Croft. And the comment all you do is make plays goes to Seth Green.

He was talking to Jacob Huff.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first segment. This is going to be great exposure for The University of Minnesota and Gopher Football.

What I take away from this is how highly regarded he is by everyone he ever played for, worked under, and worked over.... and that includes some VERY big names in football. They understand how genuine he is and what his capacity to succeed is.

Agree 100%.

http://www.startribune.com/being-p-...s-part-of-the-authentic-experience/438309263/

If there was a main theme in the first episode, it was a constant stream of testimonials from various folks who have known Fleck for a long time, all saying essentially the same thing: yes, Fleck is authentic. His up-tempo, always-on-the-move, whirling dervish style is not an act. That’s just him.

His parents recalled taking him to see a doctor, even, when Fleck was younger to make sure his flurry of activity was normal. (It was, they were told).

That segment of the show also revealed several fun childhood pictures of Fleck, though Gophers fans might have cringed when one was of him wearing a Wisconsin Badgers T-shirt. A multi-sport athlete in high school, Fleck said on the show that he thought he would wind up playing college basketball instead of football — as a walk-on with the Badgers.

Instead, as those who have become familiar with Fleck in recent months have learned (and it’s been hard not to learn these things given his presence), the episode noted that he parlayed his Division III size into a Division I scholarship at Northern Illinois as a wide receiver and later spent time with the NFL’s 49ers, mostly on their practice squad.

When that dream ended, he transitioned quickly into coaching. Fleck started compiling a binder early in his career for the day he would become a head coach — an opportunity he got at Western Michigan.

One quote from the show that struck me came via former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel, one of Fleck’s coaching mentors.

“You know Western Michigan was trying to make it so nice for him to have a great situation and stay there forever,” Tressel said. “But that’s not the way he’s wired. He wants the next challenge.”

Oh, maybe there is some controversy to be had? If Fleck is wired for the next challenge, what’s to say he’ll stay in Minnesota for the long haul.

Nah, it was dashed moments later in the episode’s conclusion. Fleck, shown preparing for the Gophers spring game, talked about how surreal it felt to be a Big Ten coach after dreaming of such a thing.

“This is our new home,” Fleck says as the show ends. “Wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

Just watched the show this morning. It was really good.
Loved the HS highlights of his playing days in both fb and bb. He may not have been an elite athlete, but he certainly was a damn good one, especially if he was MVP of the state title game.

http://www.startribune.com/being-p-...s-part-of-the-authentic-experience/438309263/

If there was a main theme in the first episode, it was a constant stream of testimonials from various folks who have known Fleck for a long time, all saying essentially the same thing: yes, Fleck is authentic. His up-tempo, always-on-the-move, whirling dervish style is not an act. That’s just him.

His parents recalled taking him to see a doctor, even, when Fleck was younger to make sure his flurry of activity was normal. (It was, they were told).

That segment of the show also revealed several fun childhood pictures of Fleck, though Gophers fans might have cringed when one was of him wearing a Wisconsin Badgers T-shirt. A multi-sport athlete in high school, Fleck said on the show that he thought he would wind up playing college basketball instead of football — as a walk-on with the Badgers.

Instead, as those who have become familiar with Fleck in recent months have learned (and it’s been hard not to learn these things given his presence), the episode noted that he parlayed his Division III size into a Division I scholarship at Northern Illinois as a wide receiver and later spent time with the NFL’s 49ers, mostly on their practice squad.

When that dream ended, he transitioned quickly into coaching. Fleck started compiling a binder early in his career for the day he would become a head coach — an opportunity he got at Western Michigan.

One quote from the show that struck me came via former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel, one of Fleck’s coaching mentors.

“You know Western Michigan was trying to make it so nice for him to have a great situation and stay there forever,” Tressel said. “But that’s not the way he’s wired. He wants the next challenge.”

Oh, maybe there is some controversy to be had? If Fleck is wired for the next challenge, what’s to say he’ll stay in Minnesota for the long haul.

Nah, it was dashed moments later in the episode’s conclusion. Fleck, shown preparing for the Gophers spring game, talked about how surreal it felt to be a Big Ten coach after dreaming of such a thing.

“This is our new home,” Fleck says as the show ends. “Wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

Oh gawd.... I thought it was just at the water cooler and on this board, even the Minnesota papers have this defeatist attitude.

Who cares if he leaves, if he leaves for greener pastures it's because he proved he can coach at the B1G 10 level, and we get to be part of that proof.

For those that said it was only about PJF I was hoping they were wrong...it looks like they were, a lot of Gopher stuff on episode 1. Pretty entertaining and well done. I enjoyed learning about his past, a guy who by all accounts from his coaches wasn't a great athlete but won by sheer will and determination leading to the NFL. Think about that. Just a fantastic quality to mentor college kids. Also enjoyed Nolan recounting how he offered him an NFL coaching job after letting him go as a player. Amazing!

This struck me, too. Fleck seemed to go out of his way to show the U of M name or logo. He had an M pin on his lapel, his dad was wearing a cap, his mom a shirt. The logo and name were everywhere.

I hope this is a joke

That was shot in spring ball, before some of the numbers changed. Pretty sure that was safety Jacob Huff he was talking to, not Seth Green.

Just FYI it's not online anywhere. So catch it while its broadcasting if you can.

Just FYI it's not online anywhere. So catch it while its broadcasting if you can.

I see it available for replay on my WatchESPN app - under "Sport > ESPN Original Entertainment > Replay," or here on PC. You have to have a cable provider login to access.

This struck me, too. Fleck seemed to go out of his way to show the U of M name or logo. He had an M pin on his lapel, his dad was wearing a cap, his mom a shirt. The logo and name were everywhere.
Fleck stated in a recent press conference that his job was to bring positive national exposure to the U of MN. I would say he is doing that so far.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I see it available for replay on my WatchESPN app - under "Sport > ESPN Original Entertainment > Replay," or here on PC. You have to have a cable provider login to access.

That is the dumbest navigation I have ever seen. Why is "ESPN Original Entertainment" under the category sport? Either way, I found it, thank you very much for the info.

It's also on PlayStation Vue for those who have it. I watched it last night and had it on the computer in the background this morning at work.

Oh gawd.... I thought it was just at the water cooler and on this board, even the Minnesota papers have this defeatist attitude.

Who cares if he leaves, if he leaves for greener pastures it's because he proved he can coach at the B1G 10 level, and we get to be part of that proof.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

If PJ is a ladder climber and always looking for the next challenge, he's going to leave us if he has success and achieves his goals here. Nothing you can do about that. Would you trade that for a coach who would stay but won't reach the same heights?

If he isn't a ladder climber, and wants to make his mark, it's possible that he can do that here. It's possible this could be the place he wants to stay and build into another Wisconsin or Michigan St. That would be great. Either are good outcomes. No point in gnashing teeth over it. You aren't going to parse his words and get a definitive answer. It might be that even he doesn't know.

When he wins here and fills the seats, The U of M & others will take very good care of him and do what it takes to keep him... $$$.

Just finished watching it on DVR and the entire pace of the program was befitting Fleck: fast and furious. I'm exhausted just trying to keep up, and there are 3 more episodes to go.

On BTN in a half hour (11:30 pm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched the first episode tonight. Really great stuff!

Definitely makes me more excited for the season to start. We obviously have no idea how Fleck will shake out here, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic for the long run. This guy just exudes a winner's energy. You can tell he sincerely wants to succeed and push himself and his team to the limit.

When he wins here and fills the seats, The U of M & others will take very good care of him and do what it takes to keep him... $$$.

I agree, if he leaves for greener pastures it means he did a great job here and elevated the program to the next level. One would think it would need to be an SEC or ACC school or even an NFL job.

MSP is a top 15 TV market with 6 professional sports teams and 15+ Fortune 500 companies. New athletes
Village and elite facilities. Host of Super Bowl LII as well as 2019 Final Four. There is a huge opportunity here with so much to offer. It starts with PJ and building this new culture.

Sheesh...let him at least win 10 games once before we worry about him leavin'

Yep...posted the same sentiment probably a half-dozen times in the last two months on GH. I expect him to win now and build on it. Can see 2019 being a big year. That happens and the U will back up the Brinks truck with a long-term contract and big buy-out after that season.

It's pretty amazing how often it comes up. He hasn't even coached a game for the U and people already have him leaving.

I agree, if he leaves for greener pastures it means he did a great job here and elevated the program to the next level. One would think it would need to be an SEC or ACC school or even an NFL job.

MSP is a top 15 TV market with 6 professional sports teams and 15+ Fortune 500 companies. New athletes
Village and elite facilities. Host of Super Bowl LII as well as 2019 Final Four. There is a huge opportunity here with so much to offer. It starts with PJ and building this new culture.

I can't see him in the NFL at all. His demeanor / coaching style doesn't work with the professional athlete. If he ends up somewhere else like ND or in the SEC I could understand it.

I'm very excited for the rest of the series.

I can't see him in the NFL at all. His demeanor / coaching style doesn't work with the professional athlete. If he ends up somewhere else like ND or in the SEC I could understand it.

I'm very excited for the rest of the series.

It worked for Pete Carroll.

It is amusing to read how many things are upsetting to certain fans re PJ. And then others are so worried about him leaving. I am just enjoying everything he is doing and am really excited to see what he puts out on the field. We have made fun of Gopher recruits who had MAC offers in the past. Yet PJ took a MAC bottom feeder to the Cotton Bowl.

Top Bottom