Melo Tremble - Stayed in college too long - signs with Wolves as UFA

Otis

Reaction score
This guy should have left college after his Freshman year. He would have most likely been a first round pick and gotten guaranteed money.
Waited till his Junior year and goes undrafted. Signs a partially guaranteed contract with Wolves who have Tyus. Tyus went to the NBA when his stock was high and is making millions.

More proof that keeping up with the Joneses takes brains.

This guy should have left college after his Freshman year. He would have most likely been a first round pick and gotten guaranteed money.
Waited till his Junior year and goes undrafted. Signs a partially guaranteed contract with Wolves who have Tyus. Tyus went to the NBA when his stock was high and is making millions.

More proof that keeping up with the Joneses takes brains.

Haha!! Too true though, Melo cost himself a lot of money.

Rodney should have left after his FR year...had a shot at getting drafted in first round...late first round all about potential.

Probably true, but does this simply make him the exception to the rule?

No. Lots of guys would have been drafted higher had they left earlier. Most of them just end up still getting drafted.

He'd still be no better of a basketball player. The difference is purely financial and for only the first contract.

Good signing by the Wolves. Unfortunately, he's likely not going to get a roster spot....too many guards already. Maybe headed to Iowa.

He'd still be no better of a basketball player. The difference is purely financial and for only the first contract.

Prefer to be an out of work multimillionaire basketball player who has to go back to school for that degree than a degree holding out of work basketball player without those millions...easy choice. I would have left school in the first week if I could get a 3 year $9 million contract guaranteed.

Prefer to be an out of work multimillionaire basketball player who has to go back to school for that degree than a degree holding out of work basketball player without those millions...easy choice. I would have left school in the first week if I could get a 3 year $9 million contract guaranteed.

I don't understand why people think staying in school guarantees players will get better. Rodney stayed all 4 and his game didn't improve a bit he just got more confidence as he got older

It's a lot of difference but those guarantee years but you more time to develop and NBA teams have better facilities, personal don't have to worry about pointless classes getting in the way

I don't understand why people think staying in school guarantees players will get better. Rodney stayed all 4 and his game didn't improve a bit he just got more confidence as he got older

Are you responding to me or are you a dip**** that doesn't know how to use this forum? I said Rodney should have left after his FR year to get the money. Somebody else said his game would still suck, to which I responded better to be rich than not rich. Take the dough..then you said your nonsense.

Are you responding to me or are you a dip**** that doesn't know how to use this forum? I said Rodney should have left after his FR year to get the money. Somebody else said his game would still suck, to which I responded better to be rich than not rich. Take the dough..then you said your nonsense.
Jeez calm down, the guy was agreeing with you by expanding on the point you made. No need to get all worked up

Rodney should have left after his FR year...had a shot at getting drafted in first round...late first round all about potential.
What I remember was Rodney's draft stock dropping like a rock once scouts saw that he absolutely couldn't shoot in Big Ten play. I didn't see a single mock draft projecting him to go first round. The only time he was listed as a first round pick was when the Gophers were beating Directional State in cupcake non-conference games. He looked awesome dunking and lay-upping his way to 20 points.

That's what I remember anyway.

Lighten up Francis

After his Freshman year Rodney was rated as the 12th or 17th highest prospect in the nation. That's first round money and it would have been guaranteed for three years.

Who knows he could have improved his jumper or became a defensive stopper in 3 years working in the NBA.

Yea it's a strange line of thinking. Pretty clear to me that the NBA is a better place for kids to develop their game than college is.

Better coaching, facilities, more time for practice, can get acclimated to the pro style of ball, etc.

20 years ago I could understand the argument for staying in school to help your skill development, but not anymore.

After his Freshman year Rodney was rated as the 12th or 17th highest prospect in the nation. That's first round money and it would have been guaranteed for three years.

Who knows he could have improved his jumper or became a defensive stopper in 3 years working in the NBA.
Do you have any links/evidence to support this? If he had ever been rated that high, that would have made him a possible lottery pick and there is absolutely no way he would have returned for his sophomore year. People were gushing over him 5 games into his freshman season, but that faded quickly against better competition. I think your memory is a bit off.

If Rodney had the skills to play in the NBA, he'd be in the NBA. There are reasons no team has had him suit up for them. And NBA teams LOVE to throw money away at "potential."

Do you have any links/evidence to support this? If he had ever been rated that high, that would have made him a possible lottery pick and there is absolutely no way he would have returned for his sophomore year. People were gushing over him 5 games into his freshman season, but that faded quickly against better competition. I think your memory is a bit off.

If Rodney had the skills to play in the NBA, he'd be in the NBA. There are reasons no team has had him suit up for them. And NBA teams LOVE to throw money away at "potential."

The only love to throw money away at potential on 19-20 yr olds. Rodney was 22-23 when he went pro, that type of potential goes to the D-League, or whatever they call it.

I remember the preseason into his sophomore year, somebody had him as the projected #11 prospect for the following draft, I think it was SI. That was before the season, not after it though so it's a little different.

Yea it's a strange line of thinking. Pretty clear to me that the NBA is a better place for kids to develop their game than college is.

Better coaching, facilities, more time for practice, can get acclimated to the pro style of ball, etc.

20 years ago I could understand the argument for staying in school to help your skill development, but not anymore.

Exactly. If there is a chance you get drafted off of potential, you should go. You can focus on basketball and if it doesn't work out, you can go back to school as a millionaire and finish your degree.

ESPN, NBADraft.net, and draftexpress all had Rodney in the top 10-20 in mocks during his freshmen year. He was a first rounder in preseason mocks as a sophmore

This is absolutely true. The staying in school didn't make him not an NBA talent. It just gave teams time to see it. That is a big reason the NBA would love to see guys stay in school a long time like in the old days. Let a few years of college sort out who is NBA caliber and who isn't.

This is absolutely true. The staying in school didn't make him not an NBA talent. It just gave teams time to see it. That is a big reason the NBA would love to see guys stay in school a long time like in the old days. Let a few years of college sort out who is NBA caliber and who isn't.

Or GMs could do a better job instead of just picking players on potential. It's not like these one and done players are forcing NBA teams to pick them. There have been seniors drafted in the first round who were bust also.

Or GMs could do a better job instead of just picking players on potential. It's not like these one and done players are forcing NBA teams to pick them. There have been seniors drafted in the first round who were bust also.

Of course there are. There are no absolutes on either side of it.

Rodney was not going to be drafted period.

IDK he was listed pretty high in 2010 mock drafts. I remember Myron posting one that had him going number 2 in the draft. Sometimes it's better to go before the scouts realize you're not good, but I suppose that's how you end up with a Dark or a Johnny Flynn type pick

IDK he was listed pretty high in 2010 mock drafts. I remember Myron posting one that had him going number 2 in the draft. Sometimes it's better to go before the scouts realize you're not good, but I suppose that's how you end up with a Dark or a Johnny Flynn type pick

Jonny Flynn was just a square peg in a round hole. He was never going to work in Rambis' offense. He really wasn't bad his rookie year 13.5 ppg 4.4 apg 2.4 rpg in 29 minutes PER of 13.0 (this would have been the 8th, 15th, 11th, 8th best in the last 4 years but his year this was the 22nd best rookie...). Problem was he didn't improve and actually got worse from there.

Not a single NBA GM had Rodney being drafted. Scouts from the Lakers , Wolves and Bucks never saw NBA in him. High athleticism, low skill. My son was a scout for the Bucks at the time. Teams do not care about mock drafts od ESPN, SI or anyone else. They care about their own professional, 24 hour a day evaluations. I saw Rodney as someone who if he developed his low level skill that he might get 2-3 years in Europe.

Top Bottom