Melo Tremble - Stayed in college too long - signs with Wolves as UFA

Jonny Flynn was just a square peg in a round hole. He was never going to work in Rambis' offense. He really wasn't bad his rookie year 13.5 ppg 4.4 apg 2.4 rpg in 29 minutes PER of 13.0 (this would have been the 8th, 15th, 11th, 8th best in the last 4 years but his year this was the 22nd best rookie...). Problem was he didn't improve and actually got worse from there.

It was both Rambis' horrible coaching plus his weird, outdated system AND the hip injury. Flynn was never close to the same player after the hip operation.

You're right that Flynn was actually pretty decent as a rookie, it was just overshadowed by the players taken immediately after him (obviously Steph, plus DeRozan and Brandon Jennings who had a 55 pt game his rookie season).

ESPN, NBADraft.net, and draftexpress all had Rodney in the top 10-20 in mocks during his freshmen year. He was a first rounder in preseason mocks as a sophmore
The key words you used are "during" and "preseason"? Like I said earlier, during the early non-conference schedule when he was scoring at will on fast break dunks and layups he was projected high. But by the end of his freshman year, his production had dropped off so far that no one was showing him as a first round pick. If he was such a first round lock, why didn't he turn pro?

I think a few people in this thread must be buddies of Rodney's because they sure seem to be embellishing his freshman year game. Either that or we were apparently watching a different Rodney Williams play for the Gophers. The one I saw scored 4.3 PPG, grabbed 1.6 RPG, and struggled shooting the ball from outside of 5 feet or so.

You're right that Flynn was actually pretty decent as a rookie, it was just overshadowed by the players taken immediately after him (obviously Steph, plus DeRozan and Brandon Jennings who had a 55 pt game his rookie season).

You should've just stopped at Steph. That's an historic draft blunder the Wolves will never get over.

Just think if the Wolves had drafted Steph and Rubio instead, we could have traded Steph and Love to get Wiggins and Bennett!:cool:

The key words you used are "during" and "preseason"? Like I said earlier, during the early non-conference schedule when he was scoring at will on fast break dunks and layups he was projected high. But by the end of his freshman year, his production had dropped off so far that no one was showing him as a first round pick. If he was such a first round lock, why didn't he turn pro?

I think a few people in this thread must be buddies of Rodney's because they sure seem to be embellishing his freshman year game. Either that or we were apparently watching a different Rodney Williams play for the Gophers. The one I saw scored 4.3 PPG, grabbed 1.6 RPG, and struggled shooting the ball from outside of 5 feet or so.

I'm with you. Rodney was exciting to watch and no doubt had a solid college career. I like Rodney. But let's be realistic. While he may have appeared on some lists of players to keep an eye on he never played well enough (on a consistent basis) to merit a first round draft choice. NBA GMs might take a guy based on potential, but Rodney was never going in the first round. If he was then would have (and should have) gone pro. Maybe someone would have taken a 2nd round flyer on him after his freshman or sophomore season, but no way a team was taking him in Round 1.

As for Melo, yea he probably should have left school earlier. Still time for him to make something of his career, and don't forget that if guys play their cards right (aka get a good agent) they can still set themselves up pretty well playing overseas. Might not be NBA money, but with the team paying for your taxes, house, and car in Europe or Asia it's still a heckuva a lot more money than your average 22-23 year old is making.

It was both Rambis' horrible coaching plus his weird, outdated system AND the hip injury. Flynn was never close to the same player after the hip operation.

Jonny Flynn put up ok numbers his rookie season because we were so bad. But he was awful (he actually got worse).

He was inefficient, a horrible defender, and an awful decision maker.

By almost every single advanced stat, he was the same player as a rookie as he was in year 3. Year 2 he was slightly worse, the year of the injury.

This is the issue with the NBA.

They now draft purely on potential and not results.

In today's draft, Tim Duncan would be a mid-1st rounder.

Jonny Flynn put up ok numbers his rookie season because we were so bad. But he was awful (he actually got worse).

He was inefficient, a horrible defender, and an awful decision maker.

By almost every single advanced stat, he was the same player as a rookie as he was in year 3. Year 2 he was slightly worse, the year of the injury.

I just looked at his stats, and that isn't true. He barely even played in year 3 and when he did, his shooting and efficiency wasn't close to that of his rookie season.

This is the issue with the NBA.

They now draft purely on potential and not results.

In today's draft, Tim Duncan would be a mid-1st rounder.

You think a 6'11 player who went 21pts 15 Rebs and 3 blocks after going 19pts 12 rebs and 4 blocks as a junior would slip to the mid first round?

In today's draft he would've been a top 10 pick after his sophomore year.

Top Bottom