"Row the Boat" Added to the Gold Helmet

For like the 5th time, my comment was about bringing up Michigan to begin with. That's fine if you and others dislike it. But I think the reason "Michigan wouldn't do this" is not a good one.

Ok then. How about Iowa???? Wouldn't see them do it either

We get it, you don't like Row the Boat. Stop replying to two week old comments

Correct. This is all about fleck. Reminds me of kind of crap Brewster would do[emoji20]. Needs to shut up until he proves himself.

Really? So you'd rather have zero press coverage, zero national TV hits, zero stories in newspapers until "after he proves himself"? Not a good way to improve the Gophers brand....

As long as we are just naming what other schools would do, I bet Oregon would do it.

Last I checked, we are the University of Minnesota, not Oregon. So, I don't give a crap if this is something Oregon would do.

Last I checked we were the U of MN, not Iowa. So, no, I don't give a crap if this is something Iowa would do or not.

But you didn't think anyone should care about MN either. You should check the poll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question: considering the consternation with a portion of our fanbase over the "Fleck-Takeover" of our program, do you think that insulates us from having him poached from a bigger program (assuming he succeeds)? Several people have referenced other schools that wouldn't bend over and take all of his "culture changes." His entire philosophy seems to based on coming into a school with zero national respect so he can make it his own. Would Notre Dame allow this? Would Michigan (after Harbaugh goes back to the NFL)? Would any SEC school? I mean, this could work out in our favor as Fleck may not want to go to a school with TOO much of an established culture where he cannot place his stamp. If Fleck can turn us around, this may end up being the best case scenario as we may be the biggest University without a culture worth a damn. Yes - I am a homer.

Quick question: considering the consternation with a portion of our fanbase over the "Fleck-Takeover" of our program, do you think that insulates us from having him poached from a bigger program (assuming he succeeds)? Several people have referenced other schools that wouldn't bend over and take all of his "culture changes." His entire philosophy seems to based on coming into a school with zero national respect so he can make it his own. Would Notre Dame allow this? Would Michigan (after Harbaugh goes back to the NFL)? Would any SEC school? I mean, this could work out in our favor as Fleck may not want to go to a school with TOO much of an established culture where he cannot place his stamp. If Fleck can turn us around, this may end up being the best case scenario as we may be the biggest University without a culture worth a damn. Yes - I am a homer.

If we lose a coach because of success I would be fine with that. What a great problem to have. In my lifetime we have fired all gopher football HC except for two (Kill, Holtz).

I would agree with this, for the most part. Really, considering we're a Power 5 school with top facilities, the only places that would be viewed an upgrade in prestige would be the blue blood helmet schools.

Fleck said in a recent interview (I'll give the link its own thread too) that there was a list of eight schools he'd leave WMU for and we were on that list. So are there still seven schools he'd leave Minnesota for? It's possible, but there's also the matter that the school has to accept the culture takeover. Minnesota was willing to do so....would any/all of those other seven schools?

If we lose a coach because of success I would be fine with that. What a great problem to have. In my lifetime we have fired all gopher football HC except for two (Kill, Holtz).

I get that and I agree with you, but that doesn't address the bigger philosophical question that I asked. Are we about the 'biggest' type of program that Fleck would be willing to take over considering his desire to overhaul the slogans and optics? For him to have the freedom to do what he wants to do, we appear to be the perfect intersection of potential and lack of solidified, recent tradition. Plus - we are in probably the best city in the country with a major college football team.

Top Bottom