"Row the Boat" Added to the Gold Helmet

Pretty sure every one of JB's responses when called out on something can be summarized by an old saying involving rubber and glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure every one of JB's responses when called out on something can be summarized by an old saying involving rubber and glue.

I just hope there won't 20+ transfers before the season and hopefully the Gophers can sign more than five players for 2017 class :p

Why do you follow a team you consider to be "nothing" and "garbage"?

You are partially right - I get upset that PJ makes everything about PJ. RTB just comes along with that. If it helps, the HYPRR, Happiness vs Joy, F.A.M.I.LY., etc bother me much more than RTB. I hope he is our program changing coach - we agree there too. Honestly, I feel he has a decent chance. He was a fantastic hire. I still don't know why you feel "the coach is the program" tho and simply do not agree with that.

Now you are choosing to ignore points already made. Was JerrySota the battle cry of NIU the year before Kill came here? Do you think that RTB being a WMU slogan might be part of the issue here? Nah, has to simply be what folks don't like about PJF. Has to be.

FTR - I never owned one bit of JerrySota merchandise. Never considered it. Never saw it on a helmet either.

Nothing to do with what folks don't like about PJ.

Earlier in this thread, someone talked about Fleck being at MN for 20 years, or something like that. If I had to bet my own money, I would say that Fleck will be at MN for 7 years max - maybe less. I just don't see his act as having long-term staying power. I see Fleck as someone who comes in, makes an impact (for better or worse) then moves on to the next opportunity. Look at his coaching career -a lot of short stints and quick moves. What makes anyone think MN will be any different.

Don't like the oars - just wait. They'll be gone in 7 years or less.

The use of "gang bang" was an issue for you because you thought it was posters taking shots a the previous head coach. Yet you continue with "his act" nonsense. Such a fraud.

Nothing to do with not liking what PJ is about?

If you want to imply that everyone (me included) that doesn't like RTB being plastered everywhere must not because we don't like PJF's style, go ahead. It isn't true tho. I don't like RTB being plastered everywhere for a host of reasons already mentioned in this thread. That fact that plastering it everywhere is part of his style simply explains why it happens.

Almost every coach has a ton of short stays on their way to the top, particularly in the modern era. That is indicative of nothing. All of his moves were clear promotions - unless he leaves for the NFL, where is he going to go in college football that's a clear promotion? We have now proven that we will pay at a level commensurate with virtually any job in the country.

My thoughts as well.

Wrong on both counts but nice try.
Cleays was a good to great D-Coordinator and I believe he would have made one heck of a head coach had he been given the chance to continue here. I certainly didn't like everything he did and or said though.
Not mad he was fired. Mad in the way the process was carried out. Big difference. Like the hire of PJF as well. Don't like all the slogans and sayings if they are going to be plastered on all the uni's and helmets. Still think they should be part of the promotional stuff like shirts, etc. but they are not part of the U of M, they are part of PJF.
AND
You most certainly do worship PJF. You are on here all the time supporting and defending everything he does. That is worship. Find me one of your posts that you made a negative comment about PJF and what he does.

Just because someone doesn't have anything negative to say about someone doesn't mean they worship them.

And just because some may not like everything he does doesn't mean they hate him either.

I hate RTB and I hate Rah Rah, if you think that makes me a Fleck hater, that makes you ignorant.

Because I don't constantly post negative **** about him means I worship him? Should I be more like you where you only post negative stuff about him?

What negative thing has he done? Should I be mad players got the highest GPA in program history under him? Should I be mad he put RTB on the helmets? Should I be mad he elevated recruiting? Should I be mad Anthacrite will be worn this year? Should I be mad there's a ESPN show about him? Should I hate the oars?

I didn't like how he took York and Norton over Ezeudu. Does that make you feel better? Of course you probably have no idea what this means.

Wow. Struck a nerve with you did I?

Negative thing: Does Spillane ring a bell? He doesn't want to talk about the past, but has repeatedly commented about how many players were not at spring practice. Even now as fall camp started he recited that. Really its not that big of a thing, so don't get all worked up over this comment. He wants to connect the state with the program, but limited the number of open spring practices to the lowest total in a long time.

Positive things: He has great enthusiasm and really seems to have reached the players who were on the team last year. I think he will do a very good job as our head coach and will be able to maintain and eventually improve the performance of the team starting with this year.

York and Norton are the most recent OL that have verbally committed. Ezuedu did not.

You are sadly mistaken about me posting only negative stuff. Go back and read the Mean Tweets thread as one where I was positive. Also in the Great new video interview thread and Ruesse: After endless bravado thread. Some of the positive that I have posted.
My negative posts about PJF revolve around the use of HIS stuff being intertwined with U of M stuff. Even the Row the Boat logo on t shirts, everything on it focuses more on the oars and Row the boat than on the M. Just don't like it. Didn't get into the Jerrysota stuff either as I am a fan of Gopher Football, not of the coach and their slogans.

Again I will ask, when previously have you EVER made a negative comment about PJF?

You worship him at every turn most of the time you post on here. Although you do have some insight into the program from time to time that comes out of nowhere.

I say we put stickers of paddles on our helmets instead. Shows which players have done the most "rows"

If the Gophers are running across the field to grab the axe for the first time in 13 years not one of you are going to give a damn that Row the Boat is on the helmet. Most will likely spray paint the phrase on their garages out of joy.

No, I won't. I don't care how much he wins, Fleck is not bigger than the U and will never be ok with his stupid slogan on our uniforms.

Wow. Struck a nerve with you did I?

Negative thing: Does Spillane ring a bell? He doesn't want to talk about the past, but has repeatedly commented about how many players were not at spring practice. Even now as fall camp started he recited that. Really its not that big of a thing, so don't get all worked up over this comment. He wants to connect the state with the program, but limited the number of open spring practices to the lowest total in a long time.

Positive things: He has great enthusiasm and really seems to have reached the players who were on the team last year. I think he will do a very good job as our head coach and will be able to maintain and eventually improve the performance of the team starting with this year.

York and Norton are the most recent OL that have verbally committed. Ezuedu did not.

You are sadly mistaken about me posting only negative stuff. Go back and read the Mean Tweets thread as one where I was positive. Also in the Great new video interview thread and Ruesse: After endless bravado thread. Some of the positive that I have posted.
My negative posts about PJF revolve around the use of HIS stuff being intertwined with U of M stuff. Even the Row the Boat logo on thirst, everything on it focuses more on the oars and Row the boat than on the M. Just don't like it. Didn't get into the Jerrysota stuff either as I am a fan of Gopher Football, not of the coach and their slogans.

Again I will ask, when previously have you EVER made a negative comment about PJF?

You worship him at every turn most of the time you post on here. Although you do have some insight into the program from time to time that comes out of nowhere.
Let's break this down:

I don't know what happened with the Spillane thing and neither do you. Of course you believe he contacted him and begged him to transfer. Doesn't make it the truth.

Is there a reason he shouldn't talk about players who he hasn't worked with when asked a question about it? S

He's been out in the community connecting with people more than any coach recently? How is that not connecting with the state? I'm sure fans feel less connected to the program than they did under Claeys. I'm sure Claeys gave monthly updates on the team during the winter. But I'm sure he's not connecting fans with the program because he didn't open more practices during his first year.

The thing is I don't care if you post negative stuff about him. I don't care that you're still mad Claeys got fired. I just want you and others to be consistent and admit you don't like him. It's not hard.

I don't feel the need to post negative stuff about him because I like what he's doing with the program. Is it in the GH rulebook where I have to post negative stuff about him? I don't worship him but I do think he's better for the program than Claeys was, sorry that bothers you.

Fleck is really now reminding me of Brewster. If this truly comes to be a reality, it is no longer The U, but Fleck football. The guy is a joke. I've been defending him around work and other places since he was hired, but they may have all been right when they said he is a self-absorbed cartoon character.

Fleck is really now reminding me of Brewster. If this truly comes to be a reality, it is no longer The U, but Fleck football. The guy is a joke. I've been defending him around work and other places since he was hired, but they may have all been right when they said he is a self-absorbed cartoon character.

He reminds you of Brewster because he put RTB on a helmet?

At least you can admit you don't like him however, more than I can say for others around here. Props

You should go down to athletic complex at the U jump up and down, stomp your feet, run around in a circle, shake your fist at the sky and demand the U right this wrong.

You should go down to athletic complex at the U jump up and down, stomp your feet, run around in a circle, shake your fist at the sky and demand the U right this wrong.

Dumb

Let me get this straight...you have been defending the hire up until today, when you see that RTB is on the helmet? And now he's "a joke", "self-absorbed", and a "cartoon Character"? You flipped from one extreme to the other just because of a tweak on the alternate helmets? Holy cow.

What's dumb is your overreaction to a sticker on a helmet.

It's more than a sticker, and it's about a coach, not the program. He has accomplished nothing. RTB is about PJ Fleck and him alone, not the U. It's just stupid.

Let's break this down:

I don't know what happened with the Spillane thing and neither do you. Of course you believe he contacted him and begged him to transfer. Doesn't make it the truth.

Is there a reason he shouldn't talk about players who he hasn't worked with when asked a question about it? S

He's been out in the community connecting with people more than any coach recently? How is that not connecting with the state? I'm sure fans feel less connected to the program than they did under Claeys. I'm sure Claeys gave monthly updates on the team during the winter. But I'm sure he's not connecting fans with the program because he didn't open more practices during his first year.

The thing is I don't care if you post negative stuff about him. I don't care that you're still mad Claeys got fired. I just want you and others to be consistent and admit you don't like him. It's not hard.

I don't feel the need to post negative stuff about him because I like what he's doing with the program. Is it in the GH rulebook where I have to post negative stuff about him? I don't worship him but I do think he's better for the program than Claeys was, sorry that bothers you.

The U reported a contact violation, but you are claiming nothing happened. This is where your worship of him comes in.
It was a minor thing. But it was not a good thing.
He can talk about those players when asked. Thing is, he made that proclamation in his opening statement at his press conference on Monday. Watch the video if you don't believe me.
He has been out in the community. I did not say he hasn't been trying to connect. I said, he closed more practices than had previously been closed, but had said he wanted to connect the team to the state. Closing practice like he did doesn't do what he said he was going to do. Again, not a big thing.
If you don't care when people post negative stuff, how come you are so quick to immediately comment back to those people? That is called worship, because you have to defend him at every turn. Also, your sarcastic comment in the new thread on diapers being collected is another sign of your worship of all things PJ. It's ok, I just want you to be consistent and admit you worship him. It's not hard.
If he is as good at coaching as he is at promoting, then he will be great for the program. Doesn't bother me at all as I want to see the Gophers play in the BIG title game and a Rose Bowl sometime before I die. Sorry that bothers you. Ski-U-Mah

Let me get this straight...you have been defending the hire up until today, when you see that RTB is on the helmet? And now he's "a joke", "self-absorbed", and a "cartoon Character"? You flipped from one extreme to the other just because of a tweak on the alternate helmets? Holy cow.

No, I've been a wait and see. This just put it over the top - the guy is all about PJ.

It's more than a sticker, and it's about a coach, not the program. He has accomplished nothing. RTB is about PJ Fleck and him alone, not the U. It's just stupid.

Taking a team to a New's Year Day 6 Bowl is not an accomplishment? The Brewster comparison shows your lack of knowledge.

Embrace it or not but this is now Fleck's program. Which includes all that comes with him.

The U reported a contact violation, but you are claiming nothing happened. This is where your worship of him comes in.
It was a minor thing. But it was not a good thing.
He can talk about those players when asked. Thing is, he made that proclamation in his opening statement at his press conference on Monday. Watch the video if you don't believe me.
He has been out in the community. I did not say he hasn't been trying to connect. I said, he closed more practices than had previously been closed, but had said he wanted to connect the team to the state. Closing practice like he did doesn't do what he said he was going to do. Again, not a big thing.
If you don't care when people post negative stuff, how come you are so quick to immediately comment back to those people? That is called worship, because you have to defend him at every turn. Also, your sarcastic comment in the new thread on diapers being collected is another sign of your worship of all things PJ. It's ok, I just want you to be consistent and admit you worship him. It's not hard.
If he is as good at coaching as he is at promoting, then he will be great for the program. Doesn't bother me at all as I want to see the Gophers play in the BIG title game and a Rose Bowl sometime before I die. Sorry that bothers you. Ski-U-Mah

I got nothing for you. No point in responding to this garbage.

He is not alone. I have been a big promoter of PJ but this helmet stuff is going too far. It really gets me thinking about how much of his persona is about self promotion and how much is about creating a winning program at a major university. There have been thousands of excellent contributions to make the U what it is today and there will be thousands more to come. Show some respect for the traditions of the U and don't use it to advertise your own personal promotional slogans. Go crazy with as many t-shirts, flags, posters or whatever, but keep it off the uniforms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really gets me thinking about how much of his persona is about self promotion and how much is about creating a winning program at a major university.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What does this even mean?

This has its ups and downs for me. While I do think the words on the helmet are a bit much, I think they still look good overall.

You need a pretty good close up to even see it from the last time they were worn, so I think it's fine, my attention is still more drawn to the block "M."

As for the words themselves, I think at the very least it might help build the culture and the players will buy in more. Not a be-all, end-all to the team, but if it helps, then right on.

People on here are treating PJ like a girlfriend they are expecting to lose. Yes. I like when she dresses in short jeans shorts and a bikini top, but not in public when everyone can see! Someone else might think she's hot and steal her from me!

Damn - a guy really misses a lot when he spends the day at work.

OK - 2 things - first, on Fleck's coaching career - here it is:

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2006 Ohio State (GA)
2007–2008 Northern Illinois (WR)
2009 Northern Illinois (WR/RC)
2010–2011 Rutgers (WR)
2012 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (WR)
2013–2016 Western Michigan
2017–present Minnesota

MN is Fleck's 6th job in 12 years. average of 2 years a stop. (ironically, the same number he cited at the U of MN as an issue, when talking about sustainability). Hey - maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's not a job-hopper. maybe he's going to stay at the U of MN for 25 years. But, based on the evidence at hand, I stand with my guess that Fleck is at MN for 7 years or less. I could be wrong - but I could be right. We won't know for 7 years (or less).

OK - now the really stupid one. the word "act." I did NOT mean act as in Fleck is an actor, or a phony. I meant it in the sense of "taking his act on the road" - act as a synonym for how he behaves - could have used "shtick" or "routine" or even (gasp) "culture." As in - this is what Fleck is. this is how he acts (as in behaves - not act as in playing a part). At this point, I have accepted that this is who Fleck is. Nobody is that good of an actor to behave the way Fleck does if it wasn't genuine. Robert DeNiro can't stay in character that long.

I absolutely, positively did not mean it as a shot. If I had, I would have used a different word. I work with words - I spend all day typing news and sports scripts for my radio job. I choose words very carefully. If I meant to say Fleck is a phony BS artist, I would have said Fleck is a phony BS artist. Again, I was using "act" as a shortcut - act meaning behavior.

Bottom line - the Fleck supporters are now seeing insults where none exist or were intended. Believe me - when I want to insult Fleck, you will have no problem understanding my meaning.

I imagine when Ski U Mah was first used all the fans were really pissed off about it, that it wasn't part of our tradition. It was started by the friggin' rugby team (U of M Rugby captain John Adams had heard Sioux boys yell "ski-yoo!" when they won canoe races on Lake Pepin. He incorrectly interpreted that phrase as the Sioux word for victory, or exultation and suggested it as a cheer for the University rugby team. A co-captain added the "mah" to make it rhyme with "rah" and created "Ski-U-Mah!" ) So it does have a connection with rowing or paddling. If we're going to stick with tradition we need to go back to the gold uniforms of Bernie Bierman and stick with them.

Top Bottom