"Row the Boat" Added to the Gold Helmet

Holy cow.
Thread started at 9 pm last night and it already has 5 pages and a few pissing matches. This season is going to be awesome!

Don't like how Row the Boat is on the helmet and that it says Row on the front nor that they now have Ski-U-Mah on twice.
As I have stated before, I will NEVER, be ok with Oars, RTB or any other coach slogans being on the uniforms, unless they are something subtle like the bricks on the numbers currently. Ski-U-Mah is NOT a slogan, it is part of U of M history, not just the football team but part of the University and is even in the rouser.

RTB is and will always be a Western Michigan slogan first. It is not nor will it ever be a part of the U of M. Even if PJF is here for 25 years and we win a few BIG titles and maybe even a national title, it will never be apart of the U of M.
If the Gophers win back the axe or Floyd or the Jug or the chair, I will be ecstatic. But I will still not like the RTB slogan on the helmet.
With the uniform changes coming next year, I will be disappointed in the look of them if they have Oars and Row the boat on them. I think it will make them look cheap and will be similar to the XFL uni's and the He Hate Me name on the back. IF the Oars or RTB slogans are subtle like the bricks now, I won't have an issue with them.
A question for all you professing full support of adding RTB and oars to everything.
Will we need to put an oar on those trophies next to the score, to mark the years PJF teams won those?

Actually the U is using these things to aggressively (for their usual standards) market the team, ie see the sign on 94 which says "row with us". The U is using it as marketing and I'm guessing this was not just PJF saying that this needs to be on the helmets that caused it. This is a university decision, not just a PJF decision

Im over it. Im going to choose to like the helmets. It's just a game and the students seem to like them. Times are changing.

Looks like Gold might be the main helmet they wear this year. They're wearing them at practice this year instead of maroon.

Of course the same people complaining about #RTB didn't have a problem with JerrySota or any other reference to Kill being bigger than the program. This is simply about what people don't like about PJ Fleck.

Now you are choosing to ignore points already made. Was JerrySota the battle cry of NIU the year before Kill came here? Do you think that RTB being a WMU slogan might be part of the issue here? Nah, has to simply be what folks don't like about PJF. Has to be.

FTR - I never owned one bit of JerrySota merchandise. Never considered it. Never saw it on a helmet either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That slogan had a direct tie to the U, athletic department, and history of the football program.

Pretty sure it was just Kill trying to let people know he was building something from nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it isn't the end of the world, but it is very lame and bush league. Show me one other B1G team that prominently displays a motivational slogan on their uniforms. They may play with some flashy colors or put parts of the state flag, but not the current motivational slogan! Put a fricking RTB sticker if you must, but don't make the helmet a billboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plus, I'm more of a canoe or kayak kind of guy.

Earlier in this thread, someone talked about Fleck being at MN for 20 years, or something like that. If I had to bet my own money, I would say that Fleck will be at MN for 7 years max - maybe less. I just don't see his act as having long-term staying power. I see Fleck as someone who comes in, makes an impact (for better or worse) then moves on to the next opportunity. Look at his coaching career -a lot of short stints and quick moves. What makes anyone think MN will be any different.

Don't like the oars - just wait. They'll be gone in 7 years or less.

Earlier in this thread, someone talked about Fleck being at MN for 20 years, or something like that. If I had to bet my own money, I would say that Fleck will be at MN for 7 years max - maybe less. I just don't see his act as having long-term staying power. I see Fleck as someone who comes in, makes an impact (for better or worse) then moves on to the next opportunity. Look at his coaching career -a lot of short stints and quick moves. What makes anyone think MN will be any different.

So I guess by that logic, you expect Urban Meyer to be on his way out of Columbus soon since he's never stayed at one place for longer than six years.

Does calling it an act make you feel better about yourself?

Nothing like haters declaring he's going to leave before he's even coached a game here.

So I guess by that logic, you expect Urban Meyer to be on his way out of Columbus soon since he's never stayed at one place for longer than six years.

Does calling it an act make you feel better about yourself?

Nothing like haters declaring he's going to leave before he's even coached a game here.

Josh meet Johnny, Johnny meet Josh. I have to give you two credit, you two are persistent.

Countless individuals including fans, alumni, current and former players and media personalities have said over and over again that Fleck's personality and high energy is not an act. Like it or not it is real. You and others who insist on calling it an act speaks of ignorance.

Given all that we know of Fleck I find it incredible how ignorant people can be on this topic.

-oops wrong forum.... naw right forum, topic has changed-

What would it even mean if PJ's thing was "an act" or a guy who might one day move on?

What would that even look like?

Does he go home each night and take off the PJ suit and reveal himself to be Snidely Whiplash?

Whiplash.png

I don't worship Fleck, you on the other hand worship all things Claeys and you're still mad he got fired.

Wrong on both counts but nice try.
Cleays was a good to great D-Coordinator and I believe he would have made one heck of a head coach had he been given the chance to continue here. I certainly didn't like everything he did and or said though.
Not mad he was fired. Mad in the way the process was carried out. Big difference. Like the hire of PJF as well. Don't like all the slogans and sayings if they are going to be plastered on all the uni's and helmets. Still think they should be part of the promotional stuff like shirts, etc. but they are not part of the U of M, they are part of PJF.
AND
You most certainly do worship PJF. You are on here all the time supporting and defending everything he does. That is worship. Find me one of your posts that you made a negative comment about PJF and what he does.

Look at his coaching career -a lot of short stints and quick moves. What makes anyone think MN will be any different.

Almost every coach has a ton of short stays on their way to the top, particularly in the modern era. That is indicative of nothing. All of his moves were clear promotions - unless he leaves for the NFL, where is he going to go in college football that's a clear promotion? We have now proven that we will pay at a level commensurate with virtually any job in the country.

Yeah I'm sure 'ol Country Jerry came out and said it had something to do with Memorial Stadium. You mind sending me a link of him talking about it?

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/01/20/minnesota-unveils-new-football-uniforms/

Casual followers will have to look hard for noticeable differences.

The numbers use a font that harkens back to the 1940s, with a brick inlay that pays homage to Memorial Stadium.

Coach Jerry Kill says the Gophers made it clear to Nike that they wanted a look that emphasizes the history of the program.

You most certainly do worship PJF. You are on here all the time supporting and defending everything he does. That is worship. Find me one of your posts that you made a negative comment about PJF and what he does.

Because I don't constantly post negative **** about him means I worship him? Should I be more like you where you only post negative stuff about him?

What negative thing has he done? Should I be mad players got the highest GPA in program history under him? Should I be mad he put RTB on the helmets? Should I be mad he elevated recruiting? Should I be mad Anthacrite will be worn this year? Should I be mad there's a ESPN show about him? Should I hate the oars?

I didn't like how he took York and Norton over Ezeudu. Does that make you feel better? Of course you probably have no idea what this means.

Of course the same people complaining about #RTB didn't have a problem with JerrySota or any other reference to Kill being bigger than the program. This is simply about what people don't like about PJ Fleck.

Imagine GHole will go into full blown meltdown mode if the crowd starts chanting "Row the boat".

Jamie Verbrugge, PA announcer, saying "All right Gopher Fans"........"SKI" - flag waves, "U" - flag waves, "MAH" - flag waves; "ROW" - giant oar waves, "THE" - giant oar waves, "BOAT". Rinse and repeat.:banghead:

+1
People up in arms about this reminds me of when Penn St added the Nike swoosh to their plain jersey. Some PSU fans thought the world might end

I'm in favor. The player seem to have baught in. When was the last time the UMN football program was having positive media attention?

#RTB

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Penn St also put names on the back of the Jerseys in 2012...and took them off again in 2015. Tradition has its place.

Those uni's were ok. Would like to see a little more maroon on them, but they were a nice change.
Maybe wear the Anthracite top with maroon pants and the Gold helmet or the maroon helmet and Gold pants.

I actually think the Maroon clashes pretty badly with the anthracite. Not a fan. It they do have this as a special uni, go all the way...no Maroon, no Gold.

Because I don't ever post negative **** about him means I worship him? Should I be more like you where you only post negative stuff about him?

What negative thing has he done? Should I be mad players got the highest GPA in program history under him? Should I be mad he put RTB on the helmets? Should I be mad he elevated recruiting? Should I be mad Anthacrite will be worn this year? Should I be mad there's a ESPN show about him? Should I hate the oars?

I didn't like how he took York and Norton over Ezeudu. Does that make you feel better? Of course you probably have no idea what this means.

FIFY.

Top Bottom