"Row the Boat" Added to the Gold Helmet

What's his hope?

That we have a nationally relevant coach? That's not hope; it's reality.
That he brings national attention to the program? Again, that's not a hope. It's reality.
Relevant? Hardly. Most other programs think he's a carnival act. When he wins he'll be relevant. Until then there is only national curiosity generated by media hype.

I'm not a fan of RTB on the uniforms. This is a Fleck slogan. Not a U of M slogan. It does not belong there. And if you believe 3 words on a jersey are the difference between winning a Big Ten championship and not, I'm surprised you were able to generate a user name and password to access this message board.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said

This argument can go both ways. Its just 3 words on a jersey, why are some getting so upset over it? I'm not a big fan, but don't think it's a big deal either way.

Spoof - I hate to say this, but I think we should just give up. The University of Minnesota Football team is now the PJ Fleck Football team. If people are happy with that, fine. I'm not happy with it, but there's nothing I can do about it. And I am very seriously considering just giving up on Gopher FB - and on this website. I don't want to hang around someplace where I'm not welcome, and I am definitely not welcome at this board anymore. The Flecksters have won. You and I should just get out of the way and let them revel in their victory. Maybe it will turn out the way they want, and they will have many happy years cheering for Fleck and the Gophers - and I mean it in that order - Fleck 1st and the Gophers 2nd. Then again, maybe it won't turn out the way they want. Only time will tell. hell, maybe I'll have another heart attack, die, and I won't be around to see what happens. that probably would not bother some of the people on this board.

Sorry but I can't stand when people label others as Flecksters, apologists, haters, etc. People are excited about our new coach and disagree with you. Why does that make someone a Fleckster?

The only difference between Row The Boat & Ski U Mah is time. One was taken from another University and the other was taken from Native Americans. Time is infinite. "Ski U Mah" should never be forgotten as it represents a brief moment in history when the Gophers were great. If Row The Boat represents the next great era...so be it. The passage of time/success will dictate the staying power of Row The Boat...it's pointless to hate it or blindly embrace it. I hate to say it, but the 1930s-1960s are only going to get more and more irrelevant as we go forward on our cosmic journey. Why not try something new? Wacker, Mason, Brewster, Kill, and Claeys were unable to elevate us to where we were...would it be so bad if Fleck succeeded and "Row The Boat" came with him?

It's just a slogan - so I really don't care either way but what are we holding on to? For us that were born after 1970 is "Ski U Mah" really all that? If you were given the choice of "Ski U Mah" and maintaining our position of little sister or "Row The Boat" and relevance what would you choose? Is "Ski U Mah" bigger than the program?

I'm not a fan of RTB on the uniforms. This is a Fleck slogan. Not a U of M slogan. It does not belong there. And if you believe 3 words on a jersey are the difference between winning a Big Ten championship and not, I'm surprised you were able to generate a user name and password to access this message board.

No one believes the three words on a jersey make a difference between winning and losing. The three words whether they're on the uniform or not shouldn't even be an issue.

The only difference between Row The Boat & Ski U Mah is time. One was taken from another University and the other was taken from Native Americans. Time is infinite. "Ski U Mah" should never be forgotten as it represents a brief moment in history when the Gophers were great. If Row The Boat represents the next great era...so be it. The passage of time/success will dictate the staying power of Row The Boat...it's pointless to hate it or blindly embrace it. I hate to say it, but the 1930s-1960s are only going to get more and more irrelevant as we go forward on our cosmic journey. Why not try something new? Wacker, Mason, Brewster, Kill, and Claeys were unable to elevate us to where we were...would it be so bad if Fleck succeeded and "Row The Boat" came with him?

It's just a slogan - so I really don't care either way but what are we holding on to? For us that were born after 1970 is "Ski U Mah" really all that? If you were given the choice of "Ski U Mah" and maintaining our position of little sister or "Row The Boat" and relevance what would you choose? Is "Ski U Mah" bigger than the program?

Exactly. This thread is such an oxymoron. Some here want championships but not if it means letting go of what it has been.

No one believes the three words on a jersey make a difference between winning and losing. The three words whether they're on the uniform or not shouldn't even be an issue.

Then revert back to point #1. It does not belong on our uniforms as it is a Fleck slogan. Not a U of M slogan.

"Row the Boat" Added to the Gold Helmet

Then revert back to point #1. It does not belong on our uniforms as it is a Fleck slogan. Not a U of M slogan.

Fleck is the HC of football team at the U of M. So it's now the slogan for his football team and the U of M is all in on it.

It shouldn't even be an issue.

Fleck is the HC of football team at the U of M. So it's now the slogan for his football team and it appears the U of M is on board with it.

It shouldn't even be an issue.

You are wrong. He owns it. It is his. Name one slogan used by the football team in past years that was not fully in control of the university.

You are wrong. He owns it. It is his. Name one slogan used by the football team in past years that was not fully in control of the university.

So what if he owns it. RTB is here and the U is just fine with it. There will be plenty of opportunities for people to lose their minds when Fleck loses his first game as HC. No need for it over this.

Look up the trademark. It is not listed under the owner name "PJ Fleck"

So what if he owns it. RTB is here and the U is just fine with it. There will be plenty of reasons for people to lose their minds when Fleck loses his first game as HC. No need for it over this.

I'm not losing my mind over it. I simply don't believe it should be on the uniforms. My opinion. So while PJ is here we get to be the RTB team. Until he decides to leave and someone else gets to be the RTB team. After that, we can be the Keep On Truckin' team. Then the Mow The Grass team. It's just silly to me to go down this path where it's so prominently part of the uniform. Is it going to stop me from watching them? Do I dislike PJ for it? No way. I just think it's silly. And also will not win or lose us a single game.

"Eat em up! Beat 'em up. Shove it up their end zone." That was the cheer used by the Greatest Generation of grid iron Gophers. It was immortalized in the lyrics of our musical lexicon. We can and will add to the history of the program with Row the (damned) boat.

And, yes, shove it up their end zone!

No one?

This thread is crazy to me. We have been irrelevant for 50 years and we finally get a nationally relevant coach who brings national attention to our program, who by the way on all accounts is the real deal. And posters are saying it's a disgrace to our brand because <b>coach wants our uniforms to reflect what matters to the recruits to make our long dead program relevant to the players that will help choose us to get us over the top. </b>Screw tradition because there is little of it left, let's win tiles.

"Eat em up! Beat 'em up. Shove it up their end zone." That was the cheer used by the Greatest Generation of grid iron Gophers. It was immortalized in the lyrics of our musical lexicon. We can and will add to the history of the program with Row the (damned) boat.

And, yes, shove it up their end zone!

Hey, let's put that on the helmet also!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. This thread is such an oxymoron. Some here want championships but not if it means letting go of what it has been.

Not wanting some corny slogan spelled out on the uniforms is not an example of not letting go of what it has been.

Yet many complain about the idea of switching sidelines - something that could actually impact a game. Some want championships, but not if it means having to see the band upside down.

BottomLine: This is a message board. People give their opinions. Some hate RTB being on the helmet. Others should. That doesn't mean anyone wants the Gophers to lose or PJF to fail or not win championships or whatever other nonsense someone wants to draw from not liking the uniform tweaks or having a stronger tie to past tradition.

Sorry but I can't stand when people label others as Flecksters, apologists, haters, etc. People are excited about our new coach and disagree with you. Why does that make someone a Fleckster?

If you think disagreeing with SON is the only reason a few on here are labeled Flecksters, you need to pay better attention.

This argument can go both ways. Its just 3 words on a jersey, why are some getting so upset over it? I'm not a big fan, but don't think it's a big deal either way.

Ok, great idea. So we should also let the current US president just put his slogan on the US flag. That will surely make more people want to be Americans. We can replace all of the "Yes We Can" flags with the "Make America Great Again" flags. They should have refreshed all of the "Change We Can Believe In" flags by now. I now that analogy is a bit of a stretch, but hey we have a new president and let him have what he wants, who cares.... The point is there are some limits. The U has been here long before the current coach and will be here long after the current coach.
Now let's go win the B1G title with all the motivational slogan towels, shirts, poster, etc that the coach wants, but have them wear uniforms that respect the University of Minnesota!

Ok, great idea. So we should also let the current US president just put his slogan on the US flag. That will surely make more people want to be Americans. We can replace all of the "Yes We Can" flags with the "Make America Great Again" flags. They should have refreshed all of the "Change We Can Believe In" flags by now. I now that analogy is a bit of a stretch, but hey we have a new president and let him have what he wants, who cares.... The point is there are some limits. The U has been here long before the current coach and will be here long after the current coach.
Now let's go win the B1G title with all the motivational slogan towels, shirts, poster, etc that the coach wants, but have them wear uniforms that respect the University of Minnesota!

Now you're comparing the american flag to Gopher football uniforms....

Speaking of the flag, Kill turned the block M into an american flag, did you have a problem with that too?

Ski u mah is in the rouser - the school song - so yes it is much bigger than the football program.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

&quot;Row the Boat&quot; Added to the Gold Helmet

BottomLine: This is a message board. People give their opinions. Some hate RTB being on the helmet. Others should. That doesn't mean anyone wants the Gophers to lose or PJF to fail or not win championships or whatever other nonsense someone wants to draw from not liking the uniform tweaks or having a stronger tie to past tradition.

Your assertion that just because some people hate RTB on the helmet others should sounds more like a statement of fact than an opinion.

Your assertion that just because some people hate RTB on the helmet others should sounds more like a statement of fact than an opinion.

Or a joke.

This thread is crazy to me. We have been irrelevant for 50 years and we finally get a nationally relevant coach who brings national attention to our program, who by the way on all accounts is the real deal. And posters are saying it's a disgrace to our brand because coach wants our uniforms to reflect what matters to the recruits to make our long dead program relevant to the players that will help choose us to get us over the top. Screw tradition because there is little of it left, let's win tiles.

It's really kinda telling how much you can in some cases... just ignore what the backwater fans have to say if you're really shooting to take the program somewhere new.

I shouldn't do this, but what the bleep:

one more time I will try to explain how I feel. I just don't like Fleck. It's not based on any one thing. It's certainly not based on three words on a helmet. I just don't like the guy.

Haven't any of you ever met someone, and you just didn't like them? Could be a variety of reasons why.

With Fleck, it's a combination of everything - the hyper personality, the slogans, all of it. he just rubs me the wrong way.

And here's the thing - I am a huge Golden Gopher Football Fan. I love Gopher Football. I want to see the team and the program succeed. but now, I am facing the reality that a program I love is being led by a person who just turns me off. That is a huge conflict for me. I want to like the Gopher Coach, and generally I have. When I have had issues with prior coaches, it was over coaching decisions - offensive and defensive schemes, etc. It was football-based, not personality-based.

That's where I'm at. I'm being as honest as I can.

And I honestly don't know what I'm going to do this fall. I am seriously thinking about not watching the games. That is how much Fleck turns me off - that I would not watch a Gopher Game.

If this makes no sense to any of you, so be it. I'm not sure it makes sense to me. it's just how I feel. I just can't stand the guy.

I shouldn't do this, but what the bleep:

one more time I will try to explain how I feel. I just don't like Fleck. It's not based on any one thing. It's certainly not based on three words on a helmet. I just don't like the guy.

Haven't any of you ever met someone, and you just didn't like them? Could be a variety of reasons why.

With Fleck, it's a combination of everything - the hyper personality, the slogans, all of it. he just rubs me the wrong way.

And here's the thing - I am a huge Golden Gopher Football Fan. I love Gopher Football. I want to see the team and the program succeed. but now, I am facing the reality that a program I love is being led by a person who just turns me off. That is a huge conflict for me. I want to like the Gopher Coach, and generally I have. When I have had issues with prior coaches, it was over coaching decisions - offensive and defensive schemes, etc. It was football-based, not personality-based.

That's where I'm at. I'm being as honest as I can.

And I honestly don't know what I'm going to do this fall. I am seriously thinking about not watching the games. That is how much Fleck turns me off - that I would not watch a Gopher Game.

If this makes no sense to any of you, so be it. I'm not sure it makes sense to me. it's just how I feel. I just can't stand the guy.

Thank you for admitting this. I wish others would do the same.

Top Bottom