"Row the Boat" Added to the Gold Helmet

I shouldn't do this, but what the bleep:

one more time I will try to explain how I feel. I just don't like Fleck. It's not based on any one thing. It's certainly not based on three words on a helmet. I just don't like the guy.

Haven't any of you ever met someone, and you just didn't like them? Could be a variety of reasons why.

With Fleck, it's a combination of everything - the hyper personality, the slogans, all of it. he just rubs me the wrong way.

And here's the thing - I am a huge Golden Gopher Football Fan. I love Gopher Football. I want to see the team and the program succeed. but now, I am facing the reality that a program I love is being led by a person who just turns me off. That is a huge conflict for me. I want to like the Gopher Coach, and generally I have. When I have had issues with prior coaches, it was over coaching decisions - offensive and defensive schemes, etc. It was football-based, not personality-based.

That's where I'm at. I'm being as honest as I can.

And I honestly don't know what I'm going to do this fall. I am seriously thinking about not watching the games. That is how much Fleck turns me off - that I would not watch a Gopher Game.

If this makes no sense to any of you, so be it. I'm not sure it makes sense to me. it's just how I feel. I just can't stand the guy.

Sincere question for SON and others. Has anyone actually met PJ in person and talked with him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is silly and embarrassing. Fleck can have his personal branding if he wishes to motivate himself and others, but changing our uniforms to include his branding is ridiculous.

one more time I will try to explain how I feel. I just don't like Fleck. It's not based on any one thing. It's certainly not based on three words on a helmet. I just don't like the guy.

Haven't any of you ever met someone, and you just didn't like them? Could be a variety of reasons why.

With Fleck, it's a combination of everything - the hyper personality, the slogans, all of it. he just rubs me the wrong way.

And here's the thing - I am a huge Golden Gopher Football Fan. I love Gopher Football. I want to see the team and the program succeed. but now, I am facing the reality that a program I love is being led by a person who just turns me off. That is a huge conflict for me. I want to like the Gopher Coach, and generally I have. When I have had issues with prior coaches, it was over coaching decisions - offensive and defensive schemes, etc. It was football-based, not personality-based.

And I honestly don't know what I'm going to do this fall. I am seriously thinking about not watching the games. That is how much Fleck turns me off - that I would not watch a Gopher Game.

If this makes no sense to any of you, so be it. I'm not sure it makes sense to me. it's just how I feel. I just can't stand the guy.

I disagree with your take on him, but greatly respect this post. If that's where you're at, that's where you're at.

Honest question to all you who think it is no big deal to have his slogan on the helmet and oars on the uni's?
What other P5 team does that? Has a slogan from the coach put on the helmet or uni.

Oh, it makes sense. You're entitled yo your opinion. The bold is your only solution. If you don't like him that much. Don't watch. Pretty simple.

Honest question to all you who think it is no big deal to have his slogan on the helmet and oars on the uni's?
What other P5 team does that? Has a slogan from the coach put on the helmet or uni.

Minnesota last year.

The answer I would have to your question is "who gives a sh!t?" I don't care what any other P5 team does as I am a U of M alum and cheer for the Gophers. That includes whatever Coach Fleck decides to do with the team/unis/equipment/etc. This is what we are paying the guy $3.5M+/year to do. He's obviously been very successful at his first stop. How about we let him do his job how he see's fit.

Again how is it any different than Brick by Brick? Because it may have a loose affiliation with a past stadium? That slogan didn't exist before Kill/Claeys and doesn't exist after. It was created by Kill, not the University and it was on our uniforms.

Here are the '7 bricks' and how they pertain to Gopher football: http://brickbybrick.football/

It's very similar to RTB.

Our helmets used to have Brick by Brick on them and that was definitely a Jerry Kill marketing thing.

GettyImages-502742450.0.jpg

Northwestern puts "W.I.N." or "What's Important Now" on the front of their helmets which is a Pat Fitzgerald thing.

Front-Corner.jpg

Anchor Down is a Bobby Johnson 2005 invention that has stuck around at Vanderbilt and been incorporated into their uniforms.

1409345243000-USATSI-8053606.jpg

Bronco Mendenhall brought "Band of Brothers" to BYU in 2006 and they incorporated it onto their helmets:

image.axd

Although not on the outside of their uniforms (that I can tell, Oregon has about 300 combos), the Ducks have plastered "Win the Day" or "WTD" all over everything in the past. It was brought as a team slogan by former coach Chip Kelly and retired after last year.

s-l1000.jpg

the-university-of-oregon-ducks-plays-oregon-state-university-beavers-at-autzen-stadium-419ffc4914b8ad73_crop_north.jpg

There are a ton of other examples. This is such a non issue.

The answer I would have to your question is "who gives a sh!t?" I don't care what any other P5 team does as I am a U of M alum and cheer for the Gophers. That includes whatever Coach Fleck decides to do with the team/unis/equipment/etc. This is what we are paying the guy $3.5M+/year to do. He's obviously been very successful at his first stop. How about we let him do his job how he see's fit.

Glad you don't care. Some of us do. He is not bigger than the university, but by allowing him to brand EVERYTHING within the football program with his already been used slogan it kind of feels that way. Yes he is the face of the football team. There is a fine line to being the face of the team and being bigger than the program or university and he is crossing it. That's my opinion, you don't have to agree, but I also don't have to agree with you.
We gave him $3.5 million a year to win games and run a respectable program. He hasn't had a chance at the first yet, but so far has done a great job with the second. I also, think he can win here, just don't see the need to cheapen a really good uni/helmet look with all the RTB stuff. Put it on the back like BbB and call it good.

Those of you who answered with come pictures of other teams that have done that, thanks, other than Brick by Brick, I really didn't know.
The examples that were used of Northwestern, Vanderbilt and BYU, don't bring me great comfort as none of those programs have been able to rise up from years of no titles by putting slogans on their gear.

The examples that were used of Northwestern, Vanderbilt and BYU, don't bring me great comfort as none of those programs have been able to rise up from years of no titles by putting slogans on their gear.

That's because that almost never happens in college football. As much as we like to admit that there's parity, the teams that are great now are the same teams that were great 30 years ago. On occasion you have a team that hits the jackpot (Oregon in the 2000s, Wisconsin in the 1990s, Kansas State when they've had Bill Snyder) and can shift from one tier to another but generally it doesn't happen. A slogan or a motto on a shirt or helmet isn't going to make it happen on its own either, but it's also not some crazy off-the-wall thing that we should tear our hair out over or claim it's ruining our program. It's just a ... thing. Fairly commonplace, probably won't move the needle much on its own.

If Fleck wins, wins big, and stays because we happen to hit the jackpot, RTB could be our very own Play Like a Champion Today. If he doesn't, it goes away and the next coach gets his thing.

Obviously a lot of people do. Your opinion counts the exact same as everyone else. No more, no less.

Florida State had the word UNCONQUERED rather largely up the sides of their football pants (much, much, much larger that what RTB will be on our helmets, but I digress) in the mid-to-late 2000's I believe that I specifically remember. (I found a picture on Google but can't get it to link properly) They have won a title since then.

Florida State had the word UNCONQUERED rather largely up the sides of their football pants (much, much, much larger that what RTB will be on our helmets, but I digress) in the mid-to-late 2000's I believe that I specifically remember. (I found a picture on Google but can't get it to link properly) They have won a title since then.

Good call. It really destroyed their program, shame they haven't done anything since those dark days.

707401.jpeg

Define "a lot".

How am I suppose to define that? There is no possible way to know for sure.

There is nothing wrong with discussing things we like about Fleck and things we don't. To most of Johnny, he is a football coach and we are rooting for him. But he is not an infallible God like figure that you demand him to be treated like on this board. Good grief.

Is this topic really worth 18 pages? No.

It's just serving as a proxy war for people that like Fleck's style and/or don't care, and people that are adamantly opposed or put off by it. I can't wait until they actually start playing games so we have something other than slogans and marketing to talk about.

There is nothing wrong with discussing things we like about Fleck and things we don't. To most of Johnny, he is a football coach and we are rooting for him. But he is not an infallible God like figure that you demand him to be treated like on this board. Good grief.

No, I just want you to realize that 10s of posters on a message board isn't "a lot". Clearly some aren't rooting for him and are rooting for him to fail. I just want you all to admit it and not act like this is some monumental thing never done before in college football.

No, I just want you to realize that 10s of posters on a message board isn't "a lot". Clearly some aren't rooting for him and are rooting for him to fail. I just want you all to admit it and not act like this is some monumental thing never done before in college football.

Worship

It's just serving as a proxy war for people that like Fleck's style and/or don't care, and people that are adamantly opposed or put off by it. I can't wait until they actually start playing games so we have something other than slogans and marketing to talk about.

+1
That time is coming quickly!

Well the same exact could be said that we know that 10's of posters don't care about this. I don't have evidence that "a lot" people care about this and you don't have evidence that "a lot" of people don't.

The only problem I have with this is that it is seems to be his thing. Motto's and phrases to rally around are common in sports, but they aren't usually tied to the individual coach in the way this phrase is. But either way, in the end it will be remembered based on our success. If we fall flat, it will exist in infamy with getting your chili hot. I hope it doesn't.

Will be so glad when games start and we can debate something that matters

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is puzzling that some can see no flaws in PJ. They are convinced anyone who says anything negative toward PJ must want him to fail. What other explanation could there be?

You think the Gophers will do well this year? You want failure.
You don't like uniform changes? Hater.
You don't see a difference between Happiness and Joy? You want failure.
Hanging an oar in Subway doesn't excite you? Must be a Badger fan.
Sick of hearing culture. Must be mad Claeys was fired.

Anything short of a PJ FatHead on your wall and you just won't admit you want him to fail. I have asked more than once on here to show me a regular poster on this site that wants the Gophers to fail and am yet to have one shown to me. SON is a perfect example - he doesn't like PJ, but does anyone think he wants the Gophers to fail? Ridiculous. Why is one required to love the coach and everything he does?

There are more than just the few some on here would like to believe that don't like PJ's style. That is why the mods had to remove an entire thread on here when too many started agreeing on things they didn't like.

I'm not going to stop watching the guys but I understand where you're coming from. It's possible to be too energetic and positive to the point of caricature. Think of the "case of the mondays" woman from Office Space. Some of us prefer people that are a little more relatable. Think of the interview Nadine did with Sawvel-felt so much more genuine and authentic to me. You know he has his players backs. I'm not sure about Fleck yet. He is a ladder climber and that means he may do the politically expedient thing... I have listened to all the interviews with Fleck and he's like a doll with a string out the back. Same stuff, over and over. He says it very well, with verve and his pregame speeches will be excellent. He recruits well, the kids like it, so I'm in. Doesn't mean I think he's MY cup of tea but I don't hate him either. Overall positive, if he can deliver on the scoreboard.

A very good summary of this thread.
Same argument hidden behind a new topic.

Top Bottom