"Row the Boat" Added to the Gold Helmet

Won what? RTB is here to stay as long as Fleck is here regardless of what anyone says. It will be used wherever Fleck want's to use it with the University's permission. Get used to it and get over it. You're getting worked up over 3 tiny words on a helmet.

I know you and most this board are older and change is difficult to grasp. But the incessant pouting by some of the people your age is just sad.

Do you find your incessant pouting sad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you find your incessant pouting sad?

If I did it, I would. Sad lives some of you must live to get worked up about 3 words on a helmet for a team that hasn't won jack sh*t in 50 years.

I think some of you are scared Fleck will actually be successful and then you'll have nothing to complain about.

<b>If I did it, I would. </b>Sad lives some of you must live to get worked up about 3 words on a helmet for a team that hasn't won jack sh*t in 50 years.

I think some of you are scared Fleck will actually be successful and then you'll have nothing to complain about.

Great, more of this "you want him to fail" talk.
The main difference about my complaining and your complaining on this board is that I realize that I do it and readily admit that. The fact you don't see that you do is both amusing and scary. Read your posts in this thread alone and tell me you don't b**ch as much as us "old" people - just about different things. Get a clue and some self awareness GWG.

Won what? RTB is here to stay as long as Fleck is here regardless of what anyone says. It will be used wherever Fleck want's to use it with the University's permission. Get used to it and get over it. You're getting worked up over 3 tiny words on a helmet.

I know you and most this board are older and change is difficult to grasp. But the incessant pouting by some of the people your age is just sad.

What is it about RTB that you like so much? Is it that people your age find comfort from a nursery rhyme?

Spoof - I hate to say this, but I think we should just give up. The University of Minnesota Football team is now the PJ Fleck Football team. If people are happy with that, fine. I'm not happy with it, but there's nothing I can do about it. And I am very seriously considering just giving up on Gopher FB - and on this website. I don't want to hang around someplace where I'm not welcome, and I am definitely not welcome at this board anymore. The Flecksters have won. You and I should just get out of the way and let them revel in their victory. Maybe it will turn out the way they want, and they will have many happy years cheering for Fleck and the Gophers - and I mean it in that order - Fleck 1st and the Gophers 2nd. Then again, maybe it won't turn out the way they want. Only time will tell. hell, maybe I'll have another heart attack, die, and I won't be around to see what happens. that probably would not bother some of the people on this board.

See ya, maybe now you'll admit you want him to fail.

Because once again programs are nothing until they bring in a program changing coach. Wisconsin was garbage until Alvarez came in, Ferentz has changed Iowa, etc. Just more examples of those coaches bringing those programs into the spotlight. It's not the other way around.

You and a few others get upset because RTB isn't tradition. The only tradition we've had for the last 50 years is losing, and now PJ has a chance to be our program changing coach. He feels RTB is a part of that and I could care less if he puts it on helmets, or jerseys, or wherever.

Hayden Fry gave Iowa a whole new look and had ANF put on the helmets. I realize that has more to do with the state of Iowa, but it also helped unify the school and give it a new identity. Like some others have said, if the Axe & Floyd & the B1G championship game are in our future, let's run with it.

Great, more of this "you want him to fail" talk.
The main difference about my complaining and your complaining on this board is that I realize that I do it and readily admit that. The fact you don't see that you do is both amusing and scary. Read your posts in this thread alone and tell me you don't b**ch as much as us "old" people - just about different things. Get a clue and some self awareness GWG.

Where did I say anything about you or anyone else wanting him to fail? Have I complained on this board before? Yes, and I back up most of my thoughts with stats and facts on why I believe those complaints are valid. I don't pout like a petulant child like some people on this board who are much older than me do. Especially about a few words on a helmet.

What is it about RTB that you like so much? Is it that people your age find comfort from a nursery rhyme?

I don't necessarily like it or hate it. It's a part of PJ, and what he brings to the school. I think he has a chance to win at levels here that haven't been seen since my parents were babies.

The coaches run the program and they should be allowed to do whatever they feel is right for their program. It does not affect me as a fan whatsoever and neither did brick by brick.

I think I'm probably in the VERY high (silent) majority that don't get too riled up either way on this. Every coach puts their own stamp on a program, PJ just does it in a different (and flashier) way. This is his team to lead. If he fails, the responsibility will fall directly on his shoulders. He's believes that his slogans will have a positive impact on this program. For that reason, they will continue to pop up all over this program. That's tweets, tickets, posters, game day programs, shirts, helmets, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see if on the sideline/field somewhere. This is the coach we hired. It's time to quit bitching at each other, and just sit back and enjoy the ride. That's what sports are here for after all- to enjoy.

SON, don't let a few posters get to you. If anything, just take a break from these types of threads for a while. I've been far more distant from message boards in the past few months, and just came back around a bit lately to get camp updates and the like. I've found that approach far more pleasurable. :)

I'm not a fan of RTB on the uniforms. This is a Fleck slogan. Not a U of M slogan. It does not belong there. And if you believe 3 words on a jersey are the difference between winning a Big Ten championship and not, I'm surprised you were able to generate a user name and password to access this message board.

You can't reason with unreasonable people.
You can't find logic in illogical situations.
Some see things clearly, others see what they want to see.
I like PJF as our coach, a lot, but not other things about his style. To me this is reasonable and logical. To the unreasonable and illogical it isn't because they only see what they want to.
I'm a fan of your posts SON and hope you keep posting. However, I'm the worst poster this site has had in 15-years, so take that for what it's worth. Go Gophers!

I don't think you're the worst poster here. I just vehemently disagree with your opinion on all things related to Gopher Jerseys/equipment. Agree with you on quite a few other things not related to this topic.

I don't think you're the worst poster here. <b>I just vehemently disagree with your opinion on all things related to Gopher Jerseys/equipment. </b>Agree with you on quite a few other things not related to this topic.

The bolded part made me laugh. Never thought of myself as having a hard stance on Gopher Jerseys/Equipment - but in reviewing this thread that might be hard to dispute. Kinda silly when you put it like that. Oh well, it is what it is.

I kind of liked the Brick by Brick mantra on the helmet.... It was fairly subdued, and I liked the little brick stickers as rewards as well....

Rowing the boat is the new mantra with the new regime..... I'd like to see it a little more subdued on the helmet though. There is something to be said for traditional appearance...at least in my book.. But no biggie. I'm on for the ride.... Tickets were on my porch yesterday... Hope I didn't miss the coach.

KAcUVdq.gif

The bolded part made me laugh. Never thought of myself as having a hard stance on Gopher Jerseys/Equipment - but in reviewing this thread that might be hard to dispute. Kinda silly when you put it like that. Oh well, it is what it is.

That is OK. Everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of how foolish we think each others opinions are. We hired PJ to run the program how he's sees fit because he's been successful elsewhere doing just that. This, more likely than not, includes all of his incorporation of RTB/Oars everywhere. The University chose to make this bed. Might as well get used to it.

It still surprises me that people are willing to quit watching a program or get so upset over something so trivial IMO. He's not changing the name of the school, mascot, the words to the rouser, school colors or the long list of other Game day traditions that we have. Simply adding to a helmet (much more to come, I'm sure), arguable or not, a slogan or mantra which seems to come from a place that means a lot to him personally (IE Memory of his son) and people act like they still believe in Santa and PJ is here to tell them he isn't real. It all seems to be way to much to get worked up over. If he doesn't succeed, it'll be gone. If he does, it could still be gone some point down the road. I just don't get the anger.

Long story short, neither of us will probably ever agree on this one Spoof.

I care about uniforms and i know it is silly so i try to acknowledge it. However even the basketball teams i coach in first/second grade i try to make sure i have the kids wearing the home color instead of the reversible white :).

I am getting older and I still prefer the Ducks to the Nittany Lions :).

I have followed gopher football for about 35 years and never once did anyone utter the phrase brick by brick. Yes Memorial stadium was made of bricks but so are many other stadiums. Brick by brick is a slogan concocted by Kill as a way to simply explain what his program is about. A catchphrase to inspire players and fans that there is a brighter future ahead as long we keep building brick by brick. The same goes for row the boat. Remember way back in like 1990 when a Notre Dame assistant coach took over a Big Ten school down on its luck and changed the logo on the helmets? There was no web back then to air ones grievances but imagine what some of those folks thought. Sadly they could only write angry letters or complain while sitting on a bar stool so their opinions are not as easily accessible and in many cases lost. Oh how lucky we are to live in an age where our half baked ideas and opinions can be saved and made accessible for the many historians and anthropologists of the future who will what know what the people of this time thought about row the boat. Fleck is the coach and he gets to do it his way until he leaves or we give him the boot. Every coach through here has changed the uniforms for better or for worse. Are a few row the boats and oars something to endlessly complain about?

Many of us have been fans longer than 35 years. I don't recall any helmet logo change under holt that didn't relate the U. (You will have to show your work on that one.). There has been several subtle changes to the logos over time.
So if the coach had some new promotional program based upon "Achieving Gold" or "Howpher" or such, you would still think it was randomly selected and not be based upon any part of the U?
It is PJ's program and he can make numerous changes, but there are limits. This has nothing to do with the internet.

Not sure if this was answered, but gophermeister wasn't talking about Holtz. Barry Alverez, the former Notre Dame DC, was the big reason for changing the Wisconsin uniforms.

How is it borrowed from a MAC school? It didn't exist at Western Michigan before Fleck. It's Fleck's slogan, and he's now at the University of Minnesota.

It was all over Western Michigan's uniforms and stadium. But you say it's Fleck's. Meanwhile, we have a thread full of posters arguing that there's nothing wrong with starting a new tradition at Minnesota.

Which is it? Is it Fleck's slogan that will leave with him or is it the start of a new Minnesota tradition that we stole from WMU?

Spoof - I hate to say this, but I think we should just give up. The University of Minnesota Football team is now the PJ Fleck Football team. If people are happy with that, fine. I'm not happy with it, but there's nothing I can do about it. And I am very seriously considering just giving up on Gopher FB - and on this website. I don't want to hang around someplace where I'm not welcome, and I am definitely not welcome at this board anymore. The Flecksters have won. You and I should just get out of the way and let them revel in their victory. Maybe it will turn out the way they want, and they will have many happy years cheering for Fleck and the Gophers - and I mean it in that order - Fleck 1st and the Gophers 2nd. Then again, maybe it won't turn out the way they want. Only time will tell. hell, maybe I'll have another heart attack, die, and I won't be around to see what happens. that probably would not bother some of the people on this board.

Of course your opinions are welcome, SON.

But...
1) Chances are, the opinions of other posters are just as meaningful and reasonable as yours.
2) Posters like things. If you post negative stuff about those things, you will get replies.
3) If you post complaints and ultimatums because of those replies, you will get further replies.
4) Opposing opinions do not = cheering for your demise.

This thread is crazy to me. We have been irrelevant for 50 years and we finally get a nationally relevant coach who brings national attention to our program, who by the way on all accounts is the real deal. And posters are saying it's a disgrace to our brand because coach wants our uniforms to reflect what matters to the recruits to make our long dead program relevant to the players that will help choose us to get us over the top. Screw tradition because there is little of it left, let's win tiles.

This thread is crazy to me. We have been irrelevant for 50 years and we finally get a nationally relevant coach who brings national attention to our program, who by the way on all accounts is the real deal. And posters are saying it's a disgrace to our brand because coach wants our uniforms to reflect what matters to the recruits to make our long dead program relevant to the players that will help choose us to get us over the top. Screw tradition because there is little of it left, let's win tiles.
This is your hope. At this point Fleck is zero and zero in the record books. If Fleck becomes less as the team becomes greater, I will be thankful. If Fleck pimps himself with no regard for the integrity of the University then his success is tainted by his narcissism.

+1

This is your hope. At this point Fleck is zero and zero in the record books.

What's his hope?

That we have a nationally relevant coach? That's not hope; it's reality.
That he brings national attention to the program? Again, that's not a hope. It's reality.

It was all over Western Michigan's uniforms and stadium. But you say it's Fleck's. Meanwhile, we have a thread full of posters arguing that there's nothing wrong with starting a new tradition at Minnesota.

Which is it? Is it Fleck's slogan that will leave with him or is it the start of a new Minnesota tradition that we stole from WMU?

Why can't it be both? Yes it belongs to Fleck, and now they are both a part of the University of Minnesota. Why do you and others automatically push him out the door before he even coaches one game? He'll have everything he needs to win here at the highest level, and Fleck is from the Midwest. It's an apples and oranges comparison to Western Michigan.

Maybe we'll be rowing the boat under Fleck to multiple B1G championships over the next 20 years. Then maybe Fleck will decide his next challenge is as an AD, similar to Alvarez.

We've only had one coach ever leave for a better job, so I'm not going to waste one second thinking about what will happen to RTB if Fleck leaves. If it happens, it'll be due to a high level of success. I'll wait and cross that bridge IF we ever get there.

Top Bottom