"Row the Boat" Added to the Gold Helmet

Even if you want to believe "Brick by Brick" is equally as irrelevant to Gopher Football as "Row The Boat" (which is silly to believe), can we all agree that Kill didn't use BbB as the stamp of NIU Football the very year before he tried to force it in as the stamp of Gopher Football.

Maybe, just maybe, RTB gets more pushback because it is associated with a different school and is more about the coach than the team. Neither of those things can be claimed about BbB.

#HYPRR #FAMILY #ELITE #JOY #RTB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely Hate It!
PJ, with all due respect, you can use your "row the whatever" slogan as much as you want, but leave it off the uniform! I am a big supporter of PJ and hope he has a long and successful career here at the U. But placing his RTB slogan on everything seems to smell of self promotion. Ski-U-mah has a long tradition that is unique to the U. People can say whatever they want about the old brick by brick, but it does naturally tie in with the old Brick house and the brick house theme that was built into the new stadium.
Putting RTB crap on the uniforms is like putting a "play hard" or "all for one" kind of slogan on the helmets. Stupid, and disrespectful to the legacy of a B1G school!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even if you want to believe "Brick by Brick" is equally as irrelevant to Gopher Football as "Row The Boat" (which is silly to believe), can we all agree that Kill didn't use BbB as the stamp of NIU Football the very year before he tried to force it in as the stamp of Gopher Football.

Maybe, just maybe, RTB gets more pushback because it is associated with a different school and is more about the coach than the team. Neither of those things can be claimed about BbB.

Exactly. And Kill didn't have the rights to it while Fleck and his agent have the rights to RTB. Completely different.

Brick by Brick had no tie in to Memorial Stadium. Simply a coincidence.

Maybe, Maybe not. Certainly more relevant to this conversation than debating whether Kill or someone in marketing came up with it.

Brick by Brick is irrelevant to Gopher football. Brick by Brick is gone along with the Kill/Claeys era.

It's all about #HYPRR #FAMILY #ELITE #JOY #RTB now.

7 years from now, who has the better chance of still being at Minnesota? The coach, or the players from the 2017 recruiting class?

Is Alabama or Ohio State football more about this year's senior class or is it more about Nick Saban and Urban Meyer?

If Murray Warmath had a key phrase and it stuck with the program after he left, everyone would think it is cool. If Fleck wins and stays 20 years it will be synonymous with the program. If he fizzles we will move on to the next marketing scheme that works. You don't hire a coach like PJ and only let him coach his program half ways. Doing things halfway is not the way to do things.

I'm not excited about it but it's a core piece of his coaching curriculum so I am better with that then some other phrases.

If Murray Warmath had a key phrase and it stuck with the program after he left, everyone would think it is cool. If Fleck wins and stays 20 years it will be synonymous with the program. If he fizzles we will move on to the next marketing scheme that works. You don't hire a coach like PJ and only let him coach his program half ways. Doing things halfway is not the way to do things.

I'm not excited about it but it's a core piece of his coaching curriculum so I am better with that then some other phrases.

I think everyone here would agree that if Fleck becomes our Ferentz and stays for the long haul then we'd all be completely fine with RTB. The problem is if he leaves, he will bring RTB with him to his new school while taking it from his old school which he already did once. As Spoofin said, Kill never had Brick by Brick at NIU and he also never owned the rights to it unlike Fleck. Brick by Brick was a phrase coined by Kill and his coaches but it never felt like it was more about Kill than the program. With RTB, most people think of Fleck first and gopher football second. Again, if he does end up here for the long haul then I'm completely fine with it but otherwise it's definitely a slippery slope.

7 years from now, who has the better chance of still being at Minnesota? The coach, or the players from the 2017 recruiting class?

Is Alabama or Ohio State football more about this year's senior class or is it more about Nick Saban and Urban Meyer?

I'm not talking about individual players - rather the team. Gopher Football. The tradition, etc. When I think of AL I do not think it is about Nick Saban. I think it is about the traditions and history of those schools. I think of Roll Tide.

Fleck can RTB the helmets but he can't pick which side of the filed his team will be on? Really?

Not a fan of this. But it's also not the apocalypse...

I will agree it seems a bit gimmicky, but I'm going to let Fleck do what he feels he needs to achieve success. I would think Fleck would know he can only repurpose this one more time and for some big schools, it might be a deterrent from hiring him. (Penn St with RTB?)

Meh. Don't care either way. Let's face it. We don't have a calling card as a university like Alabama or thenlike so **** like this happens. Don't really care either way. Just win baby

I'm not talking about individual players - rather the team. Gopher Football. The tradition, etc. When I think of AL I do not think it is about Nick Saban. I think it is about the traditions and history of those schools. I think of Roll Tide.

What tradition does Gopher football currently have? Winning national championships when football was an entirely different game?
When I think of Alabama, or Ohio State or the other traditional powerhouses, I think of the coaches that brought those programs to the top. Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer. Everyone knows those coaches and the national championships they won. Without them those programs are nothing.

Recruits aren't coming to Minnesota because it's Minnesota football. They are coming because of PJ Fleck. Just like they came here because of Jerry Kill, or Glen Mason. In college sports, the coach is the program. I'm not sure why that's difficult for some to understand.

50 years without RTB didn't win us many titles.

What tradition does Gopher football currently have? Winning national championships when football was an entirely different game?
When I think of Alabama, or Ohio State or the other traditional powerhouses, I think of the coaches that brought those programs to the top. Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer. Everyone knows those coaches and the national championships they won. Without them those programs are nothing.

Recruits aren't coming to Minnesota because it's Minnesota football. They are coming because of PJ Fleck. Just like they came here because of Jerry Kill, or Glen Mason. In college sports, the coach is the program. I'm not sure why that's difficult for some to understand.

Who was talking about why recruits go to a school? You asked me what I thought of when I think of AL (well, actually you assumed that I thought of Nick Saban, but potato potato). With that said, your last paragraph is only part of the equation. Kids choose schools for reasons other than coaches as well. I could be named head coach of AL and still pull in a few.

Who was talking about why recruits go to a school? You asked me what I thought of when I think of AL (well, actually you assumed that I thought of Nick Saban, but potato potato). With that said, your last paragraph is only part of the equation. Kids choose schools for reasons other than coaches as well. I could be named head coach of AL and still pull in a few.

Because it's all related to bringing in the talent needed to win at the highest level. Row the Boat is PJ's culture, and it has worked for him in the past. I have no problem with him using it wherever he feels necessary here, and no I don't think it messes with tradition. Most people equate Minnesota football's tradition with losing.

Sure there are other reason's why recruits choose a school, but the coach is the #1 reason for most. Shula is a pretty well known name in coaching, yet Mike Shula was terrible at Alabama. It's far more about the coach than the program.

I think everyone here would agree that if Fleck becomes our Ferentz and stays for the long haul then we'd all be completely fine with RTB. The problem is if he leaves, he will bring RTB with him to his new school while taking it from his old school which he already did once. As Spoofin said, Kill never had Brick by Brick at NIU and he also never owned the rights to it unlike Fleck. Brick by Brick was a phrase coined by Kill and his coaches but it never felt like it was more about Kill than the program. With RTB, most people think of Fleck first and gopher football second. Again, if he does end up here for the long haul then I'm completely fine with it but otherwise it's definitely a slippery slope.

Well stated, +1

It only stays as long as Fleck is a Gopher, which in a weird way makes him bigger than the program. Honestly, it makes me want to puke! Could you imagine and traditional powerhouse school adding this to their helmet? Of course not!

Agree - dumbest thing ever. This is the University of Minnesota football team, not PJF University. I'm fine with him having RTB as a rallying cry, a slogan, but you don't change the uniforms for it.

I can't. But I can imagine a traditional bottom feeder doing it. And that's pretty much where we are.

We have been playing in the Big Ten for over 100 years, with all kinds of tradition. This is something a program moving up to division 1 football does, or moving from a small conference.

Of all the things I could think of for this upcoming CFB year, putting RTB (or whatever motivation) on the uniforms matters to me as much as what design Coke uses for a new can.

Yeah I'm sure 'ol Country Jerry came out and said it had something to do with Memorial Stadium. You mind sending me a link of him talking about it?

He did say that, and no, in not going to take the time to look it up. He talked about the success at the ol' brick house, and that they were going to establish that same success brick by brick - that it was a process.

Do I think it should be part of the uniforms? No. Did it at least make some sense? Yes. And, it was not prominent.

I really wish you were a Badger fan.

It isn't the end of the world, but this is pretty lame.

No issues from me. I hope we beat Wisconsin.

In college sports, the coach is the program. I'm not sure why that's difficult for some to understand.

I was thinking about this statement this morning. The reason some (most) don't "understand" that is that it simply isn't true. You clearly have some obsession with coaches, but a program is SO MUCH BIGGER than the coach. Not sure I have ever heard anyone argue the contrary (until now). I watch a lot of CFB - when I think of teams/programs I think of about 15 things before I think of the current coach. I couldn't even name the coach in many cases. Virtually everyone in the Country will be able to name the MN coach - and that is likely why PJF's style rubs me the wrong way. He is making the coach the program - it simply isn't that way at most schools.

It isn't the end of the world, but this is pretty lame.

Of course it isn't the end of the world, but it is very lame and bush league. Show me one other B1G team that prominently displays a motivational slogan on their uniforms. They may play with some flashy colors or put parts of the state flag, but not the current motivational slogan! Put a fricking RTB sticker if you must, but don't make the helmet a billboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the Gophers are running across the field to grab the axe for the first time in 13 years not one of you are going to give a damn that Row the Boat is on the helmet. Most will likely spray paint the phrase on their garages out of joy.

I was thinking about this statement this morning. The reason some (most) don't "understand" that is that it simply isn't true. You clearly have some obsession with coaches, but a program is SO MUCH BIGGER than the coach. Not sure I have ever heard anyone argue the contrary (until now). I watch a lot of CFB - when I think of teams/programs I think of about 15 things before I think of the current coach. I couldn't even name the coach in many cases. Virtually everyone in the Country will be able to name the MN coach - and that is likely why PJF's style rubs me the wrong way. He is making the coach the program - it simply isn't that way at most schools.

Listen to the recruits when they commit, or are at the school. The majority of the players go to play for the coaches they want to play for. It's written and talked about plenty. They care far more about coaches and different uniforms than a B1G championship 50 years ago.

Top Bottom