"Row the Boat" Added to the Gold Helmet

Of course it isn't the end of the world, but it is very lame and bush league. Show me one other B1G team that prominently displays a motivational slogan on their uniforms. They may play with some flashy colors or put parts of the state flag, but not the current motivational slogan! Put a fricking RTB sticker if you must, but don't make the helmet a billboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not a billboard. It's a stripe that you cant even read unless your zoomed in on the helmet. I don't even know or care the other teams slogans much less if they are displaying them somewhere on uniforms.

Elite slogan. Elite helmets. We will be an elite program again once the culture is changed. This is part of the process.

50 years without RTB didn't win us many titles.

+1.

Apathy.

Apathy is what has killed this program. There was an administration fifty years ago that said "We are an educational institute and not a sports organization" and let the football program, along with the other sports, go into the tank. Unfortunately, they decided to do so just as the the town was in the professional sports incubator stage.

NOBODY CARED....THEY GOT NEW TOYS....Vikings, Twins, North Stars, Kicks, Saints, Pipers..

If plastering RTB anyplace space is available is necessary to get the football program relevant again, then do it. Do it five times over. Do it until every mom, neighbor, coworker and dentist in town knows about it.

When they are Big10 or national champions you can discuss whether RTB is appropriate on the helmets.

Listen to the recruits when they commit, or are at the school. The majority of the players go to play for the coaches they want to play for. It's written and talked about plenty. They care far more about coaches and different uniforms than a B1G championship 50 years ago.

I was talking about your "In College, the coach is the program. I don't know why people can't understand that" statement. I'm not even sure what you are arguing about here. Moving target, as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If nothing else, Fleck has made it very easy for whoever writes headlines at the Strib. I predict we're going to see "Abandon Ship", "Titanic Loss" or, preferably "Smooth Sailing" by the end of the season.

I was talking about your "In College, the coach is the program. I don't know why people can't understand that" statement. I'm not even sure what you are arguing about here. Moving target, as usual.

Because once again programs are nothing until they bring in a program changing coach. Wisconsin was garbage until Alvarez came in, Ferentz has changed Iowa, etc. Just more examples of those coaches bringing those programs into the spotlight. It's not the other way around.

You and a few others get upset because RTB isn't tradition. The only tradition we've had for the last 50 years is losing, and now PJ has a chance to be our program changing coach. He feels RTB is a part of that and I could care less if he puts it on helmets, or jerseys, or wherever.

It sounds like some people may need to speak to a therapist about adding RTB to an alternate helmet. My gosh. Calm down. Wait until next season when there is a full on jersey change probably with Oars and all(which I am totally fine with, BTW). GH may melt down. If you didn't think these things were coming when we hired Coach Fleck I don't feel bad for you. The players and team seem to love the mantra, slogans, Gopher talk etc., isn't that what we should be concerned with? Not that our fragile sensibilities are affected by adding a slogan or oars to a jersey/equipment?

Sure, you can not like it, but jerseys are going to change and have slogans/oars/etc. added to them. So I would recommend getting used to it.

Because once again programs are nothing until they bring in a program changing coach. Wisconsin was garbage until Alvarez came in, Ferentz has changed Iowa, etc. Just more examples of those coaches bringing those programs into the spotlight. It's not the other way around.

You and a few others get upset because RTB isn't tradition. The only tradition we've had for the last 50 years is losing, and now PJ has a chance to be our program changing coach. He feels RTB is a part of that and I could care less if he puts it on helmets, or jerseys, or wherever.

Not a good example if you're going the coach theory.

Why do you follow a team you consider to be "nothing" and "garbage"?

You are partially right - I get upset that PJ makes everything about PJ. RTB just comes along with that. If it helps, the HYPRR, Happiness vs Joy, F.A.M.I.LY., etc bother me much more than RTB. I hope he is our program changing coach - we agree there too. Honestly, I feel he has a decent chance. He was a fantastic hire. I still don't know why you feel "the coach is the program" tho and simply do not agree with that.

Why do you follow a team you consider to be "nothing" and "garbage"?

You are partially right - I get upset that PJ makes everything about PJ. RTB just comes along with that. If it helps, the HYPRR, Happiness vs Joy, F.A.M.I.LY., etc bother me much more than RTB. I hope he is our program changing coach - we agree there too. Honestly, I feel he has a decent chance. He was a fantastic hire. I still don't know why you feel "the coach is the program" tho and simply do not agree with that.

I never called Minnesota nothing or garbage. But the reality is people on the outside view us like we're Indiana or Purdue. Not like we're Wisconsin, or Iowa, or Nebraska. We need a coach that can change that and hopefully PJ is that person.

If we beat Wisconsin or Iowa on a regular basis, Fleck could put Sillinannies on the helmet and I wouldn't care.

Honestly, I've been alive for 25 years. I've consciously watched Gopher Football for maybe 15 of them? I've seen us beat Wisconsin twice. When you talk about the "tradition" of Gopher Football", you have an entire generation that has never experienced what that feels like. I'm willing to bet that over 25% of the crowd on any Saturday couldn't tell you who Bernie Bierman is.

Quiet frankly, I want to see a competitive Gopher Football team. If PJ can achieve that by putting a personal trademarked slogan on the helmet, go for it. Beat Wisconsin. Beat Iowa.

Hayden Fry (a program changing coach) ..... added ANF stickers to helmets in 1985. Barry Alvarez (a program changing coach) changed the entire decal to a "Motion W" in 1990.

1st was a supportive gesture in midst of economic farm crisis.
2nd was to help bring in a new era and look at things differently.
Not sure either having anything to do with football program tradition.

SETTLE-THE-F-DOWN.gif

It sounds like some people may need to speak to a therapist about adding RTB to an alternate helmet. My gosh. Calm down. Wait until next season when there is a full on jersey change probably with Oars and all(which I am totally fine with, BTW). GH may melt down. If you didn't think these things were coming when we hired Coach Fleck I don't feel bad for you. The players and team seem to love the mantra, slogans, Gopher talk etc., isn't that what we should be concerned with? Not that our fragile sensibilities are affected by adding a slogan or oars to a jersey/equipment?

Sure, you can not like it, but jerseys are going to change and have slogans/oars/etc. added to them. So I would recommend getting used to it.

That's just crazy talk.

I'm okay with it, but I'd replace the "ROW" on the front of the helmet with a pair of black oars, making it an X.

27d059fc307c6e1249e236865d1c791d--rowing-oars-a-compass.jpg

Absolutely Hate It!
PJ, with all due respect, you can use your "row the whatever" slogan as much as you want, but leave it off the uniform! I am a big supporter of PJ and hope he has a long and successful career here at the U. But placing his RTB slogan on everything seems to smell of self promotion. Ski-U-mah has a long tradition that is unique to the U. People can say whatever they want about the old brick by brick, but it does naturally tie in with the old Brick house and the brick house theme that was built into the new stadium.
Putting RTB crap on the uniforms is like putting a "play hard" or "all for one" kind of slogan on the helmets. Stupid, and disrespectful to the legacy of a B1G school!

+100

Holy cow.
Thread started at 9 pm last night and it already has 5 pages and a few pissing matches. This season is going to be awesome!

Don't like how Row the Boat is on the helmet and that it says Row on the front nor that they now have Ski-U-Mah on twice.
As I have stated before, I will NEVER, be ok with Oars, RTB or any other coach slogans being on the uniforms, unless they are something subtle like the bricks on the numbers currently. Ski-U-Mah is NOT a slogan, it is part of U of M history, not just the football team but part of the University and is even in the rouser.
RTB is and will always be a Western Michigan slogan first. It is not nor will it ever be a part of the U of M. Even if PJF is here for 25 years and we win a few BIG titles and maybe even a national title, it will never be apart of the U of M.
If the Gophers win back the axe or Floyd or the Jug or the chair, I will be ecstatic. But I will still not like the RTB slogan on the helmet.
With the uniform changes coming next year, I will be disappointed in the look of them if they have Oars and Row the boat on them. I think it will make them look cheap and will be similar to the XFL uni's and the He Hate Me name on the back. IF the Oars or RTB slogans are subtle like the bricks now, I won't have an issue with them.
A question for all you professing full support of adding RTB and oars to everything.
Will we need to put an oar on those trophies next to the score, to mark the years PJF teams won those?

Holy cow.
Thread started at 9 pm last night and it already has 5 pages and a few pissing matches. This season is going to be awesome!

Thanks for adding to it as seen below.

As I have stated before, I will NEVER, be ok with Oars, RTB or any other coach slogans being on the uniforms, unless they are something subtle like the bricks on the numbers currently.

Well, they are coming, so get used to it.

RTB is and will always be a Western Michigan slogan first. It is not nor will it ever be a part of the U of M. Even if PJF is here for 25 years and we win a few BIG titles and maybe even a national title, it will never be apart of the U of M.

That's like, your opinion, man. But it is already part of the U of M football program, so it is part of the U of M as long as Fleck is here. It's already been co-branded with the Block M and Ski-U-Mah, another slogan.

Ski-U-Mah is NOT a slogan

By the definition in the dictionary, Ski-U-Mah is a slogan as the U of M uses it. Especially for athletics. See below:

Slogan
noun
a short and striking or memorable phrase used in advertising.
a motto associated with a political party or movement or other group.
synonyms: catchphrase, jingle, byword, motto;

A question for all you professing full support of adding RTB and oars to everything.
Will we need to put an oar on those trophies next to the score, to mark the years PJF teams won those?

This is dumb to even ask and makes no sense. I am not even sure what point you are trying to make here.

If we beat Wisconsin or Iowa on a regular basis, Fleck could put Sillinannies on the helmet and I wouldn't care.

Honestly, I've been alive for 25 years. I've consciously watched Gopher Football for maybe 15 of them? I've seen us beat Wisconsin twice. When you talk about the "tradition" of Gopher Football", you have an entire generation that has never experienced what that feels like. I'm willing to bet that over 25% of the crowd on any Saturday couldn't tell you who Bernie Bierman is.

Quiet frankly, I want to see a competitive Gopher Football team. If PJ can achieve that by putting a personal trademarked slogan on the helmet, go for it. Beat Wisconsin. Beat Iowa.

Your first paragraph misses the point. If we accomplish that BECAUSE of the Sillinannies then sure, but there is nothing wrong with wanting us to accomplish those goals w/o making the helmets all about PJF. Putting RTB on the helmet will not impact game results one way or the other.

On the next point - it is important to realize that tradition goes far beyond and exists independent of winning/losing. I'm sorry to see that some fans on here view the U's tradition solely in that context.

Good grief.... Some of our fan base won't be happy until we bring back the leather helmets from their hay day...

Double post

Personally, I think it's a smart move. Not being entirely privvy to the "Row the Boat" contract, I can't speak for any self promoting regarding its use. Uniforms and slogans change to keep things new and fresh; I don't know why this is any different than wearing a patch for breast cancer awareness or a team-mate being remembered. It all has to do with butts in the seats and a positive reflection on the university.

The days of a university choosing history over money is long-gone. I wish it didn't have to come down to that, but times and needs change. Even Goldy has been transformed to be fresh and new.

I like Row the Boat for a lot of reasons; it's easy to remember and our competition hates it. Every coach puts their personal stamp on the team and PJF is going over the top with it...but it shouldn't be any different than his over the top personality. #RTB

Personally, I think it's a smart move. Not being entirely privvy to the "Row the Boat" contract, I can't speak for any self promoting regarding its use. Uniforms and slogans change to keep things new and fresh; I don't know why this is any different than wearing a patch for breast cancer awareness or a team-mate being remembered. It all has to do with butts in the seats and a positive reflection on the university.

The days of a university choosing history over money is long-gone. I wish it didn't have to come down to that, but times and needs change. Even Goldy has been transformed to be fresh and new.

I like Row the Boat for a lot of reasons; it's easy to remember and our competition hates it. Every coach puts their personal stamp on the team and PJF is going over the top with it...but it shouldn't be any different than his over the top personality. #RTB
+1
People up in arms about this reminds me of when Penn St added the Nike swoosh to their plain jersey. Some PSU fans thought the world might end

I'm in favor. The player seem to have baught in. When was the last time the UMN football program was having positive media attention?

#RTB

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No issues from me. I hope we beat Wisconsin.

this. if they win the Axe they can slogan out the case that holds it for a year too for all I care

"rowed the boat and chopped it up afterward"

Your first paragraph misses the point. If we accomplish that BECAUSE of the Sillinannies then sure, but there is nothing wrong with wanting us to accomplish those goals w/o making the helmets all about PJF. Putting RTB on the helmet will not impact game results one way or the other.

On the next point - it is important to realize that tradition goes far beyond and exists independent of winning/losing. I'm sorry to see that some fans on here view the U's tradition solely in that context.

Any issue with the "JerrySota" flag? Official Jerrysota U of M Merchandise? His likeness on T-shirts? Crowd chanting Jerry? I get it, it wasn't on the helmet. But a lot of the program was all about Jerry Kill (I didn't care then either)

Your right, tradition is more than winning and losing. But those stories of me riding with my old man in the combine listening to Gopher games on the radio in October end with heartbreaking losses to Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin. It doesn't have to solely depend on wins and losses, but racking a few up here and there wouldn't hurt.

SWMNGopherFan;1415157[B said:
]Any issue with the "JerrySota" flag? Official Jerrysota U of M Merchandise[/B]? His likeness on T-shirts? Crowd chanting Jerry? I get it, it wasn't on the helmet. But a lot of the program was all about Jerry Kill (I didn't care then either)

Your right, tradition is more than winning and losing. But those stories of me riding with my old man in the combine listening to Gopher games on the radio in October end with heartbreaking losses to Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin. It doesn't have to solely depend on wins and losses, but racking a few up here and there wouldn't hurt.

Of course the same people complaining about #RTB didn't have a problem with JerrySota or any other reference to Kill being bigger than the program. This is simply about what people don't like about PJ Fleck.

Imagine GHole will go into full blown meltdown mode if the crowd starts chanting "Row the boat".

Hate it. It represents PJ, not the U. SKI U MAH!

It only stays as long as Fleck is a Gopher, which in a weird way makes him bigger than the program. Honestly, it makes me want to puke! Could you imagine and traditional powerhouse school adding this to their helmet? Of course not!

this kind of culture clash does give me hope that fleck might stay around longer than expected - im not at all worried about ND pulling another holtz and poaching fleck

Any issue with the "JerrySota" flag? Official Jerrysota U of M Merchandise? His likeness on T-shirts? Crowd chanting Jerry? I get it, it wasn't on the helmet. But a lot of the program was all about Jerry Kill (I didn't care then either)

I loved the "JerrySota" stuff and am all on board for RTB. This whole post is excellent. Well done sir.

Of course the same people complaining about #RTB didn't have a problem with JerrySota or any other reference to Kill being bigger than the program. This is simply about what people don't like about PJ Fleck.

Imagine GHole will go into full blown meltdown mode if the crowd starts chanting "Row the boat".

Exactly. If you didn't think Kill was a self-promoter I don't know where to start. He just had such a folksy way of doing it.

Top Bottom