Luton

swingman

Reaction score
Oregon State names the juco transfer its starting QB:

Luton, who began his college career at Idaho (redshirt in 2014, then lost battle to starthad in 2015) had a record-setting season at Ventura in 2016 throwing for 3,551 yards and 40 touchdowns in 2016. Shortly after arriving at OSU, however, Luton came down with a mysterious ailment that caused him to lose about 30 pounds during spring practice. He was back to full health by the start of camp, and has showed improved consistency in his decision-making thus far, Andersen said.

https://www.buildingthedam.com/2017...ed-oregon-state-starting-quarterback-football

40 touchdowns...

xuSWTPE.jpg

6'7" is interesting. Brock Osweiler is the only relevant QB of a similar height I can think of. Even Roethlisberger is only like 6'5" (but huge)

Anyone have recent game film of him?

6'7" is interesting. Brock Osweiler is the only relevant QB of a similar height I can think of. Even Roethlisberger is only like 6'5" (but huge)

Anyone have recent game film of him?

I don't think he's really 6'7", looks closer to 6'5" to me, but does have a talented arm and he isn't a statue either.

To use the logic of some on this board- since he couldn't beat out the starting QB for what has historically been one of the worst football teams annually, he can't be any good.[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird...unless I'm missing something...which is possible...this is after one day of practice. He didn't practice in the spring. He's a JC guy, so he wasn't there before. What the heck message does that send to the backups? Best case scenario...the backups see the writing on the wall and say goodbye. Mr Luton's mysterious ailment returns and their running back is now their QB. I like our chances a little more today, whatever happens.

Weird...unless I'm missing something...which is possible...this is after one day of practice. He didn't practice in the spring. He's a JC guy, so he wasn't there before. What the heck message does that send to the backups? Best case scenario...the backups see the writing on the wall and say goodbye. Mr Luton's mysterious ailment returns and their running back is now their QB. I like our chances a little more today, whatever happens.

BEND -- Oregon State coach Gary Andersen said he would name the Beavers' starting quarterback whenever that signal-caller clearly emerged.

Turns out that took place about a week into fall camp. Jake Luton has earned that distinction for the Beavers' Aug. 26 opener at Colorado State, Andersen announced following Tuesday's practice at Summit High School.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/i...on_named_oregon_state.html#incart_river_index

The Beavs opened camp July 25. They start the season August 26 as they agreed to move a game up with Colorado State as Rams are opening their new stadium and wanted a big opponent for the opener. Beavers lost a ton on Oline and at wr. Luton is a big target and may not be healthy by the time we get to Corvallis. Big step from facing a California juco to facing a defense that was top 25 in the nation.

I don't think he's really 6'7", looks closer to 6'5" to me, but does have a talented arm and he isn't a statue either.

Yeah, he's pretty athletic for a bigger guy and based on his production cannot be dismissed. I'm more impressed by him than by Tanner Lee. Our defensive speed and shifting coverages should pose problems he's not accustomed to and make him less comfortable, at least that's my hope. I would've been excited to get him on our team.

However, he didn't attend Manning Camp, so.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7729638/583ce6715b3cd92534a4413f' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7729638/583ce6715b3cd92534a4413f' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I always find these hard to evaluate. Some of those WRs are finding crazy space out there...

I always find these hard to evaluate. Some of those WRs are finding crazy space out there...

Yeah, I agree. It's a mental game but given time it "appears" he can hit those crossing patterns, outs, and find the open man. If he had 40 TDs in a single season (?) that's impressive. Domination at a lower level should be a prerequisite to be a QB on a P5 program but doesn't mean they will succeed.

Yeah, I agree. It's a mental game but given time it "appears" he can hit those crossing patterns, outs, and find the open man. If he had 40 TDs in a single season (?) that's impressive. Domination at a lower level should be a prerequisite to be a QB on a P5 program but doesn't mean they will succeed.

Yeah, if in need of a QB... seems like he's worth a shot.

Having watched both seasons of Last Chance U, I consider myself somewhat of an expert on JUCO football. However since California JUCO's are not under the NCAA, I must defer.

Luton was sacked 24 times, threw 20 picks, 56.5% on completions, 7.7 yards per attempt.

Bio, game log, split stats http://www.vcweplayhard.com/sports/fball/2016-17/bios/luton_jake_tnoq?view=gamelog&pos=qb

Looks like 15 picks and 18 sacks.

Obviously we don't know how he's going to do at the power 5 level. But, Anderson has Garretson, Moran, and McMaryion and decided to go with this guy and he was productive at a lower level. He's got a football body. He probably has a good jaw. Then again, Anderson also started Tanner McEvoy to thrilling effect until Stave got over the yips.

If we can defend the screen this year I'll be happy.

If we can stop screen pass.....

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom