Gophers Move On From Sexual Misconduct Saga

Go4Lurker

Reaction score
There is a new sheriff in town and he is not whining about EOAA investigations and due process for his football players. He is just trying to lead his players to be the best they can be and to educate them about how to conduct themselves as Gopher athletes both on and off the field. I could be wrong, but it looks like there is culture change happening at the U.

Gophers move on from sexual misconduct saga in proactive ways

When the Gophers football team begins training camp Tuesday, the sexual misconduct scandal that embroiled the program last season will be one more day into the past.

While they’ve turned the page from a saga that included suspensions, restraining orders, no criminal charges, a boycott, a coaching change, expulsions for four players and eventual reinstatements for five others, the program has been attacking the societal factors that overarch and contributed to the ordeal.

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said he has welcomed the University of Minnesota’s Aurora Center for Advocacy and Education, which assists people affected by sexual assault and domestic violence, to meet with football players.

Senior linebacker Jon Celestin said the occasion reinforced the message that “you never know what somebody is thinking or what somebody is going through,” he said. “Just always treat everybody with the utmost respect.”

Fleck said Monday that he’s “not here to talk about last year,” and he has brought his pre-existing program from his former coaching job at Western Michigan to Dinkytown and renamed it the Gopher for Life program. He wants to educate on social issues, so the players know “how to respond to those things, how to say no to those things, how to be educated so it never gets to that point.”

Senior defensive tackle Steven Richardson said he hasn’t seen or heard the sexual misconduct case referenced by teammates. The case alleged multiple sexual acts with many players and a female student at an off-campus apartment in September.

“(With) Coach Fleck coming in, we’ve learned how to deal with it and push that into a last year thing,” Richardson said. “We are learning how to avoid situations like that as well.”

Read more at: http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/31/gophers-move-on-from-sexual-misconduct-saga-in-proactive-ways/

It's an article about the Gophers - do you people jump on Bleed for posting things from articles written on discarded pieces of paper (Southern MN 'newspapers')? Sorry it doesn't fit the narrative of the evil University that you all supposedly are fans of.

The irony of the Gopher gang bang scandal is that the football team appears to have moved on with their lives while the only people who can't seem to let go of it are a relatively small group of GopherHolers who continue to post their hatred for Kaler and Coyle at every opportunity.

The irony of the Gopher scandal is that the football team appears to have moved on with their lives while the only people who can't seem to let go of it are a relatively small group of GopherHolers Mainly trolls such as myself..

Now that's something we all can agree on.

For real though. I don't understand the whole "This user is actually this other user" thing. To me it seems like people are just trying to trivialize their opponents by claiming they are all one person. To me that seems kinda cowardly, and I never understood it. Is it that hard to believe more than one person shares that point of view?

For real though. I don't understand the whole "This user is actually this other user" thing. To me it seems like people are just trying to trivialize their opponents by claiming they are all one person. To me that seems kinda cowardly, and I never understood it. Is it that hard to believe more than one person shares that point of view?

It is because it is "go4lurker" first ever post. I do agree with you though alot of people refuse to see things from other peoples point of view or have an agenda. In this case I do think its a troll however.

I'm simply pointing out similarities in language, style, and POV, and absurdity. You can draw your own conclusions.

I've tried to be consistent in defending my POV that the Gopher Ten didn't receive close to the due process necessary considering the very large economic damages meted out by these one person tribunals.

Then we have FtheFs arguing we should build a statue if Fleck wins 6 and 3 wins should be considered a good season.

Like I said before, draw your own conclusions but when I sniff a "bit" involving a few limited topics I have the freedom to point it out. They have the freedom to show me how wrong I am.

The irony of the Gopher gang bang scandal is that the football team appears to have moved on with their lives while the only people who can't seem to let go of it are a relatively small group of GopherHolers who continue to post their hatred for Kaler and Coyle at every opportunity.

Not even close to being true. There are still many comments on social media about "the 10 rapists", the team full of rapists, etc.

I'm simply pointing out similarities in language, style, and POV, and absurdity. You can draw your own conclusions.

I've tried to be consistent in defending my POV that the Gopher Ten didn't receive close to the due process necessary considering the very large economic damages meted out by these one person tribunals.

Then we have FtheFs arguing we should build a statue if Fleck wins 6 and 3 wins should be considered a good season.

Like I said before, draw your own conclusions but when I sniff a "bit" involving a few limited topics I have the freedom to point it out. They have the freedom to show me how wrong I am.

I mean, I guess my view is Occam's Razor. The simplest answer is likely the truth. To me multiple people who share similar views and vocabulary seems simpler than the idea that one person has created multiple accounts and is actively posting from them at the same time.

Coyle-bots then. Satisfied?

We all know you supported the tarring and feathering of the guys. Tell me more.

So actually posting under multiple monikers is "important" and "brave" than is it?

Why that's a novel and very unsupported take.

Coyle-bots then. Satisfied?

We all know you supported the tarring and feathering of the guys. Tell me more.

Was this meant for me? If so I'm rather confused as to your second statement's relevance to the conversation? In response to it though, I never said that I think we should tar and feather the gopher players. In fact I agreed that the names shouldn't have been released as they were and that the process has its flaws. However giving the information I had, I agreed with the punishments given. I would expect the same punishments for a regular student at the U. I believe you may be referring to my statements last summer before all of this happened where we got in a debate over a Rape investigation and its outcomes. If I remember correctly I did back off, admit I was being a bit rash, but that I still thought our legal system was flawed in these situations. I also said we wouldn't get anywhere in the discussion and that there was no point in us discussing, which you called cowardess.

I'd also like to point out that I am trying to move on from this investigation. I rarely post on these threads and if I do its never "All the players are rapists and should be expelled" as you seem to be trying to imply.

All I did was ask for reasoning about the behavior, and explained why I thought it was flawed, which prompted an ad hominem from you. Now what does that say?

So actually posting under multiple monikers is "important" and "brave" than is it?

Why that's a novel and very unsupported take.

That's not what I am saying at all. If people are in fact doing that, they are just as cowardly. But I think when 5 people seem to disagree with you in the same way that its cowardly to say "Nah, that's just one person, five people don't disagree with me" rather than to actually address those 5 people's argument with a counterpoint of your own. To do anything to dismiss your opponent's argument rather than address it is cowardly to me.

That's not what I am saying at all. If people are in fact doing that, they are just as cowardly. But I think when 5 people seem to disagree with you in the same way that its cowardly to say "Nah, that's just one person, five people don't disagree with me" rather than to actually address those 5 people's argument with a counterpoint of your own. To do anything to dismiss your opponent's argument rather than address it is cowardly to me.

:blah::blah::blah:

5 people huh? Really? Cowardly? Oooohhhh, that will make people stop. :rolleyes:

Nah, it's not "cowardly" not to want to respond again and again to the same B.S. that's posted again and again. Once or twice should suffice.

Now to keep bringing it up again and again and using a pejorative term again and again isn't cowardly.

It's just being a dick.

:blah::blah::blah:

5 people huh? Really? Cowardly? Oooohhhh, that will make people stop. :rolleyes:

Nah, it's not "cowardly" not to want to respond again and again to the same B.S. that's posted again and again. Once or twice should suffice.

Now to keep bringing it up again and again and using a pejorative term again and again isn't cowardly.

It's just being a dick.

But that's not what's happening, as if it were we wouldn't continually have the pissing contests on every thread that mentions Fleck, Kaler, Coyle, or Recruiting.

Honestly though, if people just didn't respond rather than respond and call people "Trolls" or "Coyle-bots" or "Flecksters" or "Mrs. Coyle" etc, maybe we'd actually stop seeing the same argument re-hashed on every thread. Which is why I don't understand why people continually do it other than that they want to argue, even though a lot of them claim the contrary.

What's wrong with arguing? There was a story in the Strib last week about a communications prof at the U. He was lamenting the decay of critical thinking skills and robust debate amongst young people. He takes his students to Greece so they can see one of the birthplaces of debate and things like the republic method of govt . Paraphrasing he said without free speech and engaged citizens that are willing and free to argue our society dies. This prof agrees so many are scared to be labeled by others. SAD!

And the pendulum swings.

What's wrong with arguing? There was a story in the Strib last week about a communications prof at the U. He was lamenting the decay of critical thinking skills and robust debate amongst young people. He takes his students to Greece so they can see one of the birthplaces of debate and things like the republic method of govt . Paraphrasing he said without free speech and engaged citizens that are willing and free to argue our society dies. This prof agrees so many are scared to be labeled by others. SAD!

And the pendulum swings.

There is nothing wrong with actual debating. You know, with sited facts and allowing your opponent to respond, and no ad hominem arguments and what not. Which is what I believe the professor was referring to.

And arguing isn't necessarily bad either, if it is actually people arguing their points in an appropriate manner. Then again, I wouldn't say a lot of the arguments on GH actually do that. Most are pissing contests wrought with name calling, ad hominem arguments and rarely any actual points being argued. Which I believe is exactly what upset that professor in the first place.

Are there any lawsuits against the University on behalf of the accused? I seem to remember some GHolers saying they hoped attorneys would take the U to the cleaners. Did that ever happen, or is it in the works?

Top Bottom