Notes and videos on Gophers Football Media Day: Fleck, Smith, Richardson & Cashman

GopherLady

Reaction score
Notes and videos on Gophers Football Media Day: Fleck, Smith, Richardson & Cashman

Ok guys - you know I type as they talk...and let's just say I think I could about 1/2 of what P.J. Fleck said, lol! They will send transcripts, but this is what I got:

P.J. Fleck (head coach)*
• I heard I had the most words from Big 10 media day
• This is a really exciting day, it's the start of the future. I want to thank all of you for being here, and spread our message, and provide the coverage that you do. I hope we can get a lot of you to Big 10 media day.
• Every Sunday spending with you - has been Elite Sid.
• I get to look outside the window everyday, and see the Mortenson progress, I get to watch them stretch in the day, and stay late, with no injuries.
• Thank our student body who is getting ready to come back here. I've heard all of our student body as I run by, and people that pass us and our players, thank you. It's been a good and fast 6 months.
• We've had 6 HC's in 11 years, when you look at Horton, Kill, Claeys, etc. Averages are less than 2 years a coach. To have some things happen in the past 6 months shows the growth. We have the highest GPA in the history of the program, 2nd most commitments in the country - we don't have to force anyone to commit, they want to do it.
• Players take over teams that are champions, mediocre teams, coaches lead. (Video)
• Evaluation, developing and mastering are the 3 key words in this training camp.
• QB's markers that you're looking at? (Video)
• We haven't had a QB drafted since 1971, we want to change that. It's the most important position, period.
• I will tell you as soon as we've decided on a starter, I will be so excited to do that.
• You have limited amount of time, which means that we have to go to work. This is what we love.
• Our coaches had some weeks off - so I told them to get away, because when you come back, that's when we have to work.
• Not ready to go? Cashman is ready to go, but won't have contact for a few days. A few others won't be, as terms of full go. Past August 10th, probably no one else won't be ready for full go
• Expectations are to be better today than we were yesterday. No one has higher expectations for this team than me.
• I'm not worried about the W or the L - I'm worried about this team doing everything to be their best, and hit their maximum potential.
• Educating a completer person on every aspect of their lives. We want to develop our players, how to respond to things, how to say no, how to be educated.
• There's a simulation of guys getting pulled over…when you do, what do you do? Where to put your hands? How to communicate.
• Having date night, where we teach our players how to go on a date. To be able to teach our players, how to treat your girlfriend, or women in your life like a queen.
• It's about educating and developing the complete man. This is not just about the football aspect. You will all judge me on wins and losses, but as far as me being an educator, that's not what we judge ourselves on.
• Some of the freshman that came in should help, Rashad Still has grown up, we're a more mature football team.
• Ty Johnson - more mature football player than he was. We're getting there.
• Coney Durr had the ACL - said he's a full go. He's one of those that will go right up until August 10th…that should be where everyone is back on that field. Just because he's back, doesn't mean I'm going to put him out there, I'm a parent too. I listen to our medical staff…even when he's cleared, need to spoon feed him a little bit.
• Given the question marks you have - how do you keep Rodney and Shannon healthy? You don't play him (laughing). You can't run away from that, you have to practice them. They're the heartbeat of this football team, we love to run the football, experienced players. We don't practice on Sundays, we have 2 walk throughs on Weds., that's taking care of our players.
• Lack of depth at D-line - this was January/Feb talks, lack of depth at D-Tackle. There should be 6 guys, and we don't have that. Head coaches are already 2 years out when you look at roster development. We are a 4-3 team.
• Anyone not buying in? I was hoping that all of them said that, and questioned it. Otherwise, you haven't asked yourselves the right question. I'm here to prove to you, that this program is right for you. One side of the room - no way can I stay, it probably doesn't fit me, no worries. People in the middle - I really like it, but this is a little different. Not prove to them, but they want consistency. Year one is extremely difficult.
• We will make mistakes, what's more important is how you respond to those mistakes.
• When did he start focusing on yoga/stretching/etc.? We had a lot of off season surgeries, soft tissue injuries, etc. at our last stop. We knew our strength program would catch up, but that's when we started getting into that. The amount of rest and time they will have to recover is great. It's all about them, the culture is all about our players. My job is to bring national exposure, when you haven't played one game, and we've done what we set out to do.

Rodney Smith (running back)*
• I'm right around 210 lbs, I put on about 5-6 pounds, got stronger and a in great shape
• Kill/Claeys/Fleck - all great guys, I love them all to death. Fleck is high energy, Claeys is a great guy, Kill is high energy too.
• When Fleck arrived? I was curious to see if he was that energetic, he is! (Video)
• Learning how to stay healthy and take hits
• How did he end up here? I got up here on a visit, saw what MN had to offer, I was surprised. I feel in love with the city, and opportunities after football.
• Zen Wednesdays, we have team stretches, roll-out soft tissues, you feel better the next day, and even at night.
• Biggest change: The energy. You have to prove yourselves to every coach all over again.
• Medication is helpful, you get to focus on yourself and your body. We do that every Weds. for an hour. They play music.
• Individual goals? I haven't set any yet. Gotta focus on the team right now. He wouldn't comment on anything individual.

Steven Richardson (defensive tackle)*
• Differences? It's entirely different. Lot of energy has been brought to this complex. With the other coaches, I was very calm. It brought a leadership role out of me.
• On the scandal - Change the narrative - break away from the stereotype that sadly football players have towards women and relationships. Treating them as a queen.
• On the bowl game as underdogs - it shows that we have each other's back, we're usually the underdog. It was just another game. What happened beyond the field has no effect on how we played.
• Worked on this off season? Quicker hands, playing a someone of a different position, focused on getting hands up quicker. I never noticed how much slower I was last year, with my hands.
• What percentage of the time do you get double teamed? Steven Richardson: 95%. You work through it, staying low.
• I'm taking an extra yoga class, just stretching, I haven't felt this well in a long time.

Blake Cashman (linebacker)*
• My shoulders feel great right now, we're going to slowly work into it because I haven't hit since the bowl game.
• I'm still don't know exactly where I fit, some of it's familiar to me. As long as I can keep up what I did last year, it will be a good fit for me.
• The schemes that we're going to be doing this fall will be slightly different. I didn’t get a feel for everything we're going to be doing because I missed spring.
• I started out as special teams, so I gained that confidence. I knew what I had to do and what my responsibility was.
• Freedom to rush the passer? Coach Sawvel and Sherels they saw I could use my speed to my advantage, and to blitz feely.
• I think about it all the time (the scholarship) it was a special deal, not many coaches do that for their players, so it shows how important it was to Coach Fleck.
• My weight went down a little bit after surgery because I wasn't working out. I'm back up to where I was last year, it's all about learning the new system. I feel as strong and as fast as I was last year.
• We're a family, we all want to be on the field
• Cash Package? I would look and say - I can't go in there, I have a sling on.
• Players that stood out? Our team leaders, Jon, Rodney, always do a great job, Shannon Brooks is a workhorse, can't wait to see what he does this year. He was a little banged up this year.
• Changing the narrative? Coach Fleck has done a great job, he's everywhere, he's put a positive spotlight on our program. The guys have all jumped in and are on board, about serving and giving back. Trying to make fans proud.

Videos:
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks GL.

I don't watch a lot of pressers - is Sid normally that...interruptive?

Awesome. Thank you.

FYI - I'm guessing Rodney said meditation and not medication? :D

Great post. Thank You.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodney has that infectious positivity and grin. I still chuckle when I think back to the first time he was put on the dais after a win and Sid asked him an incoherent question in that Sid way and Rodney gave a big smile, shook his head and said "come again?". He had to be thinking who is this guy?

Rodney has that infectious positivity and grin. I still chuckle when I think back to the first time he was put on the dais after a win and Sid asked him an incoherent question in that Sid way and Rodney gave a big smile, shook his head and said "come again?". He had to be thinking who is this guy?

I remember that as well. Very funny.

Was it "come again?" or "say what?"?

Gopher Lady you are doing what the media fail to do. There is no online or printed coverage that compares. I loved when Coach Fleck asked for the coverage the team deserves. Thank you for your efforts.

Gopher Lady you are doing what the media fail to do. There is no online or printed coverage that compares. I loved when Coach Fleck asked for the coverage the team deserves. Thank you for your efforts.

Yes !! Thank You GOPHERLADY!!

Top Bottom