P.J. Fleck, Pat Fitzgerald on Their Power Lunch a Decade Ago

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per TheSportsBank:

On Tuesday, Minnesota Golden Gophers Coach P.J. Fleck opened up the early morning session of B1G Media Days. His INTENSE HIGH ENERGY style was no doubt placed in this specific slot to help supplement the caffeine for everyone. Fleck was immediately followed by Northwestern head man Pat Fitzgerald, and the juxtaposition of the two head coaches invites a recall of their famous meeting of the minds a decade ago.

“Pat Fitzgerald, I remember 10 years ago I came here to Chicago to meet Pat and just had lunch, talked to me about what being a head coach was all about,” Fleck said in his opening statement. “I knew I wanted to be a head coach.”

“When I was an assistant at Northern Illinois, I would call coaches and ask them if I could just take them to lunch,” Fleck said.

“He was the only coach that ever said yes; literally,” the Sugar Grove, IL native and former NIU Huskies star continued.

“I drove to Evanston and took him out to lunch and here I am just a position coach in the Mid-American Conference and he’s a Head Coach in the Big Ten, and he was willing to share a lot of things with me. I have a ton of respect for him, always have, always will and I think he’s one of the best coaches in the country.

“Not just the collegiate level but NFL, high school, in all of football.”

Pat Fitzgerald was asked about the meeting too.

“I saw a guy that was very driven. He wanted to learn and grow and ask me questions about how I manage things as a young head football coach and how I do things on a day-to-day basis with the staff, all the way to the players, everything in between,”he said.

“Two Chicago guys, and obviously his relationship with Jim Phillips and some other coaches that I knew.”

“I could tell he had goals about what he wanted to do, and I think we had a good conversation,” Fitzgerald continued.

http://www.thesportsbank.net/northw...zgerald-on-their-business-lunch-a-decade-ago/

Go Gophers!!

Pat seems like a great guy.

My son plays against his in travel baseball and Pat's at most games. I've had some conversations with him and he's legitimately a good dude. I would send my kids to play for him without hesitation.

Watch Fleck's Big Ten Media appearance and then watch Fitzgerald's, it's not even close.

Watch Fleck's Big Ten Media appearance and then watch Fitzgerald's, it's not even close.

Fitzgerald has been around longer. Give Fleck the opportunity to watch and observe. Not everything happens overnight.

I am not a Fleck hater, just a big difference in the way Fits goes about his business. Fitzgerald is a true professional.

I am not a Fleck hater, just a big difference in the way Fits goes about his business. Fitzgerald is a true professional.

So was Joe Paterno.

Just saying that nobody is perfect. I agree that Fitzgerald seems like a true professional, by the way. I disagree that Fleck is not. He's just more of a rah rah guy.

So was Joe Paterno.

Just saying that nobody is perfect. I agree that Fitzgerald seems like a true professional, by the way. I disagree that Fleck is not. He's just more of a rah rah guy.

I hate Rah Rah

Let's just say I like Pat Fitzgerald's style better than PJ Fleck's, that doesn't mean PJ can't be successful, it's just a personal preference. I'll wait and evaluate him based on the product he puts on the field.

Let's just say I like Pat Fitzgerald's style better than PJ Fleck's, that doesn't mean PJ can't be successful, it's just a personal preference. I'll wait and evaluate him based on the product he puts on the field.

You make too much sense. Most of these Holers think that if you don't care for Fleck's style, you must be a hater. We are still rooting for him to be successful with the Gopher football team, no matter his style.

You make too much sense. Most of these Holers think that if you don't care for Fleck's style, you must be a hater. We are still rooting for him to be successful with the Gopher football team, no matter his style.

You clearly want him to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am one of the Four, so.....

Sure you want the Gophers to succeed under Fleck. You'll just have to close you eyes and plug your ears so you won't have to see or hear him get credit for the success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So was Joe Paterno.

I can't remember the exact quote or who said it, but it was sage wisdom along the lines of, most people fail by living their lives trying to be someone they're not. Whether you like PJ or not, he's doing this by being himself. I don't think there are any right or wrong ways to be.

Top Bottom