Finally, B1G Conference Schedules Announced: Gophers get Sparty at home

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gophers draw Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State (in New York), and Rutgers at home.

Get Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin on the road.

2-plays (as previously reported) are Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Would be optimal IMO if we played Illinois and @ Wisconsin for the first two conference games. I can see those teams being better at the end of the season than they will be in December.

Also, extremely pumped we'll be getting MSU at the Barn. Originally thought they'd be a single play on the road.

Also, extremely pumped we'll be getting MSU at the Barn. Originally thought they'd be a single play on the road.

Yep, that was the one I was surprised by. And thought we'd get Penn State at home. Will take that trade-off.

The "home" game vs OSU is in New York right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that was the one I was surprised by. And thought we'd get Penn State at home. Will take that trade-off.

Yep the matchups fell how I thought they would with Minnesota and Nebraska being flipped for MSU. As a Spartan season ticket holder I'm bummed with the change but it is what it is. As was mentioned a week or two ago, maybe this was done due to balance MSUs schedule a bit with the other contenders.

Illinois (h) - win
Michigan State (h) - loss
Ohio state (h) - win
Rutgers (h) - win
Maryland (a) - loss
Michigan (a) - win
Penn State (a) - win
Wisconsin (a) - win
Indiana (h) - win
Indiana (a) - win
Iowa (h) - win
Iowa (a) - win
Purdue (h) - win
Purdue (a) - loss
Nebraska (h) - win
Nebraska (a) - win
Northwestern (H) - win
Northwestern (A) - loss

That's 14-4 if I am correct obviously some of these game could be flipped but I see us somewhere between 12 and 16 wins. This should put us up in contention depending on how we do injury and luck wise during the season.

I hope we get MSU at home late for all the marbles! What an awesome environment that would be!

My early assessment is 12-6. Road schedule much more difficult than home schedule.

Losses to Iowa (A), Maryland (A), Michigan State (H). Northwestern (A), Penn State (A), Purdue (A).

My early assessment is 12-6. Road schedule much more difficult than home schedule.

Losses to Iowa (A), Maryland (A), Michigan State (H). Northwestern (A), Penn State (A), Purdue (A).

+1 The home game against MS could decide the conference champion.

SOOO pumped that MSU game is at The Barn. If they hit it on the right day (or after a strong start for the Gophers) the place will be electric. Can't wait.

Illinois (h) - win
Michigan State (h) - loss
Ohio state (h) - win
Rutgers (h) - win
Maryland (a) - loss
Michigan (a) - win
Penn State (a) - win
Wisconsin (a) - win
Indiana (h) - win
Indiana (a) - win
Iowa (h) - win
Iowa (a) - win
Purdue (h) - win
Purdue (a) - loss
Nebraska (h) - win
Nebraska (a) - win
Northwestern (H) - win
Northwestern (A) - loss

That's 14-4 if I am correct obviously some of these game could be flipped but I see us somewhere between 12 and 16 wins. This should put us up in contention depending on how we do injury and luck wise during the season.

I hope we get MSU at home late for all the marbles! What an awesome environment that would be!

I think the road games at IU and Iowa will be tough but they're winnable. Also the Northwestern game is at Allstate Arena in Rosemont could have a Bryce Jordan feel like it does for DePaul, big home court killer

Coach Pittino claims that the Barn is a huge home court advantage and a great place to play, but we are playing a home game against a big ten opponent at Madison Square Garden. That doesn't make much sense to me. As a season ticket holder it stinks that we lose a good game against Ohio State at home in favor of helping recruiting in New York. I hope the neutral site home game doesn't effect our final standings in the big ten.

Coach Pittino claims that the Barn is a huge home court advantage and a great place to play, but we are playing a home game against a big ten opponent at Madison Square Garden. That doesn't make much sense to me. As a season ticket holder it stinks that we lose a good game against Ohio State at home in favor of helping recruiting in New York. I hope the neutral site home game doesn't effect our final standings in the big ten.
I hope that the gophers can take advantage of their New York pipe line this way. Or maybe this was one selling point in landing Washington, knowing we play in New York one time his freshman season. Playing Ohio State will help also. This should be an easy win

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I doubt Pitino had much say in this one.

I hope that the gophers can take advantage of their New York pipe line this way. Or maybe this was one selling point in landing Washington, knowing we play in New York one time his freshman season. Playing Ohio State will help also. This should be an easy win

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

We'll actually be making three trips to New York this year. Non-conference games against Alabama and UMass, the Ohio State game, and the Big Ten Tournament.

I also disagree that Ohio State is a quality home game, they could be the worst team in the conference this year. I guess there's maybe a bit of name appeal, but I'm hopeful it'll be a fairly comfortable win.

We'll actually be making three trips to New York this year. Non-conference games against Alabama and UMass, the Ohio State game, and the Big Ten Tournament.

I also disagree that Ohio State is a quality home game, they could be the worst team in the conference this year. I guess there's maybe a bit of name appeal, but I'm hopeful it'll be a fairly comfortable win.
I would disagree with you that OSU will be the league's worst team and an easy win. Personally, I see having a game that may have a slightly pro-OSU crowd being counted as a road game is a huge advantage in scheduling. I would hate it if I were a Gopher fan.

Gophers draw Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Rutgers at home.

Get Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin on the road.

2-plays (as previously reported) are Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My first few thoughts:

1. Did we know in advance that the tOSU game would be considered a Gopher home game as opposed to a Buckeye home game? Playing one fewer home game in a year where we finally are considered contenders for the conference crown is brutal.

2. If the team is going to live up expectations, it starts at the Barn. The Gophers were just 6-3 at home last year and an excellent 5-4 on the road. 7-1 at home or better please.

3. I think we've had real expectations maybe 3 times since Clem: twice under Tubby and Grier's second year under Monson (maybe one o those earlier teams with Rickert/Holman/Bauer as well). In exactly zero of those instances did the Gophers meet or exceed expectations. I realize it's irrational to think past performance under different coaches will reflect future results, but its hard not to at least have your guard up. I worry about being a ranked/hyped team on the road this year and how that will create a much different environment than the Gophers faced in 2017. Those games at Iowa and Indiana might be more difficult than they look on paper and Maryland, Purdue, and Northwestern will all be looking for revenge after our wins at their gyms last year. This team should be up to the task, but it's not hard to look at recent history and see guys inexplicably struggle as Seniors, transfer, get injured, etc, etc.

I would disagree with you that OSU will be the league's worst team and an easy win. Personally, I see having a game that may have a slightly pro-OSU crowd being counted as a road game is a huge advantage in scheduling. I would hate it if I were a Gopher fan.

We're going to have the Jelly Fam contingent representing at MSG &#55357;&#56846;

Quick question: when can we expect game dates to be announced?

Quick question: when can we expect game dates to be announced?

Last year the entire schedule was announced Aug. 25. The U didn't release its non-conference schedule separately. That has been the norm under Pitino.

Yep, this "home" conference game in NYC is brutal. Slap in the face to our fans, short-sighted thinking, and emblematic of the worst portion of the modern game. We really need three separate trips to NYC this season? Stupid.

Yep, this "home" conference game in NYC is brutal. Slap in the face to our fans, short-sighted thinking, and emblematic of the worst portion of the modern game. We really need three separate trips to NYC this season? Stupid.

As another poster stated, I don't think it's really a choice by Pitino, or perhaps even Coyle, instead I'd guess it's an edict handed down by Delaney. Per the link, I do think it's interesting and worthy of questions as to why it's a home game for MN versus Ohio State, given distance from campus. Certainly Minnesota is a lot further than Rutgers, Maryland, or Penn State, the other home teams in this series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B1G_Super_Saturday

That all being said, if the season goes as we expect (for both squads), the Gophers should come away with a victory. And, if having Washington and Harris returning to their back yard contributes to a continued pipeline of solid talent from NYC area to the Gophers, supplementing our hometown products? Well, the benefits could potentially be extremely positive for the long-term health of the program.

Kohl Center game will be a grinder, even if Wisconsin is not good.

Hate to break it to you but as one of the few programs with a hockey team were going to be frequent guests at the Garden. I'm sure next time we will get a road game

It might feel like a home game with all the Jelly Fam fans trekking to the Garden.

Top Bottom