Reusse Takes Shot At Gopher Hole

This has been Ruesse's shtick forever:

Exactly. He needs to sell himself so he does it by acting like an angry, salt-of-the-earth, ass. I've met Reusse in person many years ago for a sit down with a small group. Nice guy but he basically said, when things are good, look for and write about the bad. When things are okay, look for the bad. When things are bad, look for the bad. If things are really bad, look for the good and write about that.

I'll never understand why people on here care so much about what he says.

Patrick first and foremost is a baseball guy. In all the years the Twins have been here I can't think of any manager he has crucified to the extent of Gopher Football. In basketball the only two he readily gave compliments too were Musselman and Clem. Even Dutcher took some heat from him. For what ever reason the U football team is the devil's playground.

We don't like him, he doesn't like us....yada yada

pat does this for a few reasons:

1. He honestly dislikes the Umn. I think he either hates it's or doesn't care so it's an easy target.

2. Metro transplants....all the ppl who have moved here from WI and Iowa live and die by their football teams. Therefore it's in pats best interest to cater to them. Umn fans haven't had sustained success so to gain favor w the untapped market, he caters to the outsiders.

3. Ppl read the crap. The more ppl read the venom, the more interest it generates, the longer he stays on at the Strib. Plus I think he gets off on this stuff

Pat loves it when he attempts to rile everyone up. What's really sad is that many people don't read his column and Glen Taylor pays someone to write articles that very few people read.

We don't like him, he doesn't like us....yada yada

pat does this for a few reasons:

1. He honestly dislikes the Umn. I think he either hates it's or doesn't care so it's an easy target.

2. Metro transplants....all the ppl who have moved here from WI and Iowa live and die by their football teams. Therefore it's in pats best interest to cater to them. Umn fans haven't had sustained success so to gain favor w the untapped market, he caters to the outsiders.

3. Ppl read the crap. The more ppl read the venom, the more interest it generates, the longer he stays on at the Strib. Plus I think he gets off on this stuff

Those all make sense. The 2nd point? First time I've heard that theory. The 3rd point has to be true, it just makes the most sense of any theory and its the one I always see people mentioning to explain him.

The 2nd point is the only one I'd be able to forgive him for, because Gopher fans will sometimes read his **** for the same reason liberals sometimes listen to Rush Limbaugh, because some people like to get riled up, they like hating someone out there, lol. But the out of state transplants probably appreciate that someone out there isn't a total Gopher homer.

The fat lazy POS can take shots at me, all he wants, I don't diss him for taking shots at me, hell, I'll go toe to toe with that loser any and every day of the week. Physically or mentally. He's a lazy fat loser. So he found someone to pay him to be a POS, good for him????? OMG, the guy probably couldn't get laid without paying for it if he hung out at a blind woman's convention. They'd hug him and figure out he's fat, and they'd touch his face and figure out he's ugly, too. And they'd listen to that voice of his, and figure out he's just a loser.

This was what the inside of my brain looked like for the first three days I gave up smoking.

I know I'm fighting a losing battle here, but:

Pat Reusse is a very talented writer. He's been nominated for the writer's wing of the baseball hall of fame. That doesn't happen to no-talent hacks.

There are really about 3 different versions of Reusse. When he's writing about town-team baseball, or MIAC football, he is very straight-forward. When he's writing about pro sports, he takes a different tone. And when he's trying to get under someone's skin, that's when he really goes full-out with the snark and the cynical attitude. Like it or not, Reusse loves to agitate, and the more people on Gopher Hole get worked up, the more he's going to take shots at GH.

Bottom line, based on 40 years of reading his stuff, it's pretty clear that Reusse has certain things that set him off. Rich owners and fat cats who appear to be gouging the public (Ziggy), and anyone - Coach, AD, GM, player, whoever, who Reusse perceives as a phony. (Spielman).

Reusse has said many times he was a big Gopher fan as a kid. I do not think he hates the program. He just doesn't like some of the people who have been associated with the program. And, he knows he can generate website hits and boost his radio ratings by being the agitator - being the guy that people get ticked off at.

If you want Reusse to leave Gopher hole alone, then don't start threads complaining about him. Sticks and stones. It's only words. let it go.

I know I'm fighting a losing battle here, but:

Pat Reusse is a very talented writer. He's been nominated for the writer's wing of the baseball hall of fame. That doesn't happen to no-talent hacks.

There are really about 3 different versions of Reusse. When he's writing about town-team baseball, or MIAC football, he is very straight-forward. When he's writing about pro sports, he takes a different tone. And when he's trying to get under someone's skin, that's when he really goes full-out with the snark and the cynical attitude. Like it or not, Reusse loves to agitate, and the more people on Gopher Hole get worked up, the more he's going to take shots at GH.

Bottom line, based on 40 years of reading his stuff, it's pretty clear that Reusse has certain things that set him off. Rich owners and fat cats who appear to be gouging the public (Ziggy), and anyone - Coach, AD, GM, player, whoever, who Reusse perceives as a phony. (Spielman).

Reusse has said many times he was a big Gopher fan as a kid. I do not think he hates the program. He just doesn't like some of the people who have been associated with the program. And, he knows he can generate website hits and boost his radio ratings by being the agitator - being the guy that people get ticked off at.

If you want Reusse to leave Gopher hole alone, then don't start threads complaining about him. Sticks and stones. It's only words. let it go.

Oh, you mean like this thread? It wasn't complaining about Reusse, it was complaining about people who are upset feeding him.

"If you love him, make sure that you make him happy by reacting and calling him names.:horse::horse::horse:"

This thread shows why Reusse goes after the Gopherhole. Literally half of the posters come off as insane.

Top Bottom