LB Braelen Oliver Commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Douglasville, GA LB Braelen Oliver has committed to the Gophers over offers from Iowa State, Indiana, West Virginia and others.

The 6-foot-1, 218-pound linebacker is rated as a three-star, according to 24/7 Sports. This is now the Gophers' 24th commitment in the 2018 class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That must have been one hell-of-ah BBQ!

Big time get. I have a feeling Oliver was a priority for the Peej.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, good weekend for Gopher football! This guy really flies to the ball.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/1550523/581f63083bd81437e4707cc0' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok, I am not expert, and I don't watch a lot of these highlight clips of recruits, but this is one of, if not the most impressed I've been after watching one.

1st of all, he can catch the ball, as a receiver or punt or kickoff returner. Not a bad skill set to have.

2nd, I know its against high school players, but he just seems to have a motor on him, he seems to explode out of the gate. Maybe not the fastest guy going down the field after the first 20 yards, but often times it's that first 10-20 yards that makes all the difference.

3rd, something that seemed to make up for his possibly lacking some finishing speed, is his tenacity once opposing players get within range to tackle him. He wiggled out of some spots where it looked like he was tackled and got more yards, other times he just kept moving his legs and got 5-10 more yards, and there was one play where it looked like it took 8 or 9 of the opposing players to bring him down.

4th, finally, the thing I thought was most significant was how he seemed to read the field, both on offense and on defense. Now granted this was a highlight reel, but I only saw one tackle that was questionable, where he kind of got the guy around the neck going out of bounds, otherwise every other tackle seemed to me to be textbook tackling. This is something that always bothered me when watching Glen Mason Era Gopher teams, they were sloppy tacklers and missed far too many opportunities to actually bring the opponent down when they should have. This kid seemed to know how to tackle a guy. PJF likes him, I'm guessing they didn't see him missing lots of tackles in the plays that didn't make the highlight reel.

Welcome to the U Mr Oliver

Top Bottom